Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Crawler fail? My brushless version of the new Traxxas Telluride 4x4 >

Crawler fail? My brushless version of the new Traxxas Telluride 4x4

Crawler fail? My brushless version of the new Traxxas Telluride 4x4

Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default Crawler fail? My brushless version of the new Traxxas Telluride 4x4

So there's this "new" trail truck type RTR RC about to come out called the Traxxas Telluride. I saw it listed for $250 at Stormer Hobbies today. I can't decide what to think about this. The Telluride is made of 90% pre-existing components (Stampede 4WD chassis, cheaped down Slash/Pede F/R, old school XL5 esc and brushed motor, new style Traxxas body and wheels). Lots of available parts and a familiar, well-designed, easy to work on setup. Sounds like a great starter 1/10 4x4 RC, nothing more.

Today via Craigslist I acquired a Slash 4x4 roller with a Stampede 4WD chassis. If you upgraded a stock Telluride, this is what you would have. More durable suspension from Slash 4x4, bumpers, and soon will have 1.9 or 2.2 crawler wheels/tires, a more suitable body, and a sensored brushless high turn 550 size can and 80-120A esc. Should be fun on both 2S and 3S lipo.

Disclaimer: I own two Axial SCX10 trucks and they bore me. Drivetrain is too weak and too many necessary upgrades. And brushed setups will never satisfy my need for occasional speed. I'm not going to post much more until I get around to setting up this rc. Until then whether you hate it or love it, feel free to post your thoughts. Feel free to ask questions if you're curious.

Here's a pic of a Slash 4x4 next to my project roller with shorter and more LCG Stampede 4WD chassis.
Attached Thumbnails Crawler fail? My brushless version of the new Traxxas Telluride 4x4-image.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nice, planning on the same kind of project at some point. Have all kinds of solid axle rigs - indy trail trucks are interesting for the challenge imho. I'm having a ball running my S4x4 at the moment, but when I get bored I'll start the same kind of project (which is why I bought it in the first place).

2 things come to mind

Gearing - the platform has rather high gearing. I plan a 2:1 reduction box to gear it down to trail speeds and torque. Revo/Maxx spools are also on order as well. Parts interchangeability is a wondrous thing.

Wheels - SC wheels are just not the best for trails. They'll work, but I personally want something more aggressive and a bit taller. Looking to either cut a set of crawler 2.2's to fit on the odd SC rim or mod the front suspension so that it clears a regular 2.2 rim. Thinking an HPI C-hub and knuckle will drop right in there. Then just need to mod the front to use a dogbone.

Curious to see how your project works out.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You could get the rpm wide track revolvers. The ofset is enough to clear the front and rear uprights.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

They are 2.2 not 1.9 though.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

They are definitely an option. Gives you a really wide track though.

I nailed it last night...need to order a part or two, or rob them from another rig to finish it up. Swapped out the C-hubs for a set of Tamiya's and now have the clearance to run standard 2.2's all around. Track width is only 2mm wider than the rear per side. I'll get it posted eventually.

So...where's the build?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This rig most definitely has to be 1.9. A set of 2.2 would look goofy.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Standard 2.2's on a slash/pede. No super wide offset needed. If it helps, I can get a parts list. Couple of kinks to work out, but very possible.

Last edited by OSRC; 09-26-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

I'm curious about this rig isn't it a slash 4x4 older chassis not the LCG and with the updated plastic shafts on center and all 4 corners? Couple it with shorter arms.....I'm thinking could have possibility of a true scale rally machine with the right mods.

Anyone know the wheelbase and track width?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Which rig? The one I posted a pic of? Yes, it's a Slash 4x4 with the old style chassis.

A Telluride or pede chassis will get you in WR8 territory as far as wheelbase, though still a bit wider. Bandit rear arms all around will get you in the ballpark for width, but you'd have to figure out something for the front hubs like shown in the pic. 2.2 wheels will not clear the weird front C hubs unless they have a ton of offset.

All the specs are on Traxxas's site.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Ahhh thanks. Yes I did a half lazy conversion on my old Slash 4x4 PE limiting shocks and making custom mounts to fit an Inferno GT1 Subaru body on with 1/8 AKA adapters and wheels, but sold it shortly after. Could not be handled in the air let alone on concrete.

Just got a WR8 Flux Ken Block version along with the couple of weeks ago at a heck of a deal with online coupons and free shipping these days. Picked up the Ford Fiesta Abu Dhabi WRC body for $62 shipped off eBay new along with a set of matching WR8 rally wheels/tires for it.

First run this past weekend not too impressed. Definitely going to need a better servo maybe a different motor/esc combo later down the line. Still felt like driving a converted 4x4 stadium truck with shortened arms and waaay too soft suspension.

For the price I don't think it's worth anywhere near listed prices of around $470ish. But then again Slash 4x4's these days are nearly $600 LOL.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Mine was $160. Picked up the rolling chassis and built it up using parts I had laying around. I did buy the upgraded shocks and RPM stuff, but everything else was here from previous hopped up vehicles. No way I was paying full price. This way I don't feel bad hacking it up into a trail rig.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Nice more pics?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tacon 36x60mm 2600kv motor, 18T 32p mod.8 pinion, Sidewinder esc, stock servo, TQi radio.

Still need to replace chewed up spur gear, repair one outer driveshaft, replace F/R bumpers, and get a body. Then I'll try Silly Putty in the front diff, and I'll pack the rear diff with sticky 500K diff fluid. Probably upgrade the servo to 200+oz. I'm gonna leave these aggressive off-road tread SCT tires on for a while - similar to 1.9 crawler tire diameter.

Telluride and Stampede 4x4 bumpers appear to be identical, but Stampede has wheelie bar attached. TRA6712 is the part# for a clear unpainted Telluride body. I'm not really sure what else fits this odd sized rc.

There sure isn't much online about the Telluride. I guess all the people who bought one aren't old enough to post their experiences online

Last edited by matt_is_superco; 10-18-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Diffs
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Fun fact about the Telluride:
Has identical wheelbase length and width as a 1/10 truggy. This is an OFNA Hyper 10TT. I believe the Losi Ten-T also shares this footprint.

1/8 off-road buggies paved the way to the modern GT 1/8 class of rc. Maybe this will bring on a new twist to 1/10 trail trucks made from pre-existing 1/10 truggies Unlikely

Last edited by matt_is_superco; 10-17-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think the Telluride could make a fun llittle trail runner with crawling capabilities between the CC-01 and the SCX's. I've had a little tinker time with it and some spare parts laying around.

Traxxas S1 compound tires (well broken in but un-weighted)
Hot Racing diff spools Fr/Rr
Hitec 645mg servo (133oz/in torque)
4mm metal wheel hexes
HPI 7.4:1 GRU and 26t pinion
HPI 27t silver can motor
HPI Defender body from an old Crawler King
Turnigy 2200mah 2s lipo

With the 7.4:1 and 26t pinion, I'm getting a FDR of 67:1 which is almost too slow with the 27t motor. I have a 20t I might throw in if I have time. Changing the location of the outer tie rod end and upgrading the servo made a huge difference in its turning ability. The factory filled diffs were okay but the Hot Racing spools made a night and day difference in traction. On the couple of club runs I've taken it on it's done suprisingly well. The approach/departure angles are great but it doesn't have the breakover angle that the SCX's do.

My next round of experimenting will be to swap the HPI GRU for a GD-600 geared to 3:1 to get some wheelspeed back. I'm also going to mod my spare set of ProLine Flat Irons to fit some narrow offset SC wheels.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.