Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
a few questions >

a few questions

a few questions

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default a few questions

ok new to crawling but not rc. I am ordering a lcc and have a couple of questions and any help would be appriciated. First off, I was looking at a couple of esc motor combos that people are running in this rig and the seem preety pricey. Am I going to have to drop like $250 bucks on this and just deal with it or is there a cheapier alturnitive? Also I had read that overheating is a possible problem with this crawler. If so I would like to know any tips and tricks to avoid this as much as possible. Another question is, what size pinion and what pitch should I use? And the last and final question is are the tires that this rig comes with decent, or, should I go drop $60 or $70 on the hpi rock grabbers that I am hearing so much about. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by taic480 View Post
ok new to crawling but not rc. I am ordering a lcc and have a couple of questions and any help would be appriciated. First off, I was looking at a couple of esc motor combos that people are running in this rig and the seem preety pricey. Am I going to have to drop like $250 bucks on this and just deal with it or is there a cheapier alturnitive? Also I had read that overheating is a possible problem with this crawler. If so I would like to know any tips and tricks to avoid this as much as possible. Another question is, what size pinion and what pitch should I use? And the last and final question is are the tires that this rig comes with decent, or, should I go drop $60 or $70 on the hpi rock grabbers that I am hearing so much about. Thanks in advance.
The HB White Dot Rovers and Losi Boss Claws in the red compound seem to be the most popular tire choices. I run Losi Comp Claws on my LNC and they work well for me. I am running a brushed motor with success in the LNC, but I have no experience with the LCC which has a very different trans ratio. Someone else with experience with the LCC will have to chime in.
Be aware that the diff worms need to be greased often. A lot of the "motor" problems people report are actually caused by inadequate lubrication of the worms. Jerry
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by taic480 View Post

as far as the motor esc i ran a holmes hobbies brxl and his 35 turn expert motor before i changed to the moa kit http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php

on the tires it really depends on the type of rocks you want to crawl on. we comp at a few different places and i run a different tire and wheel combo depending on where we are at but for just a good general tire you cant go wrong with a set of rovers

i would recommend checking out the losi comp crawler section over on rccrawler.com there will be answers to any questions you have on there