Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Lookin to get into crawler recommendations? >

Lookin to get into crawler recommendations?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Texas30cal

Lookin to get into crawler recommendations?

Old 02-13-2020, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Smile Lookin to get into crawler recommendations?

Looking to get into crawlers what kinda rigs am i looking for. Help
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Starting out you canít beat the trx4 . Some of them have big heavy bodies so lots of folks choose the sport. I like the two speed found in the other versions of the trx4 and find it very useful, takeout 2 speeds are available on eBay and itís a pretty easy swap, but youíll need the 3 channel radio to go with it. Canít go wrong with any version, it just depends on what you want to do. The trucks work great and are tough as nails (with the exception of the steering servo). Get a 25 kg servo and a quality aluminum servo horn from eBay or other source and youíre good to go.
simple and fyrstormer like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

What is the intended usage of the rc? Scale, trail, competition rock crawling, rock bouncing? Depending on what you intend to do will better determine a recommendation. With that said, as already stated, the TRX4 is a quality rig. So is the Axial Capra, and I think the Capra will be easier to modify into a competition crawler or trail buggy. The Vanquish Products VS4pro is definitely the best kit available.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
What is the intended usage of the rc? Scale, trail, competition rock crawling, rock bouncing? Depending on what you intend to do will better determine a recommendation. With that said, as already stated, the TRX4 is a quality rig. So is the Axial Capra, and I think the Capra will be easier to modify into a competition crawler or trail buggy. The Vanquish Products VS4pro is definitely the best kit available.
deff get this guys foams for your tires
Originally Posted by Texas30cal View Post
Starting out you canít beat the trx4 . Some of them have big heavy bodies so lots of folks choose the sport. I like the two speed found in the other versions of the trx4 and find it very useful, takeout 2 speeds are available on eBay and itís a pretty easy swap, but youíll need the 3 channel radio to go with it. Canít go wrong with any version, it just depends on what you want to do. The trucks work great and are tough as nails (with the exception of the steering servo). Get a 25 kg servo and a quality aluminum servo horn from eBay or other source and youíre good to go.
i agree with what they both said. i have the trx4 sport kit and love it. i added a holmes hobby 35t motor with a castle esc and a power hobby servo with pit bull rock beast tires i had laying around stuffed with some foams from nova's ark and they work perfect
Old 02-25-2020, 06:35 AM
Tech Initiate

I have mounted many axial, rcmodelex, rc4wd and other brands, but without a doubt the VS4 PRO is the best, in quality and in aptitudes and I have not tried it yet
Old 02-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

This /\

I am also new to this. What I have learned so far:

If you want to compete you have to learn what the classes are and build or buy accordingly. We have local competitions. In my area (maybe yours) there is Scale 1.9 inch rim with small tire and Scale 1.9 inch rim with large tire (this is where my TRX 4 competed). Than you have 2.2 rim any tire but appear to be scale. Then you have open class, function over style. They are basically bigger tires, suspension, some sort of frame/platform to blot your suspension and electronics to and some sort of body or cage to protect things.

I just got a TRX4 and it is great but I know very very little and have nothing to compare it to. It seemed to me TRX4s were bigger and more awkward but still capable. You definitely have to change the body unless you have the sport body. The stock tires really don't do well. I changed to a smaller body before the competition but not the tires. After the competition I bought some rims and tires from a guy there and the difference was unbelievable. The tires on my Mercedes version really really really suck butts compared to the ones I got at the competition.

My kids have purpose built crawlers. One is Scale 1.9 larger tire (like my TRX4) and the other is open class. There is no way my TRX4 can compete with those RCs, at least out of the box.

Last edited by MOguy; 02-25-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree the TRX-4 is the best 1.9" scale crawler on the market, but only if you buy the fully-featured version. If you're content to drive a truck with permanently-locked diffs and a single-speed transmission, there's no reason to spend extra on a TRX-4 vs. any number of other 1.9" scale crawlers with similar features and performance.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I agree the TRX-4 is the best 1.9" scale crawler on the market, but only if you buy the fully-featured version. If you're content to drive a truck with permanently-locked diffs and a single-speed transmission, there's no reason to spend extra on a TRX-4 vs. any number of other 1.9" scale crawlers with similar features and performance.
Most folks have no use for the locking & unlocking diffs, the 2 speed transmission, and the iminent failures of the associated servos. Other than being a neat toy, they offer no real benefit. The TRX-4 Sport is one of the most durable, and capable, scale trucks available. While I prefer my Gen8 and my Enduro for my own reasons, the TRX-4 Sport is one of the best scale trucks available.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Most folks have no use for the locking & unlocking diffs, the 2 speed transmission, and the iminent failures of the associated servos. Other than being a neat toy, they offer no real benefit. The TRX-4 Sport is one of the most durable, and capable, scale trucks available. While I prefer my Gen8 and my Enduro for my own reasons, the TRX-4 Sport is one of the best scale trucks available.
I'm pretty sure "being a neat toy" is the whole point of a RC truck, unless you're using it to defuse roadside bombs.

"Most folks" just want a truck to drive around and have fun, they're not competing at all. They're not going to strip diff gears and servos on a regular basis because they aren't driving that hard. I run into the same mentality when discussing mountain bikes; according to people on MTB forums, "most folks" need 6 inches of suspension travel, 4-piston disc brakes, tubeless tires, and seatpost with a remote-control height adjustment for those sudden steep descents. Um, no -- most folks who ride bikes at all ride Huffys with rusty chains between their apartments and the local bus stop; elite features would be completely lost on them.

While that would seem to suggest that a simpler RC truck would also be similarly suited to "most folks", in this case the extra features offered by the original TRX-4 makes it easier to drive in a wide range of conditions. Permanently locked diffs and a super-low gear ratio make scaler trucks too specialized for general fooling-around. High gear makes the truck more fun on smooth terrain, and the unlockable diffs are useful for helping the truck handle better in high gear. If 95% of your driving is on rocks where you're going less than 1mph and traction is your only concern, then I agree the 2-speed transmission and unlockable diffs are useless to you, but I probably spend less than 50% of my time driving on terrain difficult enough to damage the motor if I stay in high gear, and less than 25% of my time driving on terrain where I need locked diffs to clear obstacles. Basically, the 2-speed transmission and unlockable diffs increase the entertainment value of the truck (which is the only value an RC truck has in the first place) by making it more fun to drive on a wider variety of terrain. For those of us who don't live on the side of a mountain, this is a handy thing.

Having said that, I do own 3 solid-axle trucks with permanently locked diffs, all of which have 2-speed transmissions so I can get a wider range of speeds from them, and the permanently locked diffs don't make those trucks impossible to drive at higher speeds, just harder. But since the TRX-4 offers options to alleviate that extra difficulty, why not go for it? I pretty much only drive my SCX10 II and Ascender when I know I'm going to be spending time in the woods, because they're just a bit too finicky to drive around suburbia.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-27-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

The only place I have seen the Sport is on the shelf at s store. I have only been to one competition and a few event and have never seen an Sports actual used. Unlocked and higher geared won't make it.