R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Crawler Room (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room-151/)
-   -   What to get? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room/676332-what-get.html)

Brad.R 11-06-2012 10:10 PM

What to get?

Hey guys I am looking to get a crawler to mess around with in my free time. I am looking for something that looks real as far as the way it looks but I want it to perform Like a comp crawler. What crawler should I get under these circumstances? Not on budget and want the best quality so whats the best out there!

Thanks Brad

freaksofnature 11-06-2012 10:12 PM

if your looking for realism then go with either the axial honcho/dingo or the rc4wd trail finder 2 unfortunately you cant have a scale looking truck that performs like a comp rig

Brad.R 11-06-2012 10:20 PM

I also plan to make it as waterproof as possible as I would like to get a little dirty with it from time to time. Are there any scale rigs out there that have sealed reciever boxes?

freaksofnature 11-06-2012 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brad.R (Post 11413798)
I also plan to make it as waterproof as possible as I would like to get a little dirty with it from time to time. Are there any scale rigs out there that have sealed reciever boxes?

not realy except for the axial wraith but thats more of a rock racer. a lil bit of shoe goo around the seam of the rx box and your good. the newer honcho has the newer ae-2 esc which is water proof and is made by castle. here is a pic of my honcho it has 1.9 pit bull rock beasts a winch, functional spare tire rcgearhead outer rings snatch block and pull pal
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...C4519-orig.jpg

stanmondz 11-07-2012 05:20 AM

scx10 rtr or kit. ether way,fill the axles and tranny with marine grease, keep the water and grit and grim out
you can decase the esc and rx and plastidip em.or paint em with liquid electric tape.you can do the servo the same way or get a hitec WP one,there kinda weak though, and a xl5 esc,water proof vxl is a option to

with no budget
scx10 kit
holmes hobbies BRXL waterproofed esc
motor of your choice, if running in a lot of mud and grim. i recommend cheap throw away motors,you'll go through a lot of em
hitec wp servo, if you want one stronger,you'll have to wing it on waterproofing. not hard to do and several different ways to do it. cms kit helps by putting the servo up higher,some mount the servo inverted output facing down. that will help keep water from pooling up in the electric end of the servo.
radio of your choice, put the rx in a traxxas waterproof box.
also a CC bec. put it in the trx box as well, it'll keep the esc cooler and let you run HV servos at there max voltage
mud,grit and grim will destroy any moving part and bearings, keep that in mind. not much you can do about that

Skiboblitch 11-07-2012 08:37 AM

I think the Traxxas Summit comes out of the box waterproof but it isn't considered a comp crawler. You can cover your electronics with a balloon and it works pretty well on a temporary basis. Stanmodz is correct in that playing in water has it's price. For scale looks Axial is comming out with a new SCX10 Jeep Rubicon that looks excellent.

slyts6 11-08-2012 12:11 AM

I've got an scx10 and an xr10 and they are 2 very different cars
If you want something to look scale and crawl good I'd maybe look into a ridgecrest, or maybe taming a wraith down, but finding one to do both doesn't exist unfortunately.

sdtech58 11-08-2012 01:47 AM

Wraith Kit, then go to the Axial Wraith section of rccrawler.com to see what else to do with it. Do the cage mod, and it looks just like a King of the Hammers rig. Just a fair warning. I bought my Wraith to "pass time", and it became a complete obsession!! Happy scaling!!!

slyts6 11-08-2012 02:23 AM

And a fair warning... You may spend a small fortune on just setting the car alone. The sky is the limit with crawlers!

Skiboblitch 11-08-2012 07:37 AM

I love my Ridgecrest but I had to immediately change the body. The stock body is terrible looking and kept me from buying the Ridgecrest for a while. I then saw all the different body options for it. I bought the '85 Blazer body and it looks pretty good now. I've got a picture in the "Pictures" thread. Different bodies are a cheap way to change up your vehicle.
The big questin is how much of a comp crawler you want.