Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Looking to get into scale modeling/ crawling >

Looking to get into scale modeling/ crawling

Looking to get into scale modeling/ crawling

Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Looking to get into scale modeling/ crawling

Wow its been a while since i posted on here. Any who, I have been wanting to get back into doing some rc stuff and have been looking at getting one of the Tamiya High-Lift kits. I love scale models and building things so that is why i want to pick one up. But I had a few questions about doing it:

First and foremost, I have a KO Propo EX-10 Helios transmitter, can this be used to switch the gears and work with the kit?

Second, they offer a bearing kit for the model, should I purchase this to replace the bushings?

Third, should I be ok using my Novak Dually esc?

And lastly, I know this model is costly, so I have to ask, is there any other kits youd recommend to build that would give me a scale appearance for lesser money and not having to buy more radio/ esc equipment?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What are you going to do with it? Is it going to be an ultra scale shelf queen that looks really good but cant crawl very well or a nice scaler that looks good, performs pretty well on the trails and crawls good for a scaler?

FYI the Tamiya kits can be made to look super cool and super realistic but they dont perform very well. That huge tranny hanging down under them catches on everything.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

a nice scaler that looks good, performs pretty well on the trails and crawls good for a scaler
Thats what I ultimately want. Something that looks real and performs well on trails and can handle some rock crawling but nothing extreme (there isnt anything extreme around me to crawl on to begin with.)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Personally I would look at an Axial Honcho/ Wraith. More so the Honcho as they have more of the scale appearance but perform quite well on the trail as well. First upgrade I did - add the 2.2 tires. More ground clearance!!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phins Fan View Post
Personally I would look at an Axial Honcho/ Wraith. More so the Honcho as they have more of the scale appearance but perform quite well on the trail as well. First upgrade I did - add the 2.2 tires. More ground clearance!!

Agree completely, I have a Wraith but if I was going to build a true scaler I would start with the scx10 honcho or dingo.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree with the others, a Honcho or SCX10 based rig is what you want to build from. If you really like the look of the Hilift you can build up a SCX10 chassis and use a Tamiya body on it, people do it all the time. I built a Toyota a while back useing a Tamiya Hilux body on an SCX10 chassis.
Currently working on a late 70's early 80's Chevy pickup useing a Clod body with a SCX10 drivetrain.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info guys, i ended up going with a Honcho Kit, so im going to have fun building something. I didnt want a shelf queen, and i knew with the highlift id have one. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

You just can't go wrong with an Axial SCX10 kit. They can be as scale as you want them to be....and can be as capable as you want them to be. There's a reason they are #1, and a reason I own so many of them.....

nearly every truck in this video is Axial SCX10 based
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.