Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
new to the RC cars >

new to the RC cars

new to the RC cars

Old 12-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default new to the RC cars

hi all, i got hold of an Axial ax10 second hand. its had a few upgrades, all arms and links have been replaced with ally and a few other mods im not sure on them all. its got a new motor slightly different size but same specs and other custom stuff. i have just done the steering servo, pulled it apart to see whats going on and one of the cogs has lost some teeth now do i find a new cog or replace the entire servo. its a Ansmann Racing 3kg power servo.
also having an issue where the throttle gets sticky some times.
also is there anything thing else i should look at upgrading or checking on it? its my first car and so far am very happy with it. any help would be great thanks.
as an extra i have no shops where i am so where do u buy from online.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to RCs.

A 3kg-cm servo is about 40 oz-in of torque. That's pretty low. I wouldn't bother replacing the gear set. I would just purchase another servo. What servo? That depends on what you want to do with your rig. I'm running 400+ oz-in at 7.4V and all I do is light trails. Totally overkill. I would say look for a servo with maximum torque that your budget allows for what you intend to do with your truck. Torque isn't everything. There's also centering attributes, longevity, and speed which isn't too high a priority for me on a crawler. As far as the "sticking", that could be any number of things. I'd start with removing the motor and checking for binding in the drivetrain. Same goes for suspension. Remove the shocks and check for binding in the links, arms, etc.

These are some basic things to check. I don't own an SCX10. I own an Ascender. I'm sure others on the board will chime in and give your more info on what to look out for on that chassis.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Tech Rookie

ok ill look around forca New servo and check other thing's thanks for the help.
my throttle issuse, some times it will lock on in forwards or backwards and the car wont stop.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Ah OK. I would reset the transmitter (TX), receiver (RX), and electronic speed control (ESC) settings. Let us know what electronics gear you are running. You likely have to re-calibrate your throttle neutral, full throttle, and full brake settings for you TX and ESC. Typical TXs and require your subtrims and trim functions to be set at neutral during calibration. Please refer to the instruction manuals for your specific gear. If you don't have the hard copies you can usually find a soft copy on the web. If you're still having issues, send me a PM and we can chat over the phone.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Tech Rookie

ok ill give that a go when i can. looks like i have a GV racing electric speed control. and AR-3 reciver and the motor has no markings on it. atm running some crap 9.6v 2Ah NiMH batteries basically 8 AA's in a pack.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Tech Rookie

so i dont have a bind chip. so i may be up for a new transmiter and full elec kit? is there another option? if not what is a good entry level brand to look at and should i be looking at setting up for water proofing?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

I'm not convinced you need a new radio system just yet. It sounds like you have Axial's AX-3/AR-3 TX and RX system which should be more than adequate to get you going.

To rebind and set back to factory settings you can follow the instructions here:

http://www.axialracing.com/instructions

(2nd link under "electronics")

If you don't have a binding plug, you can make one like shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/FD5Fq62wWj4

Or you can purchase a new one:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektru...FceOfgodd2YM-g

Or I can send you one.

All of the above work is just to get your TX/RX re-bound. However, if your TX and RX are communicating, then it is likely your ESC-to-radio calibration. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate a manual for your ESC. Do you know if the GV Racing ESC is a rebranded version of something else? For instance, if it is a rebranded Hobbywing 45A ESC, then you can follow the instructions for ESC setup here:

http://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/EzRunWP80A.pdf
Old 12-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Tech Rookie

unknown about the esc. i will keeping looking myself on that one. i have done all the rest and have not been able to get motor stuck in drive again yet but with no servo for steering can only test so much. thanks for your help man has been great now i will have a look for a new servo. I've seen some expensive amd some cheap ones its crazy.