Search

wheel weights help??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default wheel weights help??

My first crawler and doing some upgrades its an axial deadbolt. Got beadlock 2.2 wheels and tires and some of the axial weight rings that wrap around the wheels.
Question is do I need to secure the rings in some way like 2 sided tape to the rims or will the tire and foam hold it in place
Old 12-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default wheel weights

i used electrical tape to secure my weights just so i dont have any "moving" things in my wheels in case they came apart. most wheels weights have sticky stuff on one size that ""should"" hold it forever but yah never know. and also it depends on how much weight your adding. i have 12oz of weight in each front wheel on my honcho. i have 2.2 tsl super swampers. and it does fantastic. also have the battery up in the front too. hope that helps yah out
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default forgot to mention

forgot to mention, th best weights ive found to use so far and cheapest. found at the local tire shop are just ordinary wheel weights that they use to put on car tires. the stick on kind of course not the hammer on kind lol. might save you from having to run all over the place.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Those weights are designed to be held together with the screws provided and your foam inserts are supposed to keep the weights from sliding around. For added security, you could add double-sided tape; it sure wouldn't hurt.

But like was said, you can use the automotive lead weights or most hobby shops sell packages of stick-on weights. My LHS sells these for pinewood derby cars.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK204

6 oz for $5.50 or the Axial rings which are only 2oz for almost $10.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If the weights didn't come with the sticky tape, then simply cut some electrical tape or gorilla tape in a strip as wide as you wheels, lay the weights on the sticky side of the tape with the proper spacing to fit between the weight holders on your wheels. After you get them in position you can add a couple extra wraps of tape. With the foams and tape in place your weights will stay in position.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Yep, just place them in the wheel evenly and put a couple wraps of electric tape around them, theyll stay forever

LIK
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wrapped lead solder around my wheels before putting the tires on. Half pound on each side, only up front.

Made HUGE difference in how well the thing could climb.