Wiki Posts
Search

Wraith vs Ridgecrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Wraith vs Ridgecrest

I'm looking to buy either one of these vehicles and I'm curious what other people's opinions are. The Wraith looks cooler but is about $100.00 more (RTR versions). The Ridgecrest is less expensive and seems to have some upgrades above the Wraith. I'm not too keen on the body though. Have any Wraith owner's taken a look at the Ridgecrest?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

+1 for the Wraith. The body alone on the Ridgecrest is enough for me to never buy one. Yuck...

I don't own, nor have I seen a Ridgecrest in person. I do know that the Wraith has a ton of aftermarket support and you can do just about anything you want to it. I've seen videos of damn near comp quality Wraith crawlers, and i've seen videos of 4s Brushless basher-Wraith's flying around at very high speeds. My vote would be 100% for the Wraith.

I would suggest getting the kit version as opposed to the RTR. The RTR speedo is good, but the tires, servo and motor are junk. The kit comes with some aluminum upgrades, R35 Compound tires (much better than RTR) and front universal driveshafts. These are all things you will need to upgrade on the RTR anyways, so why not get them up front?

You can choose your electronics as your budget allows and end up with a much better rig. Yeah, it will cost a little more upfront, but you will be much happier in the end. Check out rccrawler.com when you get a chance. You can see what others are doing with each of these rigs and pick the one that best suits what you want to do with it.

Last edited by sdtech58; 07-22-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Rookie

What more you want - race or crawling?
If offroad race and dirt - Wraith the best.
If crawling by rock, no water and dirt - Ridgecrest.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Same drive train, transmission, axles, etc. between the two. It's really more a question of what you want to do with it and which style body you like.

With some effort you could transform one into the other.

Both are more bashers than crawlers out of the box and they are geared more for speed than crawling. Easy to fix just swap pinion/spur to get either more low end control or more top end.

rccrawler.com has forums for both that will help you in your decision making.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Different frame, ridgecrest is more crawler oriented while the wraith is on the scaler side. I will say the wraith does very well for itself crawling when set up correctly. imo wraith is better choice for most people. kit version if possible is the way to go.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Good advice. Keep 'em comming.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Initiate

wraith hands down
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought the Wraith kit and put it together. Couldn't be happier. It really is a neat machine.

If you haven't built a scale machine before I would recommend trying it. It's pretty cool to have something at the end that looks like a real vehicle.. with an interior and everything. It definitely brings a different aspect to the hobby.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for a Ridgecrest, I have a week old upgraded one that has only seen one battery put through it. Send me a PM. You won't find a better deal on one, as I'd like to move it quick.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...idgecrest.html

Last edited by ThisDougsForU; 07-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

With some open mindedness anything can be done with either, this is my Wraith with a full body. If your more into the scale thing(interior, seats etc) then def go with the Wraith.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im gonna chime back in here after getting even more run time on my wraith. Buy one...or two whatever. I wasn't real sure i was making the right decision when i got into this thing but wow. This truck is fun!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default My 2 cents

I own both and can say that each have goods and bads, yeah the wraith looks more scale, but the ridge can run multiple bodies, they both have the same axles,tranny and links, now i did some home mods at no cost to my ridge,,like cut tires,waterproof and batt up front,, and it goes where my wraith goes,, I dont know about some of the other members but i think the wraith has a new predecessor,,The AX10 Ridgecrest

Now i must say this cause i have this one as well and it out does them both 100 fold BUY A TRAXXAS SUMMIT,
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR.TRAXXAS
Now i must say this cause i have this one as well and it out does them both 100 fold BUY A TRAXXAS SUMMIT,
I'll have some of what he's smokeing.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR.TRAXXAS
I own both and can say that each have goods and bads, yeah the wraith looks more scale, but the ridge can run multiple bodies, they both have the same axles,tranny and links, now i did some home mods at no cost to my ridge,,like cut tires,waterproof and batt up front,, and it goes where my wraith goes,, I dont know about some of the other members but i think the wraith has a new predecessor,,The AX10 Ridgecrest

+1.....couldn't agree more on the Summit! I've had some comp crawlers, wraith was a pita IMO, tipped over half the time & just didn't have that much fun w/it & cannot do half of what I can do w/my Summit. It was cool & all & I'm not bashing it but it just wasn't for me. I had a summit a while ago & sold it to get into the scale crawler scene which was fun for a while but just had a tick for gettin back to the summit which I finally did & haven't looked back since! I've been finding ways of making the Summit for scale like, I just finished up painting my 92 Jeep Cherokee body w/some Proline accessories (roof rack etc....) winch, & it looks awesome & performs great, either way you'll have fun bro, everyone has their own tastes & opinions on here, best thing you can do experiment & find what works for you.

Last edited by venom_sc8e; 08-11-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by transambill
I'll have some of what he's smokeing.
LoL i can share bro got plenty,, but i still say THE SUMMIT IS KING, i love all my scalers/crawlers, but if you wanna go anywhere and do anything,, and i mean anything,, well there's nothing on the market that can go and do like THE SUMMIT right out of the box,,, oh and just for the record you spelled smokeing wrong,, its spelled like this smoking so maybe you should be sharing with me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.