Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Need help choosing >

Need help choosing

Need help choosing

Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Need help choosing

I'm a trucker and when I'm home I race my Mugens however I want something I can take with me to just play when I have time. I don't need or want a full blown comp crawler but I want something that is capable of crawling. I really like the Wraith, plus all the options that are available. But after the reviews I've read, there's always a long list of must haves to make it a good truck. I don't really care about scale and I'm not looking to jump it off a house, just playing on trails and hills. What would y'all recommend? I also don't care if it's a kit or rtr, just fun and reliable. Thx in advance
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by polarbear72 View Post
I'm a trucker and when I'm home I race my Mugens however I want something I can take with me to just play when I have time. I don't need or want a full blown comp crawler but I want something that is capable of crawling. I really like the Wraith, plus all the options that are available. But after the reviews I've read, there's always a long list of must haves to make it a good truck. I don't really care about scale and I'm not looking to jump it off a house, just playing on trails and hills. What would y'all recommend? I also don't care if it's a kit or rtr, just fun and reliable. Thx in advance
The Wraith is a great choice. Its more of an all around setup that can do some crawling. light jumping and also has a little speed to go with it. All good crawlers still have weak areas but I would just run it some and order better parts as you break the old ones. If your going to hammer down then more stuff will break and if your killing time and doing more slower type stuff then less will break on it.

If your getting a RTR setup then I would say every RTR from off road to crawling to oval all come with weak servos so down the road an upgraded servo is a great first improvement but not needed right away.

Wraith like you said is also nice because you can get a ton of after market stuff for it if you choose to.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

wraith all the way... You will have alot easier time finding parts for it also..
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Dare I say telluride.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod87 View Post
Dare I say telluride.
Have you tried crawling with one of those..Parts are easy to get but it isnt much of a crawler...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Buy the wraith...once you take it out if the box and put a decent servo on it you will be extremely happy with your descision.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Wraith is a good machine but I seem, to break the plastic knuckle setup too easily. The telluride just needs silly putty or jb weld in the diffs to lock them or super heavy diff oil and away you go. I'm not a traxxas fanboy or a axial hater (I've had lot's of both) but traxxas stuff just doesnt break.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go with a Wraith andjust replace stuff if and when it breaks.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

how abouit the Scx ?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Crawler Ted View Post
how abouit the Scx ?
It looks like a nice scale/trail type rig but I think for my purposes a Wraith type truck is more along my needs