Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
What brushless motor? >

What brushless motor?

What brushless motor?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default What brushless motor?

I have an scx10 with a mamba micro and a 45T brushed motor and I am happy enough with it.

I bought a second used scx10 for my son and put a mamba micro in it. It already had a 45T brushed motor but it is a dog. The fist rig is a 1.9 wheeled rig and the new one is a 2.2 with heavily weighted wheels and it just kills it. I need a brushless motor, cheap, but I have never run brushless in a crawler. I saw some cheap tenshock crawler motors but they were 6 pole and I dont believe the mamba micro will handle 6 pole. Definitely want sensored!!!

Thanks for your suggestions!

trucks are both 2s lipo
Old 04-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

There are many options for crawler specific rigs. Even sensorless outrunners that will have better drag brake and start up then the average brushed motor. There is a company called Holmes hobbies who specializes in crawler motors and escs, even servos. I would first recommend checking out his site, even send an email and ask his opinion. I would suggest for a budget motor his trail master motors, but I'm not sure the capacity of the micro x esc you have. He works specifically with castle so would know best. Me personally I like a 540 4 pole around 3500kv on 3s geared down. I have that on an eight scale esc. That probably would be to much for your set up, but that depends on what you are after really. A 1400kv revolver would be closer to the 35t in terms of speed. But the revolver is loud. So send them an email at Holmes hobbies, once you buy from him you'll be a customer for life. Great customer service and great products. And no, I'm not affiliated, just impressed with what he does.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HI xrocket21, most crawlers do run brushed motors. I run a 12 turn Titan 550 motor in my Gen7 sport. I also had to change the gears to get the speed that I wanted. I noticed more of a difference by changing gear ratios than by changing motors. I personally don't believe that a brushless motor can handle the demanding stress of a crawler. I'm not that familiar with your particular car but you might want to change your gearing first. Also, I don't think your ESC is up to par to deal with a hot motor. I would go for gearing change first.