Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Axial XR10 on a budget OR else :D >

Axial XR10 on a budget OR else :D

Axial XR10 on a budget OR else :D

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Axial XR10 on a budget OR else :D

Hi Guys,
Totally new to the crawler side of RC... I run nitro truggies/buggies/MT.

And I also have kids, and can't get to the track as often as I would like. Tried crawler with a friend of mine and thought "this would be amazing when I can't get to the racing track".

I felt in love with the XR10 and reviews were so great for a kit that I am strongly considering getting one.
As anyone got suggestions for the missing parts (esc/engines/servos etc...) that I could get to have a decent rig. I will upgrade parts by parts later but a good "here is a decent complete kit" list of suggestions would be amazing.
I would like a single dig, and unsure if my Dx3S or my 2.4 traxxas (with reverse switch) would do the job.

I could also go the RTR route or other brands (I run Losi at the track), I am just pretty picky about my cars and would like a great crawler I could use now, and upgrade as I am learning.

Thanks!

Last edited by Orph3o; 05-16-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Oh, overall budget for "above" kit would be in the 300 range without Rx/Tx
Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For a question like this, I have to be honest... you're gonna find all the info. you need at RCCrawler.com They have sections broke down by truck...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

True RC Crawlers does have an overwhelming amount of information and opinions.

But for starters, the mindset that I can buy cheap now and upgrade later does cost much more in the long run then doing something proper in the first place.

That being said, an MOA without proportional control of each axle is like buying a sports car but dropping in a one liter engine. It will move but are you getting satisfaction?

Cheap motors do not last long and have poor drag brakes (an MOA needs motors with good drag brakes for hill holding) whereas a shafty with dig doesn't rely on the motor to hold a dig. Another issue is your radio, it doesn't have a 3 position aux switch for dig so you are limited there too.

Best thing to do is to go to a crawling comp and speak to the people there, you may even find a good deal on a used one.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have an XR10 and love it. I have two Integy V10 55 turns motors. You can get them pretty cheap and they work great.

I would suggest spending the money now to get quality parts. If you buy cheap stuff now you will end up upgrading it later. This will cost more money in the long run.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

TCS has the Noval M2 dig ESC with twin 55t motors for $148.99, I run savox 1256's in both my crawlers. they are $80. but you can't get anything close to the torque they have for less the $130. tires are always a personal choice but HB rovers in a white compound are really good and be had for short money (usually on sale), Losi boss claws are nice too but more $. TCScrawlers.com, RC4WD.com and RPPhobby.com are 3 of the best crawler suppliers. One thing you'll notice with a little research crawlers sell incredibly well in the secondary market so if you lose interest you will do better selling the stuff than any racing vehicles.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have to agree with Phisher, spend the money up front now and you'll save alot of money later. I converted a AX-10 into a honcho and in doing so spent more than I would have on the conversion than I would have to just buy the TR in the first place and I still didnt have everything that came stock on the TR. Seems the XR-10 is one of the favorites out there, so there too, I have to agree that you would be able to sell it quickly if you have the good gear to go with it. Its just like a 1:1...spend a little more now on a good car or else you'll be repairing/upgrading and spending more in a week. JMO though.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The XR10 is a great truck and I love mine but cheap is not a word I would associate with building one. Can you get it together and running with cheap parts? Yes but its not going to last very long.

If I was going to build an XR10 again, I wouldn't buy a whole kit. I would buy the axle housings, front universal shafts, rear axle shafts and a few other stock parts. Everything else you need for the build would be aftermarket.

Do some reading in the XR10 section on RCC. Look thru the build threads and look at all the upgrades people are doing.

For a budget friendly crawler, especially if you aren't interested in doing comps, look for a used AX10. I've seen them change hands for as low as $50. Can run stock then upgrade as you grow as a driver.