new to crawling

Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to crawling

Hello,
I am new to the hobby of crawling. I just got an Axial AX10 that's very nice. I took it out today just to see what it would do on some big rocks I have in my yard.

I have a few questions about this thing.

how do you know what to weigh the front tires to? is there a comp rule?

I know from looking at videos on the net that I should be getting more flex out of it. how do I get this?

what is better locking or steerable rear axle?

thanks for the help
bg
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rear steer on a scx10 is not something alot of people do and I don't think its allowed in comps. As for the flex it depends how much flex you are getting. DO you have a pic? Flex all depends on set-up. I couldn't tell you anything about weighting your tires since I don't weight my tires.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Try changing the front and rear upper links to a 4 link setup.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

There is no rule on wheel weight but consider the more you add is just that much more rotating mass the drivetrain must turn. Most cases I would run 5 to 6 oz is each front wheel and 2 to 3 in each rear wheel....if your going the "weighted wheel" route. You can also weight the knuckle and run the wheels unweighted, but it comes down to preference and rig setup.

With articulation, too much will hurt you and your rig will never settle or work like it should. Set one front wheel on a beer can the rear should be just getting ready to lift. You can limit this by adding spacers to the shock shaft. Moving the links inboard of the chassis, high clearance lower arms and a 4-link setup is a must.

Another great tip with a shaft driven crawler is to "mirror" the transmission or build it backwards so the motor sits on the right side of the chassis. This will help with "torque twist" and help keep all four wheels planted.

As far as rear steer.....I would lean more toward a Dig, your still running a third channel but the rig will turn almost on it's axis and will be more helpful than a rear steer setup for about the same cost.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Wow, I learn something here.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Me too lol