Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler? >

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Like Tree16Likes

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Old 02-23-2021, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Is there a "go to" crawler for 1st crawler?

I'm not new to RC (mostly track/buggy stuffs), but have only played with a few crawlers. Want to try it.

Buy once cry once is fine. Not looking for the best, but best value I can grow into.

I have a spare Hobbywing Justock ESC (will that work?) and a few spare radios I can use.

I will need a crawler specific motor?

Or is there an RTR that is the way to go?

completely open to any and all advice

Old 02-24-2021, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Traxxas Sport RTR or kit. I’d say the RTR is the way to go for a first crawler. It’s super capable out of the box. Leave it stock. Replace any electronics if they fail or when you’re ready for upgrades. Keep it simple. Don’t feel the need to upgrade half of the truck or add a butt load of aluminum or brass. It does not need it. I have 12. Crawlers. 2 are RTR Sports, and I’ve only replaced the electronics with other inexpensive items and they flat out perform. Looking forward to hearing what direction you go and welcome to the crawler craze.
8T likes this.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Also, plan to run 3s. A 1500mah 3s should give you at least an hour of hard running and they’re cheap. 2s will work but 3s is the way to go.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

I have a dozen 2S stick packs 5000mah or around there. will they work/fit?

is there an advantage to 3S in terms of torque/power? or will 2S suffice?

are mini crawlers more fun or 1/10?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Whether or not a battery will fit depends on the crawler itself. I had fit a 5200 3s hard case in my TRX4 so I would assume most 2s lipos would fit, especially since the TRX4 has one of the larger battery trays. My Capra or Gatekeeper on the other hand will only fit shorty packs. The advantage to a 3s is more power (1.5 times the voltage of a 2s), and with higher voltage the electronics also work more efficiently. All that being said running a 2s will work as long as it’ll fit the battery tray. I did run some 2s lipos in my Sport when I first got it since I also had a lot of them laying around from racing and the truck did perform admirably. It’s just faster and has more power on 3s, so no harm in running them if that’s what you have.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

As far as mini (1/18, 1/24 scale) compared to 1/10 scale. I got rid of my smaller crawlers. They just felt too toyish and are not nearly as durable as a bigger rig. That’s just my opinion. Many people love the smaller scale stuff, it’s just not my cup of tea. I like the adjustability, capability, durability, and performance of the bigger trucks.
purplegrape likes this.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King DORK View Post
As far as mini (1/18, 1/24 scale) compared to 1/10 scale. I got rid of my smaller crawlers. They just felt too toyish and are not nearly as durable as a bigger rig. Thatís just my opinion. Many people love the smaller scale stuff, itís just not my cup of tea. I like the adjustability, capability, durability, and performance of the bigger trucks.
Good advice from King Dork. I started with the Deadbolt and it was very good. I think I would stay with brushed motor and esc for now. The HW 1080 esc is very good and I am somewhat partial to Holmes Hobbies motors.
purplegrape likes this.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I just picked up a TRX-4 sport and I couldnít be happier!
8T likes this.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:44 AM
Tech Rookie

A cheap upgrade you might want to consider now is the front battery plate/tray. If you put that in, you can get a cheaper, smaller battery and improve performance by shifting weight to the front.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

honestly...if you are not "new" to rc I wouldnt bother buying a RTR or kit car.....just buy a Gspeed chassis and go from there 3s is standard , servo should be at least 30kg, budget choice is HW1080 with a 550 HH 5 slot ...if you want fancy go with a brushless fusion or ace system, axle wise I would get the AR45s.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No votes for SCX10?
Old 08-15-2021, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by themountain View Post
honestly...if you are not "new" to rc I wouldnt bother buying a RTR or kit car.....just buy a Gspeed chassis and go from there 3s is standard , servo should be at least 30kg, budget choice is HW1080 with a 550 HH 5 slot ...if you want fancy go with a brushless fusion or ace system, axle wise I would get the AR45s.
Building from scratch is a bit too much of a step for your first truck, even if you are experienced with RC. I've been racing for decades and only got into crawling this year, I still haven't seen any reason to scratchbuild.

It's certainly interesting to see what the dedicated crawlers think is important vs. my race experience. Sticking pen springs into a shock for a "droop" setup which just limits the suspension travel massively and has no actual droop?

I don't get the obsession with super-torque-super-price servos and expensive Holmes Hobbies motors. I'm using a basic 18kg PowerHD servo and 5-slot Surpass brushed motor on 2s. I also have a Hobbywing Fusion system running on 2s. Zero issues with steering or with power.

My Element and Gmade trucks were both built from kits and still have all the standard parts, haven't broken a thing after hours of running and many barrel rolls down hills. I have no idea how people are breaking these trucks so easily (if you believe what you read on the Facebook groups).

I though the point was to crawl over obstacles rather than crash into them?

As far as RTR vs kit, you can put better electrics in the kit from day one and sometimes they have better parts in the box. Just bear in mind that bodies and wheels/tyres for these trucks are expensive, so if you buy a kit without a body or tyres you need to factor that in. The RTRs are always better value to get you going and they tend to have a good selection of scale body accessories (most notably the bumpers) that the Pro-line bodies usually lack.

I really like both the Element and Gmade trucks I have and would recommend them. Ability to get spare parts is important, the Element is slightly more widely supported. TRX4s and SCX10s have the biggest aftermarket support. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the current trucks from the big-name manufacturers.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by statik View Post
No votes for SCX10?
4sure if you get the builders kit !

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Building from scratch is a bit too much of a step for your first truck, even if you are experienced with RC. I've been racing for decades and only got into crawling this year, I still haven't seen any reason to scratchbuild.
What kind of argument is that ...??
Old 08-16-2021, 12:39 PM
TxT
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by purplegrape View Post
Is there a "go to" crawler for 1st crawler?

I'm not new to RC (mostly track/buggy stuffs), but have only played with a few crawlers. Want to try it.

Buy once cry once is fine. Not looking for the best, but best value I can grow into.

I have a spare Hobbywing Justock ESC (will that work?) and a few spare radios I can use.

I will need a crawler specific motor?

Or is there an RTR that is the way to go?

completely open to any and all advice
Hi, i was in the same position as yours during many months. I finally decided for the new platform of Cross RC, the emo AT4. I took the kit version for 300 dollars, an HW 1080, two servo for locking diff / gearing, a cheap servo and a flysky gt5. This kit is very qualitative (first product i buy from cross rc) and for less than 500 dollars i have a platform that performs very well: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyufoicZ_mj315kkmiIfB4X_fW-5T_v6s
Cheers,

Last edited by TxT; 08-22-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

trx4 was my choice, axial was a strong second. Add some weight up front, and get a tough servo.
DRTMI likes this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.