Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler? >

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Like Tree16Likes

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Old 09-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
Judging by his other posts I'm leaning towards he has no idea what he is talking about or he is just being a troll.
Probably both.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Probably both.
Bro, I’m putting a 1000cc snowmobile engine into a radio controlled Lego set.
do you know what kind of $600 CRAWLER ESC I should use?

Please don’t recommend me anything below $600, I’m not new to RC and went to college for Nitro Tuning.

Btw, the snowmobile with the donor engine is a 1/3 scale RTR (got it from Canada)
mrreet2001 and TxT like this.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by statik View Post
Bro, I’m putting a 1000cc snowmobile engine into a radio controlled Lego set.
do you know what kind of $600 CRAWLER ESC I should use?
Please don’t recommend me anything below $600, I’m not new to RC and went to college for Nitro Tuning.
Btw, the snowmobile with the donor engine is a 1/3 scale RTR (got it from Canada)
...And I fart rainbows

mrreet2001 and TxT like this.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Just my personal opinion, but if you’re out on a nature trail of some kind, the “Brap brap!” Sound of a motor would kind of defeat the purpose of being out in nature, no?

And then there’s the question of runtime - are you going to be walking/hiking around with a bottle of fuel, refilling it every 10 minutes? From what I’ve seen, a decent setup with a good pack should be good for an hour or more easily.

Finally, Nitro engines are dependent on a clutch, which would be difficult to manage for any kind of climbing, so your rig would limited to “trail truck”.

Spoken by someone who doesn’t crawl, but is curious about this segment of the hobby. To me, it seems like electric is much better suited for the class.
themountain likes this.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Just my personal opinion, but if you’re out on a nature trail of some kind, the “Brap brap!” Sound of a motor would kind of defeat the purpose of being out in nature, no?
I couldn't agree more. We have a hard enough time (In my area at least) getting "Radio Controlled Models" allowed in the County parks. Noisy things like Nitro engines and Planes / Drones aren't going to help that. I love a nice quiet trail run in the woods.
And then there’s the question of runtime - are you going to be walking/hiking around with a bottle of fuel, refilling it every 10 minutes? From what I’ve seen, a decent setup with a good pack should be good for an hour or more easily.
I have an 8000Mah that out lasts my attention span when crawling. I can't fathom the amount of nitro fuel you would need to carry to get the equivalent to a few of these in a back pack.
Finally, Nitro engines are dependent on a clutch, which would be difficult to manage for any kind of climbing, so your rig would limited to “trail truck”.
I was so disapointed by my Nitro HPI Savage with it's crawling ability.
Spoken by someone who doesn’t crawl, but is curious about this segment of the hobby. To me, it seems like electric is much better suited for the class.
It is.