Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Exceed 1/16 Max Stone? > Exceed 1/16 Max Stone?

Exceed 1/16 Max Stone?

Reply

Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
TheCrunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 294
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Exceed 1/16 Max Stone?

Does anyone have any opinions on this crawler? I have been looking at 1/16th scale crawlers because I don't have a ton of room here to crawl and this would be my first crawler. I was mainly looking at the Losi Mini Crawler (too much money) and the Duratrax Cliff Climber (can't find any used for sale). Money is tight now and I just can't justify spending $150 or more needed for the Losi.

I have read lots of conjecture about it, but does anyone actually have one or know someone who has. I don't need a super high performance comp crawler, just something to hack around my yard and have some fun with. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
TheCrunge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 164
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TheCrunge View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on this crawler? I have been looking at 1/16th scale crawlers because I don't have a ton of room here to crawl and this would be my first crawler. I was mainly looking at the Losi Mini Crawler (too much money) and the Duratrax Cliff Climber (can't find any used for sale). Money is tight now and I just can't justify spending $150 or more needed for the Losi.

I have read lots of conjecture about it, but does anyone actually have one or know someone who has. I don't need a super high performance comp crawler, just something to hack around my yard and have some fun with. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Well Exceed does not have the best track record on their 1/10 scale stuff. It tends to break easily. Their 1/8 scale stuff seems to be alot tougher and of more quality. I haven't heard anything about this particular crawler but at a price like that I would be VERY tempted to give it a go. The most important thing that you need to find out is if you can find parts support anywhere for it. Because a kit that you cannot find parts for is about usless IMO.
0124vctd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,610
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I have tried to find a review on this crawler without any luck because I'm interested in them too even though I already have a Losi MRC. Exceed quality is surely spotty and I'm sure this crawler will be no better. It is a cool looking crawler and it's pretty cheap, though.

You won't beat the Losi MRC in terms of performance. If you really want performance wait until you can afford one. It doesn't seem like that's that important to you.

You can also get a brand new Duratrax Cliff Climber ARR (you'll need a radio, servos, battery, and ESC) for $90 (about the same price as the RTR Exceed crawler). Of if you wanted to go smaller you can get a Losi Micro Crawler, but that will still run you at least $110 depending on which version you get.
JatoTheRipper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
  #4  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lakeland
Posts: 3
Default

I received my 1/16 Max Stone last Friday. I was actually surprised at the quality. It is by no means equal to a Losi or Axial. The radio is a 2.4ghz and not bad for what you get. It does the job. First off it has a lot of torque roll. I spent about an hour tweeking the shocks and it helped a lot. The tires are glued to the wheels, so not likely to be able to add wheel weights. A better quality tire would be very helpful. It crawled a lot better than expected. I have found that parts are available. A complete listing of parts with part numbers comes with it. I also think from comparison that Losi parts may very well fit it. I have no regrets spending the $88.00.
Ledfoot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,610
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
I received my 1/16 Max Stone last Friday. I was actually surprised at the quality. It is by no means equal to a Losi or Axial. The radio is a 2.4ghz and not bad for what you get. It does the job. First off it has a lot of torque roll. I spent about an hour tweeking the shocks and it helped a lot. The tires are glued to the wheels, so not likely to be able to add wheel weights. A better quality tire would be very helpful. It crawled a lot better than expected. I have found that parts are available. A complete listing of parts with part numbers comes with it. I also think from comparison that Losi parts may very well fit it. I have no regrets spending the $88.00.
I saw that they were $88 and thought that was insanely cheap even knowing that the quality would surely be below that of the Losi MRC. It's a steal!

When you say you were surprised at the quality do you mean it's better than you thought it would be?

The Losi MRC tires are glued and people have added weight inside of them. They boil the rims/tires in water. I'm not sure how long to do that for, but the directions are online if you search. People have also added weight to the inside of the rim so they didn't have to worry about getting the tires off of the rims. Putting weights on the axles is another very popular option.

How do the wheels mount on this crawler? Are they hexes like the Losi MRC?
JatoTheRipper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM
  #6  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lakeland
Posts: 3
Default

The quality is better than I thought it would be. I have removed the tires and added weight inside. The glue job from the factory is not all that good. The wheels are on 12mm hex's. I installed a set of Losi shocks yesterday. A direct fit. I know from measuring some other Losi parts will fit also. It's holding up quite well after a weeks bashing. I still have no regrets buying one.
Ledfoot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (52)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Las Vgeas, Nv
Posts: 231
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

well... if it's anything like the 1/10 version it will need some serious Suspension work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRgePh4t7Y
shultz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
  #8  
Tech Rookie
 
itsahobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 3
Default

hey guys, i just joined this forum when i was searching for maxstone discussions. i have the 1/10th scale maxstone and my brother has the 1/16th scale. they are ok crawlers for what you're spending. i got mine to screw around with in the backyard and out at the river near my house. i have an 88 bronco to do hardcore stuff in.

the day after i got mine, i broke the rear driveshaft. i made a new one out of metal. it has horrible torque flex also, i need to screw around with the shocks and fix it. the servo is also a POS, after a week some of the gears were gone.

the 1/16th scale seems to be ok. my brother hasnt broken anything on his that i know of. it's just really small, which has some advantages (a shorter wheelbase) but it has some disadvantages too.

i paid $167, including tax, at a local hobby shop for mine, i just spend $60 for a better servo and metal driveshafts, so now i'm in it $227. my advice would be to go get an axial, they can be had for ~$230 plus shipping, and you wont have to replace anything. parts are way easier to come by as well.
itsahobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 AM
  #9  
Tech Initiate
 
cici's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: clarkston washington
Posts: 22
Default max stone

so whats a good way to fix the roll they have i just picked mine up used aferter tradeing for 5 24 packs of dew for it lol and could use a few tips
cici is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
  #10  
Tech Rookie
 
itsahobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 3
Default

^
5 cases of dew?!?!?!? WTF? i got shafted!! lol.....

too fix the roll, i've read that you can put heavier weight oil in the shocks or put a stiffer spring in the left rear shock. if you look at the left rear shock right now, it is probably black and the rest are chrome/silver - i think it is a stiffer one, just not stiff enough.

i'm goin to the hobby store later today to get some heavier weight oil, we'll see if that helps.


i got my new steel drive shafts from CRKC Crawlers and they are the shit, there is no way i can see myself breaking them. the servo i got is MUCH stronger as well, it has metal gears and only cost $18. i'd def recommend them for these somewhat cheap-ass cars
itsahobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 PM
  #11  
Tech Initiate
 
cici's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: clarkston washington
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by itsahobby View Post
^
5 cases of dew?!?!?!? WTF? i got shafted!! lol.....

too fix the roll, i've read that you can put heavier weight oil in the shocks or put a stiffer spring in the left rear shock. if you look at the left rear shock right now, it is probably black and the rest are chrome/silver - i think it is a stiffer one, just not stiff enough.

i'm goin to the hobby store later today to get some heavier weight oil, we'll see if that helps.


i got my new steel drive shafts from CRKC Crawlers and they are the shit, there is no way i can see myself breaking them. the servo i got is MUCH stronger as well, it has metal gears and only cost $18. i'd def recommend them for these somewhat cheap-ass cars



ya iv been doing some up grades to mine i added a hitech ultra servo and new traxxas drive shafts for now working on a new body and other adds
cici is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 AM
  #12  
Tech Regular
 
K-Note72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 251
Default

Originally Posted by 0124vctd View Post
Well Exceed does not have the best track record on their 1/10 scale stuff. It tends to break easily. Their 1/8 scale stuff seems to be alot tougher and of more quality. I haven't heard anything about this particular crawler but at a price like that I would be VERY tempted to give it a go. The most important thing that you need to find out is if you can find parts support anywhere for it. Because a kit that you cannot find parts for is about usless IMO.
I do hear alot of people use the line "Exceed has no parts support", but right on nitrorcx on the kit's page there's a link to the spare parts page: http://www.nitrorcx.com/1maxstrocr1.html and though exceed does have a record of parts breaking i doubt it'll be much of a worry on a kit as slow as a crawler (unless if it falls off a steep ledge of course)
K-Note72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 AM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
transambill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Kinda off topic but someone said to boil the wheels to get the glued on tires off. I cant stress this enough, DO NOT BOIL YOUR WHEELS AND TIRES.
Boiling will turn the chrome on the wheels milky white and the foams in the tires desintegrate quite rapidly after getting wet and boiling doesnt always work and when it does it takes hours.

The better way to do it and the way that when done both the wheels and tires can be used over again is to bake them in the oven.
Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees, wrap each wheel and tire in aluminum foil.
Once the oven is preheated turn it off and set your wheels/tires inside. Close the oven and wait for it to finish cooling down. Use some oven mitts once the oven has cooled down to remove your wheels. Pull off the foil and your tires will pop rite off the wheels. The oven heat softens up the glue holding your tires on without discoloring the wheels and ruining your foams.
It also only takes about 30 minutes where boiling takes an hour sometimes longer, check wheels and repeat till you can get them all to come off and hope the tire beads and wheels survived. Then you've got to wait for your foams to dry out before reassembly.

Trust me, bakeing is the only way you should remove tires.

Sorry cant help with the original question, I run only Axial. There parts are pretty durable and can be found on the shelf at most hobby shops.
Myself I dont like waiting weeks with my rig down when something breaks for parts to be shipped to me from over seas.
transambill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
  #14  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
jayhawknavy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I had one. Long story summed up in one word.

TRASH
jayhawknavy02 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service