Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Help me get started >

Help me get started

Help me get started

Old 09-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me get started

I raced Formula 1 a very long time ago, I am 61 and it seems like just yesterday. Anyway i was really thinking about racing an ebuggy but now I am having second thoughts. Two different size cars for two different seasons. Not being able to run them when I wanted, The travel, appears to be increased cost. After all that I am rethinking all this.

My son purchased a TRX4 Tactical and enjoys it. I have been recommended by another in town to get a TRX4 or SCX10 2. I would like recommendations on tracks, radios and anything else. For one thing the two speed transmission on some vehicles appeals to me but don't know if really needed.

I am told there is a crawler track not far from my house which is appealing. I also have a large basement and could set up something downstairs if I wanted.

I am just thinking out loud but could some advice.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've had 20+ RCs and am really impressed with the quality of the trx-4 (I have 2 now), can't comment on the scx10.2. The only weakness I've found on the trx-4 is the plastic servo horn.
I don't have any places to compete, but love driving them in trails when hiking and the two speed is great for that since there are generally fairly smooth stretches between obstacles. The Tactical and Land Rover have heavy bodies and low hanging bumpers that hurt their performance, so I'd recommend one of the other versions if you want to run stock bumpers and body (I can't comment on the gwagon body weight but the others are much lighter than tactical and Land rover).
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Tech Initiate

I'd say if your first instinct was to race, and you used to be a racer..a crawler might not be your "speed" .. but, maybe it is. I'd say, try your sons out before buying. A lot of people end up buying a crawler, and it just isn't appealing..because it's slow. Like..slow as $hit. Crawling consists of a lot of calculated, slow, balancing moves and manuevers to try to crack the mystery of how to climb or descend whatever the obstacle is. A lot of people get bored with home courses, because..it's always the same, or it takes a lot of effort to build new things that are actually challenging..and it just won't ever be like being out somewhere climbing actual rocks and coming across unknown obstacles. Courses and things are cool, but it's kinda the same deal, unless they're updating it frequently, and there's some kind of competition..it's challenging to stay interested. But that's just me.

As far as two speed transmissions..it's just another thing to manage for me. I run the Trx4 sport to avoid that. It's performing everything I want it to do, and more. I really enjoy the stuff I described earlier, trying to solve the mystery of finding the line to make it up a rock face..but then again, I live in an area that has some really good crawling. I'd say check out the crawling track you've got, or run your son's truck on it..and find out if they ever change things up, or hold competitions...coming from a racer, you're probably competitive. I am too.

As much as I love crawling, I myself, am also looking into racing. My first RC was a somewhat fast truck, but it broke everytime I ran it, doing 4-5 ft jumps..which isn't that crazy for RC trucks. I've recently realized there's a dirt oval track local to me..and I think I want to get into that next. I compete against myself when crawling..I want to compete against others with racing