How to connect Hobbywin UBEC 10A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NuG050

How to connect Hobbywin UBEC 10A

Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default How to connect Hobbywin UBEC 10A

So along with the Axial SCX10 III and a Savox SW1212SG, I bought a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and Hobbywing UBEC 10A.

So, first question is do I really need the external UBEC? The 1080 says it can do 7.4v. The servo does some beefy torque at 7.4v. I was told I needed to get an external BEC but I think I can just program the ESC to push out 7.4v...

Second question is IF I need an external BEC, how would I connect the Hobbywing one? For reference I know to connect BEC leads to the battery (either separate or in parallel with existing) and then to the RX (or with an Y-adapter, to the servo then to the RX) but the Hobbywing one has two plugs that is required to plug to the RX. Now I have no more spots available on my RX. So does that mean I cannot use this particular BEC? <-- I have two additional slots I plan to use for lights and a winch so while I do currently have two more slots, I won't in the near future...

Thanks guys!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So it was brought to my attention that I would need en external BEC since I am also running the micro servos. So now my question turns to the second part, how would I actually connect the Hobbywing BEC if I don't have any available slots on my RX?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Custom RX bypass with two inputs for Hobbywing UBEC 10A

BAM! Ok, made one...attached to servo and BEC and works like a charm!
themountain likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Custom Battery Bullet Parallel Leads with XT90 & T-Plug

Sooooo, the Hobbywing BEC required its own power source and rather than using a separate battery, I decided to build something for myself...so the HB BEC has some tiny-ass wires that took some effort to solder some T-Plugs onto. But once I got that set up, I had to figure out how to get power to it...I'm running a crawler so more weight prob wouldn't be in my best interest so I decided I needed to run the plugs in parallel and soldered up some bullets with XT90 for my ESC and TPlugs for my BEC. Came out pretty good if I do say so myself. Just not the solder on the bullets...
Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

for my liking it would have been best to solder ubec wire to esc main -/+... savox are power hogs you will need to remove red wire from rx plug..you could also solder the ubec wires to that plug on the rx/esc.I like a clean setup not many plugs and wires I dont need
Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah, I will have to clean it up later. Wife was just happy to have frinally gotten a crawler to match her 1:1 so I just put all the electronics rogether with some quick-work just to get it up and running for her. Next step I will need to clean everything up and wireloom it all, just so it'll look clean. But that's another project for another day...haha!
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 AM
Tech Initiate

I know this response is late, but you don't need to connect both outputs to the one servo. The reason there are 2 outputs is the connectors being used are only rated for 5, or maybe 7 (currently don't remember) amps, so to properly get the full 10 amp rating there are 2 sets. This is also useful for those with 2 servos, say a dig or rear steer. One connector per servo. Now nothing wrong with what you did, it is safe and fine to do.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Steve8 View Post
[..] so to properly get the full 10 amp rating there are 2 sets. [..]
Thanks for explaining that to me. I was thinking that, too, but wasn't sure! hahah! Those instructions aren't exactly clear as to what to do...at least not to me...