R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Crawler Room (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room-151/)
-   -   Traxxas TRX4 Tactical (https://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-room/1043774-traxxas-trx4-tactical.html)

King DORK 05-26-2019 04:01 PM

Traxxas TRX4 Tactical

I already have a pimp Losi Comp Crawler and a Mini Rock Crawler Pro and blessed to have a track nearby with an amazing crawler room. Picked up this TRX4 Tactical for something to add a little variety and something for my wife and boys to run if they come out with me. Got some time playing with this thing around the yard and despite having a totally different temperament towards crawling as my Comp Crawler, I found myself reminded of why I've always had a spot in my heart for Traxxas. Vehicle is simply fun to run. Higher speed or crawling over stuff it's just a fun vehicle that allows you to let your guard down, relax, and just have a good time. The TRX4 line also packs a lot of innovation and quality into a fairly inexpensive rtr vehicle. Actually more anxious now to get this on the crawler course than my Comp Crawler. Will soon be adding 2 of the TRX4 Sports for my boys and that will be a ton of fun.

freaksofnature 05-27-2019 02:58 PM

Thats because scale crawling is a totaly diff animal than comp crawling. I use to comp crawl back in the day with some of the best on the east coast but i got tired of chasing points on the course and being limited to where i could crawl.

King DORK 07-27-2019 02:48 PM

Well, after several runs hitting the walking trails at a couple of the local parks, and a couple runs at the local crawler course neither my stock esc or servo lasted. Neither one kicked when I was doing anything extreme. As a matter of fact, my 2 boys are much harder on their TRX4 Sports and no issues with either of them yet. So tonight the Tactical will be getting a Hobbywing 1080. Hope all goes well with that. I know stock rtr electronics usually suck at best, but had I have anticipated this I would have bought the builder's kit and put inexpensive, but exponentially better electronics in. On a positive, the Tactical has really impressed me with it's climbing abilities, as have the boy's Sports.

King DORK 07-27-2019 06:11 PM

Curious, does anyone know off the top of their head what the stock shock oil weight is for a TRX4? Would like to go maybe 5 lower when I rebuild. Thanks

freaksofnature 07-27-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by King DORK (Post 15486148)
Curious, does anyone know off the top of their head what the stock shock oil weight is for a TRX4? Would like to go maybe 5 lower when I rebuild. Thanks

30wt

King DORK 07-27-2019 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by freaksofnature (Post 15486153)
30wt

Thank you!

freaksofnature 07-27-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by King DORK (Post 15486159)
Thank you!

np took me a few min of looking on rcc for the answer

King DORK 08-01-2019 06:28 PM

Fun night of crawling at the local track tonight with the Tactical. Hobbywing 1080 made a noticeable difference over the stock turd esc. Much smoother and way better drag brake that didn't fade. First run with some new beadlocks and tires as well. Gave a try to a set of the Austar (Proline Hyrax knock offs) tires. For 20 bucks a set of 4 I figured what the heck. Used the stock foams which were quite narrow without much sidewall support, and only slightly trimmed the tops of the foams. Tires impressed me. For the money I'm really happy that I flipped a coin on these. Will definitely throw these on my boys' Sports when ready for a tire swap.

King DORK 08-21-2019 11:51 AM

This past weekend was one of my boy's birthday parties. One of his friends spent the night. My 5 year old was feeling a little left out so he asked me if we could go to the track with our crawlers. Loaded up the TRX4 Tactical and Sport and had a great day of crawling with my little buddy. He's driven several times at local parks but this was his first time on a purpose built course. Was quite impressed with his abilities, once he got his throttle finger in check. Lol. Money well spent for priceless memories!

King DORK 09-01-2019 06:32 PM

So, went 5wt lower during a shock rebuild. Small difference felt huge. Even on bench truck was so easy to tilt from side to side. On the course it articulated much easier, and steering was better. Only negative, mashing the throttle to bounce over stuff, squatted much easier and didn't bounce back as much. Overall really liked how it drove and recommended trying it.