Axial shaft breakage !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Axial shaft breakage !!

Hello,

New to the crawling scene...

Bought my 9 yr old son an Axial RTR w/ Dingo body.
Within the 1st battery run out of the box, the rear drive shaft broke at the ear's at the tranny end - pretty lame !!! Yet the yoke is metal - go figure ?!!!
Upon research, I discovered that this is a common issue with plastic shaft's...
I have found 4 manufacturer's with all metal drive shaft's - Integy, MIP, 3Racing and JunFac - are there any other's ?

The MIP & JunFac have a bell shape at the U-joint's - I would think that this is a better design protection wise - is it ?

Also, some of the manufacturer's ( JunFac ) shaft set's have one longer than the other, why would this be ?

As soon as I get a resolution to this, I plan on buying the Axail Trail Honcho and 2 full set's of metal shaft's to nip this issue in the bud !

Thanks in advance for those who respond with technical help.

Douglas
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, the stock driveshafts arn't much chop. I've twisted and broke a couple myself.
After that, I switched to the 3racing driveshafts and haven't had a problem since. Just remember to locktight the grub screws and pins. Intergy and JunFac are also suposed to be pretty good to.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They are different lengths to accomodate a rear dig unit as it's a disconnecting drive shaft and it needs somewhere to move to. The rear will be the short one. And yes, it will fit being that length even if you don't have a dig unit.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Axial shaft breakage !

It sound's like I can run any brand ( metal ) with or without varying length's and be good to go.
Got to get the Honcho on order now...
Thanks guy's !
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

hey new2crawl

the drive shafts are weaker then a tooth pick the fact you made it a battery shocks me...

i got a 2nd or 53rd hand axial ax10 awile back and it had the stock axles in the box it came in and a set of traxxas plastic ones installed never broke sliped or anything when i used them and i cracked a rim in half do to over torquing the crap out of the truck ( i was rim deep in something cant remember)

but i now have a scale crawler and i to have cut chopped and glued traxxas axles on it aswell no problems yet and i push/pull my 9 month old around in a landry basket lol hes 25 pounds dead weight to lol!

heres a few things you can look at doing for your axle problem..

traxxas pro pack part number 1953
has 6 inner and 6 outer splined plastic axles and i got them for 6-7 bucks new form the hobby shop

or what i did to my ax10 to make it look super super sweet fit nice and look a million times better then the black plastic ones..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Axial-AX10-Scorp...item4a9e86c44c

or the axials way to fix this half way problem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Axial-AX10-GREEN...item2eab345c2a