Struggling to find the spark

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By targetingxmod

Struggling to find the spark

Old 09-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Struggling to find the spark

I stopped rc racing a year ago (getting too expensive and hard with a young family) but a good friend convinced me to try rc scale rock crawlers. I had ago of his Traxxas around the pretty cool track in his backyard that he and his son built. Really enjoyed it so I went out and bought the Axel Scx10.2, then spent about $300++ on upgrades and other useless crap. Started driving it around his track and my rock garden, started off been great fun but after a few batteries I became a bit bored with it. Driven it a few more times at home and the local scrub park but usually after about 15m I've lost interest. My crawler has now spent the last 3 months on my desk getting dusty..

My wife keeps telling me to sell it but after all the time and money I spent on it I can't find myself throwing it away.

Just need to find the spark to get back into it, after 15 years of racing 1/8 buggy and 1/10 electric/glow on road my brain just cannot get into slow n steady scale crawling...
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You probably need to enter some competitions. I started in 10th scale 2wd buggy electric racing back in the sub-c cell days, then 1/8 nitro buggy for several years until all the close tracks closed, then back to electric to race short course trucks until that fizzled out in my area. I found that during all that racing I didn't really enjoy taking any of my cars out to goof around with unless I was testing something new....to eventually go race.

One of the main reasons I haven't purchased a crawler kit even though I know I would love the build process and first few drives, but after that if I wasn't entering any competitions I know it would sit on the shelf.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Put a brushless system in it! I upgraded my wraith to a brushless system and now have a lot more fun with it with the extra wheel speed
Old 10-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

The biggest part is just finding destinations TO crawl. Sure, if you're doing your backyard, it'll get boring. The fun, at least for me, is in the challenges. I spent 20 attempts rolling my TRX4 down a 5+ ft rock face yesterday, to get a line complete. I'm honestly shocked nothing broke..not even the lexan, lol. But..if you're on facebook, maybe look up a group called RCMap - Tiny Truck Maps. They're trying to compile places and network with ppl to create a big map of areas ot crawl..which is cool for local stuff, but also cool if you're ever on vacation and can drag it along.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try setting up some gates and time yourself thru them also keep score you can make any terrain a challenge if you set up gates correctly. It gives you a purpose and something to focus on instead of just bobbling from one rock to the next. Look up competition rules and give it a shot.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

You could use the Crawler in the most exotic places on earth and make videos with it and share! The GOPRO 7 BLACK or the GOPRO 8 BLACK or the OSMO ACTION camera do not need any gimball and make perfect stable video and good quality! Don't go with the cheap chineses garbagde... these are the only action cameras worth the money to buy now in 2019! I have been there!

Just look at some of my videos if they make that spark on you...

Or even for some speed, but still on the crawler segment...

(If this last video won't fuel your spark, nothing in RC will!!lol) IMO, and you should sell that rc's you got and get another hobbie!
Coopz likes this.