Wiki Posts
Search

set up with dx3r?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default set up with dx3r?

I have just got my first crawler xr10 and I would like to use my spek dx3r what are my options for set up. do I have to use 1 ecs with a dig or do I use 2 ecs or do I get a futaba please help I dont have a clue.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you want to keep that radio, run 1 esc and a punk dig or get the novak M2 esc/dig. Either option is working good though some guys dont like the novak, others do. If you want to run dual esc's, sell your dx3r and pick up the futaba 4pl. That's the direction I went because it has programming specifically for dual esc's. You may have to get the software updated for that programming. If you pick up a 4pl, check out Harley's thread over on RCC in the electronics forum "4PL tips, tricks, and set up". He even put up videos on youtube to walk you through the programming.

Two esc's give you more control in your driving, but the esc/dig combo is proven to work also. It all depends on what your doing, competing or playing. I hope some of this info helps.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is another option if want to run dual ESCs with your DX3R.

You can purchase a dual ESC adapter that allows you to mix channels with your DX3r.
You can read about it here. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289964

They are for sale here http://wantasummit.com/DualESC.aspx

This is simpler than switching radios and it works great!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

how much better is running two esc's than one what do you get verses one are there any threads that will explane dig, drag brake.and so on this is my first I would like to set it up the right way the first time?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With dual esc's and a 4-channel radio, you have mixing ability and can turn each motor up or down. Although from what I've been told, the 4PL only has the mixing to turn down the rear motor only.

I currently run a 3R with punk dig and an fxr on my XR10. Works fine but I'm planning on switching over to a 4pk and another fxr and selling the punk. I find myself in situations where turning a motor up or down would help.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default 3r

3r is a good radio ,But when you need to turn your rear motor down its almost like cheating ,On very steep climbs it just flat out heps ,you can also fin a good used 3 pk and acheive the same thing .i run 2 fxr's and love them .it works very well.

Last edited by Bjeepn; 02-25-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typed wrong stuff
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The 4pl is definitely the way to go on crawlers now...Futaba makes some nice products.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I went from the 3R to the Futaba 4PKS........no looking back.