R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Crawler Room (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room-151/)
-   -   Axial SCX 10 Build (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room/587511-axial-scx-10-build.html)

Bondo21d 01-14-2012 01:21 PM

Axial SCX 10 Build

So, picked up an SCX 10 kit about a week or so ago. Figured I would post the build on here with a few pics. As of right now the plan is to build a stock version of the kit with upgrades as needed for performance or when something breaks. Running gear will be bits and pieces I have laying around until I get a better idea of which way I want to go.

Here is the plan so far:
Axial Dingo kit
Spectrum receiver
Losi SCT speed control and Servo (Just temporary on the servo)
Reedy RTR brushed motor

Bondo21d 01-14-2012 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some of the basic hardware assembled on my desk.

transambill 01-15-2012 01:41 PM

Where in Northern KY are you? We have a scale get together comming up in March being put on by the Louisville crawler guys. Also a G6/TTC series starting up in IN if you feal like traveling a little bit north.

Bondo21d 01-16-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by transambill (Post 10174964)
Where in Northern KY are you? We have a scale get together comming up in March being put on by the Louisville crawler guys. Also a G6/TTC series starting up in IN if you feal like traveling a little bit north.

Thanks for the invite. I'm actually just west of Maysville, so Indiana is a bit of a haul. Mostly I am into racing off road (I do race most weekends in Cincinnati), but I wanted to build me something to play with around the house and my farm. They are also supposed to be building a crawler course where I race, so it will be fun for that I hope.

Bondo21d 01-17-2012 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, got the drive-train together. Up next will be the front end assembly and the construction of the chassis. May be a few days before I get back to it, depends on how long it takes me to figure out the ball diff in the TLR XXX-SCT tuning kit.

Body is also being painted, but due to a poor masking job it will only be basic black.

My only negative comments so far are that axial needs to put in a bit more QA time on their assembly instructions. Some of the parts are not in their noted bags, so it can take a bit of searching to find what you are looking for.

ndi_guy 01-21-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bondo21d (Post 10188266)
My only negative comments so far are that axial needs to put in a bit more QA time on their assembly instructions. Some of the parts are not in their noted bags, so it can take a bit of searching to find what you are looking for.

+1 on that. Thought it was a real PITA.

LGibbs91 01-22-2012 03:36 PM

Looking good!

Bondo21d 03-25-2012 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I meant to get back to this thread much earlier, but was down for a while with a bad round of kidney stones, so I didn't get anything done.

Here is finished chassis.

Bondo21d 03-25-2012 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basically a roller at this point.

Bondo21d 03-25-2012 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And finally the aftermath of playing in the muddy runoff ditch that goes down the side of my property.

I am still using the Losi SCT ESC and the brushed motor that comes with cheap AE RTR's. They do great with this truck. Gearing with a 16 tooth pinion and stock spur. It is not as fast as I would like to see, but it is plenty of torque. Afraid to gear to much higher as it gets very hot. I have had to replace the RTR Losi servo, so went with one from Hobbypartz.

Red Sand 03-26-2012 10:16 PM

Good job!

I built my SCX-10 a few weeks ago and was a little frustrated with the mistakes Axial made with their parts and instructions.

I used to do create assembly instructions for a living and if our department had given our customers quality like that, we'd have been fired.

I made a list of some of the boo-boo's I discovered when building my SCX-10 and posted them at rccrawler dot com.

Bondo21d 03-27-2012 07:35 AM

Yeah, the instructions leave alot to be desired.

two things I would change
- First, the kit comes with 30wt oil. too stiff to absorb bumps the way I would like with the current spring setup. I will probably will get around to changing that out in a few days. Working on my B4 right now mostly.

-Second, The front bumper assembly is junk. The cross piece that it mounts in is way too flexible, and I just cannot see how this will stand up. A front bumper assembly from RC4WD is definitely in my near future.

otherwise, this thing has been a blast.

mr lee 03-28-2012 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bondo21d (Post 10522349)
Yeah, the instructions leave alot to be desired.

two things I would change
- First, the kit comes with 30wt oil. too stiff to absorb bumps the way I would like with the current spring setup. I will probably will get around to changing that out in a few days. Working on my B4 right now mostly.

-Second, The front bumper assembly is junk. The cross piece that it mounts in is way too flexible, and I just cannot see how this will stand up. A front bumper assembly from RC4WD is definitely in my near future.

otherwise, this thing has been a blast.

What weight would you go with, 20?

Bondo21d 03-28-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mr lee (Post 10526632)
What weight would you go with, 20?

I am thinking, just from the way my race vehicles act, 20wt will be too light. I am thinking 25ish for it, but I won't get to it for a few days.

reacon 04-14-2012 02:58 PM

Where in N Ky are you located?