R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Crawler Room (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room-151/)
-   -   Wanting to get crawler (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room/1050184-wanting-get-crawler.html)

mjordan44847 09-14-2019 02:32 PM

Wanting to get crawler

hi all,

i am am wanting to get a crawler and I’m very indecisive as to what.

Rtr vs build my own

traxxas vs axial.

Id love to hear different opinions and that. I plan on doing some trail crawling at a local part.

freaksofnature 09-14-2019 06:44 PM

Both have their pros and cons. Rtr basically put a battery in and go kit you get the satisfaction of building it and if something breaks you have an idea of how to fix it plus you get to put what ever electronics you want in. Rtr is normaly cheaper then kit after you factor in radio and electronics. Now axial vs Traxxas that's gonna be hard. Both have their fan boys. I have the trx4 n a friend has the scx10 2 n my stock trx can take the same lines as his modified scx10

anthonyscardina 09-15-2019 04:01 AM

I just built an enduro kit last weekend, the trans and shocks were a LOT nicer than my SCX10ii kit. Transferred over the electronics, wheels and body from my axial and it crawled far better at the local small indoor course. Tighter turning radius than my axial and front overdrive seem to have made all the difference.

Njeffs8 09-27-2019 11:05 PM

I would say get the kit over an RTR. It’s much better building it yourself that way you know everything works. Usually kits tend to come with upgraded parts since they don’t come with electronics. Also the RTR electronics are never the greatest. As far as axial over traxxas my preference is axial but both have a cool lineup. The trx4 is cool with the locking/unlocking of diffs. I have a wraith and love it.

cul8tr 09-29-2019 05:34 PM

TRX4 to much to keep up with (gadgets) as far as things breaking and wearing out. 2 spd trans is either to fast or not fast enough for the situation.
TRX4 sport less to mess with and less to break.
Axial all the way. Always the right gear without switching back and forth.

Kit is better but some people don't want to build. Either will do fine rtr or kit.

Just the opposite here the TRX4 has a hard time on our private trail. Tumbles and rolls all the time.
Axial just seems to work better on our trail.
Of course it could be just the difference in the drivers.

Kjp616 09-30-2019 08:43 PM

My vote would be either for the TRX4 or Element enduro. Either are very good Crawlers in rtr and kit form, with a slight edge to Traxxas simply for availability of upgrades and parts currently..

dpiRC 10-06-2019 08:40 PM

My vote will definitely be for the trx4 sport kit. I went into the kit with literally no experience in RC or building kits..and it was a piece of cake. Just took longer than I expected..and painting a body, I was in such a hurry..I didn't do a very good job. But..being able to pick a servo that isn't going to fail, and the esc/motor is great. Most ppl with trx4's go with holmes hobby trailmaster 21t / hobbywing 1080 esc (best brushed esc) .. and the best part, the motor is 20 bucks, esc is like 40. Cheap.

I've been loving my trx4 so much, I even started making videos. Just made a fresh one today, check it out if you want.
Well..this forum, for some reason, won't allow me to link URLs...but youtube "TRXellence vol. 4" if you're interested in seeing what a slightly built trx4 sport can do. Only mods I've got, are brass portal covers, metal beadlocks, and a ghetto front battery mount i made out of a watch band and a lego platform, lol. A few other "free mods".

freaksofnature 10-06-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dpiRC (Post 15523578)
My vote will definitely be for the trx4 sport kit. I went into the kit with literally no experience in RC or building kits..and it was a piece of cake. Just took longer than I expected..and painting a body, I was in such a hurry..I didn't do a very good job. But..being able to pick a servo that isn't going to fail, and the esc/motor is great. Most ppl with trx4's go with holmes hobby trailmaster 21t / hobbywing 1080 esc (best brushed esc) .. and the best part, the motor is 20 bucks, esc is like 40. Cheap.

I've been loving my trx4 so much, I even started making videos. Just made a fresh one today, check it out if you want.
Well..this forum, for some reason, won't allow me to link URLs...but youtube "TRXellence vol. 4" if you're interested in seeing what a slightly built trx4 sport can do. Only mods I've got, are brass portal covers, metal beadlocks, and a ghetto front battery mount i made out of a watch band and a lego platform, lol. A few other "free mods".

Ya I agree the trx4 us real easy to build and the instructions are in color and all the parts images are 1:1 it can easily go from a bunch of parts to basically a roller in a few evenings. And once the frame is assembled it's pretty Stout and ridged

mjordan44847 10-08-2019 02:14 PM

Thanks all I think after that video the trx4 sport is it thanks

freaksofnature 10-08-2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mjordan44847 (Post 15524690)
Thanks all I think after that video the trx4 sport is it thanks

Now you just have to decide which sport you want. The rtr or kit. I know the kit comes with the single speed transmission and locked diffs in the axles. Not sure if the rtr comes the same way

BugleBoy10 10-26-2019 11:48 AM

Despite what others say, I think there can be definite benefits to buying an RTR. If you're new to the hobby, it's nice to have something you can just pop a battery in and go have fun, and it's nice that the initial cost is far less than if you built one all out. That being said, you have to go into it expecting parts to fail or lack performance, so expect to replace and upgrade as you go. It's fine to learn as you go and just work on parts as needed, and most RTRs still have a manual that tells you how to build everything. On the flip side, if you want to get exactly what you want, and you have the cash to do so, I'm pretty sure building a kit will cost less in the long run.

dpiRC 10-27-2019 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BugleBoy10 (Post 15534705)
Despite what others say, I think there can be definite benefits to buying an RTR. If you're new to the hobby, it's nice to have something you can just pop a battery in and go have fun, and it's nice that the initial cost is far less than if you built one all out. That being said, you have to go into it expecting parts to fail or lack performance, so expect to replace and upgrade as you go. It's fine to learn as you go and just work on parts as needed, and most RTRs still have a manual that tells you how to build everything. On the flip side, if you want to get exactly what you want, and you have the cash to do so, I'm pretty sure building a kit will cost less in the long run.

That's true. Different strokes for different folks. I was completely new to crawling and building, and went kit still, because I prioritize performance over anything, and the less money I can spend to get it, the better. I think a lot of people who take the time to sign up on here, are the same boat..but might need, if anything, a push in the right direction to see go after it, by building a kit :D

constant threat 10-28-2019 05:25 AM

Are you interested in competition? Or just trail days?

mjordan44847 10-29-2019 06:17 PM

Just trail to start

another_one 11-04-2019 10:57 AM

I just finished an Axial Capra this weekend. My 3rd RC after getting back into RC after years (decades?) away, I find the building kits is just as much if not more enjoyable than driving. Why do you think you want to go with a kit?

RTR definitely has advantages. You can just drive them without messing around for days. You don't have to worry if your ESC fits, or if you need a programming card to change the motor rotation, or if the receiver you ordered works with your transmitter, etc. Oh, and painting. Did they tell you there is paint involved in kits? There is.

But... if you like obsessing over details, if you want your vehicle to be "just right", if you like customizing, if you need to get yout tinker on, then kit all the way!
If you are the sort that ends up upgrading everything anyways, maybe start with a kit and build what you want. If you just want to get out on the trail and have fun with toy trucks, RTR.