• 1 Post By sosidge
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Brushless motors?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Brushless motors?

Hello,
I see that most esc's are water proof. But are brushless motors water proof?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Some are, and some are not. Most will say in the description if they’re waterproof.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would go on a limb as say that most ESCs are not waterproof. Most of the ESCs included in bashers / ready to runs maybe, but if you look at all of the current ESC available .. no way.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well this is the Crawler section of the forum. So I would assume I'm not talking about bashers. I've seen alot of videos with guys running their crawlers thru steams and basically under waiter. So how they getting away with it.

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I would go on a limb as say that most ESCs are not waterproof. Most of the ESCs included in bashers / ready to runs maybe, but if you look at all of the current ESC available .. no way.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:57 PM
Tech Champion

^They run a simple waterproof brushed esc and a brushed motor.

Brushless motors are waterproof, as long as they are sensorless. It's the sensor board that gets mad when there's water.
stigno, FREEDOM83 and chuck732 like this.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Brushed motors are not water proof The current flowing thru brushes into the armature world stop when in water. And brushless motors have no open current flow to be affected by water. But wouldn't the exposed 3 wires connect to the motor be shorted out when under water?

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
^They run a simple waterproof brushed esc and a brushed motor.

Brushless motors are waterproof, as long as they are sensorless. It's the sensor board that gets mad when there's water.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chuck732
Brushed motors are not water proof The current flowing thru brushes into the armature world stop when in water. And brushless motors have no open current flow to be affected by water. But wouldn't the exposed 3 wires connect to the motor be shorted out when under water?
Brushed motors will run in water. Try it. There are springs pushing the brushes onto the comm.

Your wires shouldn't be exposed and you would need a lot of salts and heavy metals to make the water conduct between the three power wires.

Hobbywing's crawler-specific brushless systems are waterproof. Couldn't speak for other brands.
chuck732 likes this.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

I was always curious how people who submarine their rigs don’t ruin their batteries. As cool as running partially or fully submerged in streams looks, all of the additional maintenance after the run always kept me from doing it. No amount of grease or waterproofing electronics is going to allow you to run in water and then park your rig on the shelf until next run.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chuck732
Nope. I guarantee you a brushed motor will work underwater. A brushless motor definitely will work underwater as the magnetic force from the coils will travel though the water to spin the rotor.

Originally Posted by sosidge
Brushed motors will run in water. Try it. There are springs pushing the brushes onto the comm.

Your wires shouldn't be exposed and you would need a lot of salts and heavy metals to make the water conduct between the three power wires.

Hobbywing's crawler-specific brushless systems are waterproof. Couldn't speak for other brands.
^What he said.

Originally Posted by King DORK
I was always curious how people who submarine their rigs donít ruin their batteries. As cool as running partially or fully submerged in streams looks, all of the additional maintenance after the run always kept me from doing it. No amount of grease or waterproofing electronics is going to allow you to run in water and then park your rig on the shelf until next run.
A battery by design is waterproof. I run them in streams/wet conditions all the time. Just unplug it when finished, rotate it about to drain any water that might be trapped inside, and wipe down with a wet cloth/wipe.

Take your car to the hose point/shower, and bathe your car, scrubbing as necessary with an old toothbrush. Massage the tyre treads so they flex heavily and you can wash out the mud that is trapped in the treads. Do the tyres first, then the top of your shell, under carriage, then the middle and the corners of your axles/knuckles, getting at the UJs/CVD. At this point if you have an air compressor, blow dry. Or hang dry for a few hours, but no more than say 24hrs. Spray down the entire undercarriage with WD-40 or similar, to stop rust, especially at the knuckles or any exposed steel bits. Do the top side/sides as necessary, lightly. Hang dry to let excess oil drip off. Store/display as usual.

My Gatekeeper, Tekno and RR!0 all get this treatment. The Gatekeeper especially so and that gets driven recklessly everywhere. Still alive, haven't worn out a damn thing.
chuck732 likes this.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Years ago we ran a box stock Slash class, and most of us broke in new stock Titan motors by running them submerged in water, so yes, brushed motors are fine under water. Of course you had to blow it dry, lube the bushings, etc. I used a container of WD40 to break mine in, then stood up to drain followed by compressed air to get the remaining WD40 out. Worked great. Thanks for the clarification with batteries. Still far more maintenance for me, but I truly enjoy watching others do it.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I learn something I never knew. I use run very first electric cars and trucks. I still have them laid up some where. I remember a car made by a company MRP. pan car. Chassis was plastic. It always had a bo in it.

Thank you
Old 11-18-2022, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

chuck732, racing back in the early days was something that not many of us got to experience, but those of us who experienced it remember a lot of our very best memories from that time. Not saying it’s not fun now of course.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My next project, to waterproof my electronics
Old 12-20-2022, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Usually when electronic equipment is classified as waterproof, it is because the electronic components/boards are sealed by a conformal coating, which can be bought. You can easily brush on a conformal coating over exposed components and conductors.