Wraith tranny

Old 03-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wraith tranny

Hi guys new to the crawler scene. I'm building a wraith out of parts because I was gonna upgrade everything anyways so it's cheaper this way for me. It will be powered by a brushless motor and I will be running it on 3s. My questions are on the tranny. I have the bulletproof driveline already put together. Vanquish curries front and rear vanquish lockers front rear vvds up front however the stock axles are in the rear housing being I couldn't find an upgrade for that. MIP shafts but I'm kinda lost when it comes to the tranny so this is where I need your expertise! Thanks.....
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

This is as about stout as they come: http://supershafty.com/transmissions...oof-trans.html
You will need the 6mm adapters for the trans end drive shafts.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRTMI
This is as about stout as they come: http://supershafty.com/transmissions...oof-trans.html
You will need the 6mm adapters for the trans end drive shafts.
Lol you're absolutely right! However that does blow my budget on the tranny out of the water! Ever heard anything good or bad about the Hot Racing single speed tranny?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by FastZach32
Lol you're absolutely right! However that does blow my budget on the tranny out of the water! Ever heard anything good or bad about the Hot Racing single speed tranny?
IMHO SuperShafty literally makes exactly what they claim..."bombproof trannys" however there's plenty of other ways to build a SuperShafty based Axial ax10/scx10 tranny cheaper than building a Wraith bulletproof tranny.

All you need is really is SuperShafty's larger input top shaft to run a Robinson 32p Gen3 Slipper and lock that slipper all the way down. Next will need either Axial, Hot Racing, or Robinson hardened steel idler gear and hardened steel lower single piece solid output gear. I say 6mm is overkill unless you're running some sort of ridiculous sensored 4 pole 550 sized beast like a Tekin Pro4 HD 3500kv on 3s.

The only experience I have with Hot Racing's hardened steel is with their lockers on my Wraith and all my other Axial based rigs which never gave me issues. I just run Robinson internals because it's the best you can buy.

You will also eventually want an aluminum tranny housing because over time the plastic Axial's will get too loose and break. Up to you because it all depends on yr running gear. Some plastic housings with just a Robinson loaded tranny with a 32p Kimborough spur conversion plus a handwound 35T professional motor on 3s can last years. Depends on your running gear again and RTR weight of your rig.

Hope that helps!