Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Advice: Looking to buy an RC crawler to match my full-size crawler.. >

Advice: Looking to buy an RC crawler to match my full-size crawler..

Advice: Looking to buy an RC crawler to match my full-size crawler..

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Advice: Looking to buy an RC crawler to match my full-size crawler..

I'm looking for some advice, I build full-size rock crawlers and race cars for a living and I'd like to get into an RC crawler that can be built to kind resemble my full-size rig.

I'd like the vehicle to also be a kit (not a RTR) as I enjoy the build process

I'm a big fan of Tamiya-branded stuff and the CR-01 kit with the wrangler body looks ultra-realistic, too bad it's a YJ. So far I'm leaning towards this kit and modifying the front headlights to be like a proper Jeep (round). The proportions really do look similar to how a stretched out wrangler looks sitting on 40" tires (like mine).

I also like the Axial SCX10 or Wraith for the chassis, I just can't seem to find a TJ wrangler body. The chassis layout looks good and the options look endless for this kit as well (more so than the Tamiya).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attached is a pic of my Jeep I'd like the kit to resemble.
Attached Thumbnails Advice: Looking to buy an RC crawler to match my full-size crawler..-jeep.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You have a PM let me say welcome to the scaler world what you want is very possible you will definately have to build it and you won't find it in kit form. looks like your jeep is a tj to me you can find hard bodies and for yours you'll have to find a new bright body and i would suggest either an scx 10 or check out rc4wd for some of their chassis
Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks a lot for the help.

rc4wd has some awesome stuff, I've never heard of them. A lot of it looks so similar to what we use in our full-size rigs!

Originally Posted by jfergz View Post
You have a PM let me say welcome to the scaler world what you want is very possible you will definately have to build it and you won't find it in kit form. looks like your jeep is a tj to me you can find hard bodies and for yours you'll have to find a new bright body and i would suggest either an scx 10 or check out rc4wd for some of their chassis
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There are a lot of whys you can build your scale rig but the best thing to do is start with you plat form and wheel base....

you can always find a body and there are plenty of builds to us as reference..

build threads like rccrawler.com/forum and scale4x4rc.org and there are a few more that will help you with your built and alot of questions you might have...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help; I'm checking out some builds now!

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There are a lot of whys you can build your scale rig but the best thing to do is start with you plat form and wheel base....

you can always find a body and there are plenty of builds to us as reference..

build threads like rccrawler.com/forum and scale4x4rc.org and there are a few more that will help you with your built and alot of questions you might have...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

if you go with the wraith and want a round eye jeep body dynamic concepts sells a rubi body for the wraith
linky -----> http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/dc071201.htm
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Tj crawler

Hey Bro ,I have axial based crawler ,has a full size cage ,exoskelton cage ,brushless system in it ,super swampers ,black wheels ,tractor supply tool box in back ,Thgats where I hid the esc and the lipo .it is yellow but can be painted to match your jeep .I have recently got out of crawling and rc ,it only needs a radio and receiver ,Ill even throw in a charger to charge the lipo .It comes with 1 lipo .it crawls very well ,has a custom hand built frame ,cage and all the links ....Ill take 300.00 and we split shipping ....motor and speedo cost me 189.00 ...like I said just lost interest ,or would trade for a deer gun ....30-06 or a 7mm .if you want pics send me your email addy in a pm .lockers and whole works ,,,...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Initiate

That's perfect.

It's comp cut in the rear with fenders just like the ones I make/have on my Jeep! It looks like it's based off a JK (unfortunately), but it's probably as close as I'm going to get.

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by freaksofnature View Post
if you go with the wraith and want a round eye jeep body dynamic concepts sells a rubi body for the wraith
linky -----> http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/dc071201.htm
Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the offer, it sounds like you've done lots of work to it.

I'm really looking to put this together myself; it's one the of things I enjoy most about the hobby.

I'm sure you'll sell that thing easily at that price if you post it in the for sale section!

Originally Posted by Bjeepn View Post
Hey Bro ,I have axial based crawler ,has a full size cage ,exoskelton cage ,brushless system in it ,super swampers ,black wheels ,tractor supply tool box in back ,Thgats where I hid the esc and the lipo .it is yellow but can be painted to match your jeep .I have recently got out of crawling and rc ,it only needs a radio and receiver ,Ill even throw in a charger to charge the lipo .It comes with 1 lipo .it crawls very well ,has a custom hand built frame ,cage and all the links ....Ill take 300.00 and we split shipping ....motor and speedo cost me 189.00 ...like I said just lost interest ,or would trade for a deer gun ....30-06 or a 7mm .if you want pics send me your email addy in a pm .lockers and whole works ,,,...