R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Crawler Room (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room-151/)
-   -   looking for a crawler (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room/387758-looking-crawler.html)

253SMITTY 04-09-2010 04:32 AM

looking for a crawler

Alright guys I am looking for a rockcrawler. What is the best bet for under 400bucks. I have been looking at the honcho. Do I get a kit or rtr? Is it worth it or what?? Help me out. If you know somthing better let me know. I want to do up grades to so what has the best options???:confused:

Justinraz 04-09-2010 12:19 PM

What size are u lookin for i was just gona put up my super class and was lookin to sell within that price range Ready to run battery charger remote every thing. the crawler is less than a month old paid 300 for chassie but if you dont want a super class a honcho or the losi comp crawler are great

CaptCrunch 04-09-2010 12:39 PM

Smitty, the first question is what do you want to do? Do you just want to bash? Or are you looking toward competing? If you are interested in competing, have you checked out what comp classes are run in your area? Are you wanting a scale look or a crawler with more articulation than scale looks? You need to have somewhat of an idea of these things before folks can recommend anything.

253SMITTY 04-10-2010 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Justinraz (Post 7251721)
What size are u lookin for i was just gona put up my super class and was lookin to sell within that price range Ready to run battery charger remote every thing. the crawler is less than a month old paid 300 for chassie but if you dont want a super class a honcho or the losi comp crawler are great

I am lookin tor a tenth scale. I have been lookin hard at the honcho. I am just a newbe at crawling so I still tryn to figure out all the vehicles.

253SMITTY 04-10-2010 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch (Post 7251790)
Smitty, the first question is what do you want to do? Do you just want to bash? Or are you looking toward competing? If you are interested in competing, have you checked out what comp classes are run in your area? Are you wanting a scale look or a crawler with more articulation than scale looks? You need to have somewhat of an idea of these things before folks can recommend anything.

Well Capt what I want to do is get some crawlin under my belt then start moving towards competing. I do have some what of an Idea. I have been lookin at the honcho, the hpi crawler king and the axial ax10. But I like scale also that is my dilema. I haven't looked what comp classes are around Washington state. But even if there were none I would still like somthing to drive around here.

CaptCrunch 04-10-2010 08:08 AM

If you want a scale look then a Honcho is a good choice. It's just one version of the Axial SCX10 models. It's got pretty good wheel speed for driving as well as crawling, and there are alot of aftermarket parts that will work on it. It's great for a RTR scaler, but don't expect it to crawl as well as an AX10 though.

That's why my original question. You really need to decide what is more important, crawling ability or a scale look. Scallers can crawl pretty well, but in general they don't have the articulation of a model that was purpose-built specifically to crawl.

That said, even experienced crawlers have alot of fun with the SCX10 models. You won't be able to crawl the same course that a comp rig can, but it does look alot more realistic on the rocks.

253SMITTY 04-10-2010 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch (Post 7254564)
If you want a scale look then a Honcho is a good choice. It's just one version of the Axial SCX10 models. It's got pretty good wheel speed for driving as well as crawling, and there are alot of aftermarket parts that will work on it. It's great for a RTR scaler, but don't expect it to crawl as well as an AX10 though.

That's why my original question. You really need to decide what is more important, crawling ability or a scale look. Scallers can crawl pretty well, but in general they don't have the articulation of a model that was purpose-built specifically to crawl.

That said, even experienced crawlers have alot of fun with the SCX10 models. You won't be able to crawl the same course that a comp rig can, but it does look alot more realistic on the rocks.

Well capt. I went today to a local hobby shop and got my truck. I thought I knew what I wanted so I bought the ax10 and a goat set up. Well after buying it and standing there bsing with the guy behind the counter about it. In walks a customer with a scale. He starts showing pics of his trips to different spots. So I start askin questions. Well to make a long story short I returned the ax10 and goat set. and got the scx10 hancho kit with a cc esc and a 45t integy motor. I am deffinitly happier with my scale. now I understand what you ment by really knowing what you want. Thanks for your help.

CaptCrunch 04-10-2010 06:48 PM

Sounds great Smitty. I'm glad that you found what you were looking for. You might want to check out RCCrawler.com It's probably the single biggest crawler specific site on the internet. You will find ALOT of folks there who have Honchos and other SCX10's. There is a BIG scale following on that site with lots and lots of build pics.

253SMITTY 04-10-2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch (Post 7255940)
Sounds great Smitty. I'm glad that you found what you were looking for. You might want to check out RCCrawler.com It's probably the single biggest crawler specific site on the internet. You will find ALOT of folks there who have Honchos and other SCX10's. There is a BIG scale following on that site with lots and lots of build pics.

cool capt I will check it out.