Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
What electronics for a crawler kit? >

What electronics for a crawler kit?

What electronics for a crawler kit?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What electronics for a crawler kit?

I have no idea what kit, possibly wraith or scx10. I'm toying with the idea of ditching my sc10 and was hoping to repurpose some of the electronics. I have a tekin rs pro and a savox 1258tg. I know tis esc is more for racing, but I was thinking it could handle a high turn motor. What torque do you normally shoot for in a servo? The servo I have is a quick one for racing with decent torque .08 sec and 166 oz, I just bought another one of these which I could exchange for a different one @ .15 sec and 277 oz.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn View Post
I have no idea what kit, possibly wraith or scx10. I'm toying with the idea of ditching my sc10 and was hoping to repurpose some of the electronics. I have a tekin rs pro and a savox 1258tg. I know tis esc is more for racing, but I was thinking it could handle a high turn motor. What torque do you normally shoot for in a servo? The servo I have is a quick one for racing with decent torque .08 sec and 166 oz, I just bought another one of these which I could exchange for a different one @ .15 sec and 277 oz.
Esc and servos a perfectly accetable. You would have to waterproof the items. Buy corrosion x in a pumper bottle from amazon and go from there. Wraith is faster 13.5 brushless 20 turn brushed and the scale scx10 usually are 17.5 to 25.5 brushless and 27 turn to 65 turn. The thing about the wraith is i see people running behind them on trails up hill down hill rocks sticks can be amusing. I use a 35 turn in an scx10 walking speed. Twice as addictive as racing
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

^^ only if you plan to run in water/mud.

I generally run 27-35t brushed, or around 2200kv sensored brushless in both wraiths and SCX's, and vary if needed with gearing. Electronics wise, you're in good shape with what you have.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Novak Eiger/Pro, either is great. Brushed motors for crawling seem to work best(my preference). If you can find a Novak Rooster Crawler (used only)no longer made, that is a great esc to use, not waterproof, but I don't run in mud or water. Get a metal gear, hi torque servo with a 2.4 low cost radio and good to go. Some may ask why a low cost radio? The reason is if you buy a expensive radio and rock crawl a lot, you fall and break a low end radio your out not much at all. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sobiski racer View Post
I use a 35 turn in an scx10 walking speed. Twice as addictive as racing
+1 not only is it addictive but for a fat @$$ like me its great exersize
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

I use a speed passion prevention r and a 17.5 motor
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Is a tekin RS going to work very well on my wraith? I am running a brushed 55t tekin. Seems like the drag brake is weak. Any thoughts would be great.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
^^ only if you plan to run in water/mud.

I generally run 27-35t brushed, or around 2200kv sensored brushless in both wraiths and SCX's, and vary if needed with gearing. Electronics wise, you're in good shape with what you have.
With a crawler, you should always plan to run in water and mud. Water and mud are in abundant supply when you're not driving on pavement.

- - -

All of my crawling/trailing suggestions can be found in my two build threads:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-...al-wraith.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-...telluride.html

Pardon my laziness, but it's just easier to link to what I've already written than to try to guess which bits will actually seem important to you. There's lots of stuff in there you haven't asked about yet, but might give you ideas as you're finalizing your build plans.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
With a crawler, you should always plan to run in water and mud. Water and mud are in abundant supply when you're not driving on pavement.
None of my 15 trail trucks are waterproofed in any way. I do not do mud and water personally. I will clarify:

This is running ON a muddy patch of trail, of which there is an abundance in our area. Tiptoed through here carefully, and about as much mud as I went through last summer...I was feeling adventurous I guess. Generally, I would have drove around it.

If you plan to submerge rigs completely IN creeks, or drive through deep mud pits, then yes - of course you'll want to waterproof your electronics.

Driving through water and mud has all kinds of effects other than just the electronics - bearings seizing, rust, general mess, etc. It's a whole lot more maintenance, and some people prefer not to deal with it, including about 1/2 our club. My general rule is I keep the water level below the axle line. I won't go any deeper, but that's my choice.

The blanket statement "you need XYZ" is always misleading. It's not something you "need", it's something to think about, and plan for accordingly.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

None of my 15 trail trucks are waterproofed in any way. I do not do mud and water personally. I will clarify:

This is running ON a muddy patch of trail, of which there is an abundance in our area. Tiptoed through here carefully, and about as much mud as I went through last summer...I was feeling adventurous I guess. Generally, I would have drove around it.

If you plan to submerge rigs completely IN creeks, or drive through deep mud pits, then yes - of course you'll want to waterproof your electronics.

Driving through water and mud has all kinds of effects other than just the electronics - bearings seizing, rust, general mess, etc. It's a whole lot more maintenance, and some people prefer not to deal with it, including about 1/2 our club. My general rule is I keep the water level below the axle line. I won't go any deeper, but that's my choice.

The blanket statement "you need XYZ" is always misleading. It's not something you "need", it's something to think about, and plan for accordingly.
I like the red
Old 05-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

My "blanket statement" was in regards to planning. So I'm not sure what you're on about.

It's nice that you tiptoed through the wet and muddy sections, not my idea of fun but whatever -- but surely you can recognize and admit the benefit of having an all-terrain vehicle that doesn't glitch-out and grind to a halt if you fail to tiptoe carefully enough.

For the record, I waterproofed the ESC and light controller in my Wraith by pulling the case off and coating the circuit board with clear nail polish. (the Spektrum receiver is already water-resistant, probably with a similar treatment, and hasn't given me any trouble.) A nice thick coating of the stuff will soak in, around, and under all the little components and seal them for all eternity (or at least the portion of eternity that matters.) Some people put way more effort in, potting in silicone and wrapping in baggies with zip-ties around the wires, but I've found the nail-polish method to be plenty effective as long as you're thorough about it.

I know running through mud and water causes things to rust. I consider that rust to be part of the aesthetic of my Wraith, and wherever the rust may become problematic, I apply oil periodically to prevent parts from seizing together. My Wraith is the bashiest of all my basher vehicles, upgraded to handle getting the crap kicked out of it for months on end without parts-failure. Unlike some of my other vehicles, what I appreciate about my Wraith is that I can do whatever I want to it, short of dropping it off a cliff, and it will keep running. That puts a lot of wear on the drivetrain, but it continues to function even in its worn condition, and I find that admirable. A well-engineered system shouldn't require meticulous maintenance to function properly as it wear-out, provided it is operating in its intended conditions -- which is why everything in my Wraith's drivetrain except the spur gear is hardened steel.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 05-18-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I use a Castle Sidewinder and a brushed motor for my crawling and trail running. Only my receiver is pretty water tight but I wouldn't say you could submerse it. I have it in a Traxxas receiver box which will keep most of anything I will run thru off it. For me I know my trucks will never tough mud ever and maybe at best some water on a paved road but that is as close as any of my stuff will get and that includes the stuff I race. My stuff always looks brand new every time I take it out and mud sucks to clean up and me personally don't find any fun in driving thru it including when I have my 4 wheeler which again was always spotless. Yeah i hit muddy trails but I didn't do like some guys and have snorkels and submerse my whole 4 wheeler in a mud hole. I still had tons and tons of fun without mud but to each is to own so build accordingly to how you plan on running your stuff.

Last edited by wyd; 05-20-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I still had tons and tons of fun without mud but to each is to own so build accordingly to how you plan on running your stuff.
That's exactly the point I was making. Lost on some.

Have we beat this drive-by post to death yet?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

To me the beauty of the crawlers is you can build or do whatever you want. When I race I have to conform a lot more onto what works ala my B5M. I needed something that works so its Losi or Associated for 2wd buggy. For crawling its build whatever you want as long as your having fun.

I know for me as soon as you add the words racing, or competing then that means not as much fun and way more money being spent.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run tekin Rs/pro/gen2 in all 5 of my rigs with tekin roc412's. I do not do the Mud And water though. No sense in trying to waterproof a tekin system and take a chance of screwing up any kind of warranty on them.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.