Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Beginner crawler? >

Beginner crawler?

Beginner crawler?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner crawler?

Hi everyone!
After checking out way to many new Rc trucks I came across a crawler the other day. Since then I've wondered what would be a good beginner crawler. If I can't find a crawler I prob just pick up a 2wd slash from the local shop but I would like to try a crawler.
I would like to stay under 450$ with charger and battery in that amount to. Also I have little experience with crawlers so something easy to work on would be great to, last but not least are there any rtr crawlers that are waterproof or would I have to do that myself? Definately would have to be an RTR model. Thank you for any feed back!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hisliprc33 View Post
Hi everyone!
After checking out way to many new Rc trucks I came across a crawler the other day. Since then I've wondered what would be a good beginner crawler. If I can't find a crawler I prob just pick up a 2wd slash from the local shop but I would like to try a crawler.
I would like to stay under 450$ with charger and battery in that amount to. Also I have little experience with crawlers so something easy to work on would be great to, last but not least are there any rtr crawlers that are waterproof or would I have to do that myself? Definately would have to be an RTR model. Thank you for any feed back!
I would suggest either the Losi Night Crawler or Axial Ridgeline. Either truck is an excellent way to break in if you want to buy new. Personally, not crazy about the Ridgeline body, but the upgrades that Axial has made compared to the older AX10 is really impressive. It has very good axles and transmission.

And there are no water proof crawlers available, that I know of.

I run a couple Losi Comp Crawlers (LCC), love them. The Night Crawler (LNC) is based off the LCC platform. The LCC is IMO the best shaft driven crawler, but they have been discontinued. The LNC is alive and well, and pretty much all the parts that fit the LCC fit the LNC. The Losis have worm gear spool and pinions, but best for crawling (remember, I am bias). I have been comping mine in the Sportsman class (no dig, shaft driven) for over a year and loving it. Great Sportsman rig.

Both these RTRs are set up in with a similar goal in mind. Both platforms are designed to give you the basics and an excellent base to start with. This allows you to upgrade and modify it in the direction that you are wanting to go (Comping, Bashing, Scale, Top Truck, or whatever).

The LNC does not have the aftermarket support of the Axial, by a long shot. But the Losi suspension geometry was designed by 2009 world champ Gatekeeper. And I have had mine for about 4 years, and has been solid for me. Only problems I have had were because my negligence and lack of maintenance. Both have pros and cons, head to their respective threads on RCCrawler.com and see. Both are great rigs that you can bash as they are, or upgrade them for what you are wanting to do.

Another option is to look used. Great way to get upgrades and some of the bugs already worked out...cheap. I have had good success purchasing used crawlers with upgrades that I wanted, and saved a ton of money. Sure some things need to be fixed/repaired, but that is an opportunity to upgrade.

Hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hisliprc33 View Post
Hi everyone!
You might want to check out an Axial Wraith RTR. Pretty decent on the rocks and can easily be made into a high-speed basher, if you decide that the rocks aren't for you. Not waterproof, but "water-resistant". It is a very versatile platform and will keep you interested for a long time. A ton of aftermarket support out there for it, too. The RTR radio is sufficient, but not stellar. RTR ESC is pretty good, but RTR motor is junk. As the previous poster said, there are plenty of used ones out there and that would be an option for you.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

i vote for the axial rtr you like the best, they have the ridgecrest, the wraith and the honcho. The hocho is a scaler looks like a truck you might build, the wraith is really cool too and the ridgecrest is based off the tried and true ax10 chassis all three are alot of fun
Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

The losi night Crawler is a nice rig but IMO too much maintenance because of the worm drive diffs. They are also not as versatile as an axial. I like the axial ax10 based crawler because parts are cheap,plentiful and lots of options. If you decide you don't like crawling and going slow its easy to turn it into a trail rig or scaler or you can build a foff out of it.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ridgecrest or wraith are good choices and leave large amounts of room to customize and advance. Parts support is through the roof.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stickys View Post
ridgecrest or wraith are good choices and leave large amounts of room to customize and advance. Parts support is through the roof.
+1 - I built the wraith kit and it's a great truck. Go Axial.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Here's a picture of my Ridgecrest with a Proline body. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Axial AX10 Scorpion is the best beginner crawler in my opinion.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I know very little about crawlers, but I found a losi night crawler here in the sale forum all I needed was a charger (already had a couple).
It came with radio, lipo,instructions,esc, ect. for $140 to my door.
I agree the extra goodies for it are far and few between but its a blast. We added a tekin motor, a mmp speedo, and Airtronics servo with crazy power...all of that we already had as well.
That said none of it was needed but I can't help myself....lol
Also added 3oz of lead in each front wheel and 1-1/2 in each rear, that helped a lot with stability.
Deals are out there on used if you look for a little bit, I looked for a couple months but wasn't in a rush to buy now.

Good luck, its funny when you get one you will start finding stuff to climb all over the place, yesterday my son was crawling in the area next to Walmart....lol
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

if you want to get into crawling go to rccrawler. com you can find rtr built up axial rig for less than a new one in the box. Good luck ! P.S. Shafty crawlers will never be as good as moa crawlers.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I just got my first crawler. Have dozens of other rc's, but not a scaler/crawler. I bought the scx10 kit since i like to build all my vehicles. I also liked that it was more realistic. They make the rtr version as well and you can find them for $350 or less. Here is a pix of mine with a hummer body on it, and the kit Dingo body. Its a great truck to mess around with in the back yard or on the rocks.
Attached Thumbnails Beginner crawler?-photo-2.jpg   Beginner crawler?-photo-1.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by camobob View Post
P.S. Shafty crawlers will never be as good as moa crawlers.
Lol, try telling my 10y/o that
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Whatever style crawler you get, ( scale, comp, .....) I would go with Axial brand to start out, parts are everywhere for them. and if you want you can build them up with all kinds of goodies.