Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler? >

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

General advice and consensus on a great 1st crawler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

The first question to any "What's the best vehicle?" request is what do you plan on doing with it? Are you going to walk trails with it or try and scale the most extreme stuff possible? Maybe you just like the scale realism of it and like watching the vehicle. I understand that the OP asked the question six months ago and probably has decided already but maybe someone else will look at this thread with the same question.
DRTMI likes this.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is like asking advice for the best 1st tricycle. Buy what you like. It's a crawler!
Old 08-27-2021, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

lot of reading and lots of videos and almost every crawler is electric. Why so few Nitros?
When I was a kid back in the early 80s I had 2 Nitro buggies. Lots of fun and ran them all day long. Had a friend who had three, 1 nitro, and 2 electric. we took them out and just bashed the hell out of them.
I bought 2 while i was in collage. Traxxas rustler and stampede electric
Now I am 55, and my sons are 12 and 15 and i bought the rustler 4x4 and slash 4x4, more dirt roads then pathed. Just a side note, i spent more on charger and batteries, lol.
I got the Revo 3.3, and I plan on making it a crawler, I ordered lots of extra parts, I am a motor head as well. Went from nitro to real in my teens.
I bought stuff I want to try out on the revo, like spools, different gears clutch bell/spur sets. Got the Boxy Lady body (80 Chevy truck) I plan on removing the Optidrive from it and got the cover plate to fill the whole. I drive manual trans so I understand that the revo has to be at a stop to shift in to reverse. I have read a lot about how the Optidrive fails. If that is the case for me i will just remove it and unplug the servo leads from the optidrive block and plug them in the receiver block so those servo will work. I do plan on getting different motors and trans for it.

So are there any Nitro crawlers out there?

Thanks for reading. Just an intro, I just joined the site as it has been almost 20 years I have played with RC cars. I thought I join this group and get some help if i need it or Ideals.
XeroMyHero
Old 08-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by XeroMyHero
lot of reading and lots of videos and almost every crawler is electric. Why so few Nitros?
Because it is annoying , bad for your health and freakishly expensive .

You dont know much about crawling, do you?
mrreet2001 likes this.

Last edited by themountain; 09-02-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't know nothing about RC Crawling, I am just a basher, brake'em and fix'em was my plan back them.
Electric or Nitro, motors can get expensive, I seen electric motor as high as $600 and I have seen nitro motor that high as well.
Not every likes Nitro, but I do, I like tuning and tweeking nitro.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know nothing about RC Crawling, I am just a basher, brake'em and fix'em was my plan back them.
Electric or Nitro, motors can get expensive, I seen electric motor as high as $600 and I have seen nitro motor that high as well.
Not every likes Nitro, but I do, I like tuning and tweeking nitro.
Who is putting a "$600" motor in a crawler. Crawler motors are like $20 (Brushed)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Who is putting a "$600" motor in a crawler. Crawler motors are like $20 (Brushed)
Eeemh...good ones cost a bit more than that ...and you have to get a ESC too.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by themountain
Eeemh...good ones cost a bit more than that ...and you have to get a ESC too.
An ESC is not a $600 motor. Even still, what would be the most expensive COMBO for crawling? Something like the HW Axe is only 250.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:51 PM
TxT
Tech Rookie

An ESC is not a $600 motor. Even still, what would be the most expensive COMBO for crawling? Something like the HW Axe is only 250.
With holmes product it can be more expensive. But only a very few will take a very slight advantage using those high end stuff. So for the masses, less is more specially for crawler which are generally quite capable at start. I would not ruch into the easy way risking to miss all the beautiful part of this hobby : learning.

Cheers
JustRealRC
Old 09-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

An ESC is not a $600 motor....
..but you need that for any motor
most expensive 1/10 combo probably is from Tekin or Castle cremations...but even though you are hardpressed to spend 600$ on that.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

My local Hobby shop pulled out a few electric motors and esc that would cost up words of 500 600 bucks. I don't know who made them, but he did say they are brushless. He pulled out some 4 cycle inline 2 cylinder, and a 4 cycle V4 cylinder motor that cost well over $1000 bucks. He kept telling me electric is better, it was faster. That Nitro is no good and no one runs them any more.
I still bought the Revo 3.3 and I plan on making it a crawler.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

My local Hobby shop pulled out a few electric motors and esc that would cost up words of 500 600 bucks.
But we are talking here crawler or not ??
TxT likes this.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes I am talking about crawlers, but I like to do a nitro crawler.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

What kind of dealer do you have ??' 600 bucks for a crawler motor ..?? Is it 1/4 scale ??
Old 09-07-2021, 06:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by themountain
What kind of dealer do you have ??' 600 bucks for a crawler motor ..?? Is it 1/4 scale ??
Judging by his other posts I'm leaning towards he has no idea what he is talking about or he is just being a troll.
themountain and TxT like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.