Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Forward and Reverse ESC >

Forward and Reverse ESC

Forward and Reverse ESC

Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Forward and Reverse ESC

Hello, I do not have much experience with ESC's other than in no reverse racing and in electric helli's. I stopped by my local shop but the guy working just didn't understand what I am looking for, and sold me something that I wasn't looking for, twice.

I need an ESC with fully proportional forward and reverse. 100% forward to 0% and on to -100%. I would prefer a brushless setup, but I will need 2 or three motors/ESC's so I am looking for something inexpensive (not cheap, I just don't need all the bells and whistles).

Will the usual ESC/brushlesss "Crawler" labeled combo be capable of this? The last setup I tried was good, except that you could not program out the pause from forward to reverse (only make it longer or shorter). If it paused in both directions that would be alright, but it needs to be the same in both directions.

I am building a camera gimbal head and need the movement to be symmetrical in both directions.

I think I would be interested mostly in 1/18 scale, as the gear reduction will be immense for accuracy.

Thank you
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Figures. As soon as you ask the question, you find some sort of answer.

The Novak Mongoose page: Novak Site

States:

"Servo/Robotic Mode (profile #3) features precise and symmetric motor control in forward and reverse for robot applications, but without the drag brake"

Now to find that on something less expensive. Hopefully that profile isn't a bell or whistle.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All you need is a marine esc. Forward and reverse only. Or, buy a programmable esc in which you can disable the brake mode.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

marine would be the best way to go, i don't know of any others where you can disable the brake.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Control and accuracy, equal in both directions, no hesitation or neutral? Consider using a servo based setup. Perhaps one of the Pan & Tilt kits near the bottom of this page, and a controller from here. You could even use brushless servos.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Perfect, Thanks all.

Dave-

I am building a camera platform for a DSLR with a large lens. I had thought about using a servo, but they don't hold real well, especially for a long time (get hot). If I used a more industrial type servo the expense gets out of control very very quickly. Although its certainly possible via ebay. The controller does need a neutral zone, so the motors can aim the lens then go back to neutral to hold it, guess I wasn't clear about that. I also considered a stepper motor, but they want a signal on how far to move instead of a direction, which would make programming a pain, when you could just use a speed control to move until you get where you want to go and stop. I am goning to be using an Arduino, and unfortunately with the popularity of these style boards, experiment boards, like higher amp motor control (40 amps) are as expensive as a much more durable RC ESC, not to mention bigger.

I have been looking into, and still considering, using large scale high voltage brushless servos set up for continuous rotation, it gets rid of the drive train issue of using motors.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Cool. Obviously the better balanced weight wise the easier on the motors and such whichever way you go. Post up some pics and how it works out if you can, would be interesting for sure.