• 1 Post By roadrashracing2
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS
  • 1 Post By TheRo0sTer

Newb looking to get his feet wet

Old 02-21-2024, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newb looking to get his feet wet

Good morning crawlers! I have been to Hobbyplex in Omaha for 1:8 racing and have eyeballed their crawler course to the point that I want to jump in and have some fun. The only thing is, I have ZERO clue where to start. There are a lot of Axials on the market and it makes me wonder if the market is flooded or if they are junk? I don't think they are junk really, but want input. I have all the gear I need to run one, except the crawler. I'm currently looking at the following:
Axial Wraith
Axial Bomber
Axial Honcho
or maybe 1:18 is an option?

What other companies are out there that have a lot of support parts? I will check with my LHS for his parts selection, but I'm also good with internet support.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheRo0sTer
Good morning crawlers! I have been to Hobbyplex in Omaha for 1:8 racing and have eyeballed their crawler course to the point that I want to jump in and have some fun. The only thing is, I have ZERO clue where to start. There are a lot of Axials on the market and it makes me wonder if the market is flooded or if they are junk? I don't think they are junk really, but want input. I have all the gear I need to run one, except the crawler. I'm currently looking at the following:
Axial Wraith
Axial Bomber
Axial Honcho
or maybe 1:18 is an option?

What other companies are out there that have a lot of support parts? I will check with my LHS for his parts selection, but I'm also good with internet support.
All those axials are long discontinued. Go with a traxxas trx4, the sport is a good choice and doesn't have all the bells and whistles unless you like that stuff.
fattire likes this.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Those look cool, but I like the look of a tube chassis crawler.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If that’s what you like look at the Axial Capra (1/10 or 1/18 scale) or Element Gatekeeper (not a tube chassis, but tube style body). All are very capable and lots of parts support. I do own all 3 mentioned.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:21 PM
Tech Champion

I should warn you, anything with a tube style body is a maintenance and repair nightmare, with the exception of the Gatekeeper.

Axials are still ok as the aftermarket for them is massive, you can probably build an entire car out of hopups alone. If you have any mechanical sympathy, you shouldn't break too many things either.

In the interests of supporting your LHS, why not see what they have going cheap?
themountain likes this.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Well I bought two Bombers to tinker with and we had fun crawling them. I quickly learned they are rock racers leaning away from crawling. They did what I wanted for the most part, but I like the scale looks of the TRX4 too. So, I bought two of those as well. LoL I appreciate the input!
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.