Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Looking for a rock crawler >

Looking for a rock crawler

Like Tree1Likes

Looking for a rock crawler

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for a rock crawler

Iím new to crawlers but want one thatís affordable and easily customizable, any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

budget? scale?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know what affordable is in your dictionary. But what seems to be a good rig right now is the Redcat P.A.C.K. It's in kit form so you can do your build step by step. It seems to be much better than the previous Gen7. The only thing I don't like is the axles that are geared down because of design to allow for more ground clearance. You might have to experiment with gear ratios to get your desired effect.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Look up the Traxxas TRX4. It appears that they have high ratings and lots of stuff. You can get a RTR, (ready to run) or build one up from the kit. I picked mine up and after a few hours it has me very happy. Buy once cry once.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:27 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Scx10.2 is highly customizable, I would stay away from the gen 8, I own two but am disappointed in purchase.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks roadrashracing. I was seriously thinking about getting one. I think I'm cured now.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I have a total of 6 crawlers, 5 are axial, 1 is Traxxas. I had Axial SCX10/10.2's for years and they are awesome! However, I bought the kit TRX4 and paired it with the Hobbywing AXE system and it is amazing! The TRX4 is pretty light so weight upgrades will be needed if you do a lot of crawling, but it works great for trail running.

You should figure out what you intend to do with it. Motors and ESC's can get expensive if your running brushless, but brushed systems work as well (just keep extra batteries on hand)

If you buy a RTR (ready to run) crawler you should get a crawling motor and esc with it. If you go with a kit that needs to be built, you want a low kV motor or high turn.
Steering servos are like most things (you get what you pay for). You can get cheap high torque servos from amazon, but they are 50/50 on getting a bad one. Hitec makes amazing high torque servos, just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

The Redcat Racing Gen7 PRO for $249.99 is a great option for getting into crawling on a budget. The only thing that you might need is the steel transmission gear set and a better steering servo. If you really get it into crawling and need even more performance, then you can upgrade it with portal axles for more ground clearance. A lot of aftermarket parts are available for the GEN7 as well.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

If you want something for a total of $350 to make into a serious machine and don't mind 1/18th. The ECX Temper Gen2. It is actually more like 1/12. If you get into a AX10 or Night Crawler say, you will spend a heck of a lot more to bring it to that level. It is just a physically larger vehicle. A completely modded Temper Gen2 will go up against a completely modded Night Crawler IMO. Probably not my AX10 but I went nuts on it.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
Scx10.2 is highly customizable, I would stay away from the gen 8, I own two but am disappointed in purchase.
What has been disappointing about the Gen8?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I own a gen8, no complaints. Love this rig. You can't beat the price for what you get.
Bri likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Axial SCX10.2 and Traxxas TRX-4 are basically what most of the locals are using here in my group.
Tons of replacement and modified parts available out there. I personally own 3 TRX-4s and absolutely loved them.

I've seen a couple of Redcat crawlers come in for a few weeks within my group and they disappear and got replaced by another brand the next coming weeks. I have nothing against Redcat and have not yet own one. They have good crawler platforms and their price is very competitive, parts support are good as well. But I've heard what "previous" owners say about it. I guess it has to come down to the owner's preference.

Element RC (Team Associated) has released their Enduro, it is available as RTR or Kit form. How it performs compared to SCX10.2 and TRX-4 is yet to be seen as it just now became available for end users.

Whatever brand should you decide to get, I hope that you enjoy this hobby as much as we do.

Last edited by OverGeared; 07-03-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't say the TRX4 is lightweight. It's heaviest out of most of the other platforms, but it's also really sturdy chassis-wise. It's a good truck, but I'd stick with the TRX-4 Sport/Sport Kit if you're strictly crawling only.

Axial SCX10.2 is tried and true, tons of aftermarket upgrade options, but the plastic quality isn't as good as the TRX4 or some other trucks.

Gen8 is a good value for a budget, but it's got some things that are annoying. It performs pretty decent out of the box given that. It's a truck I wouldn't invest too much money into though.

Element Enduro so far has been one of the best RTRs I've driven straight out of the box. You get a lot of good stuff for that $350. Also compatible with a lot of aftermarket stuff out there for the Axial SCX10.2. It's a good performer with great shocks (Associated should know a thing or two about shocks!). The one thing that really sucks about it are the bumpers and the thin body, BUT easily swapped out. They also make a kit version coming out this month.

I really like my GMADE BOM, and it performs awesome, while also having compatibility with Axial SCX10.2 aftermarket parts, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, as you won't have enough people crawling with them to be able to get accurate setup knowledge. It is a GREAT truck though.

If I had a budget of $350, I'd get the Element Enduro or the Traxxas TRX4 Sport as a first truck.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Are you looking for a rock crawler or trail truck?
Gen8 is decent to an extent and a great 1st attempt for Redcat to get serious with something of their own.
Stock tires suck and a loud servo gave it away right off
Fast motor but jerky not smooth
Turning is not as tight as some of it's competition. Seems almost twice as big as a 10.2 builders kit.
Portal gears are a week point broke 2 so far.
1 slider broke
1 lower link mount broke
2 steering links broke
1 portal case broke
Running on 3s
I have not been easy on this truck. I've ran it just like I would my 10.2.
That being said I'm going to sell/trade my Gen8
Axial Unimog kit on the list
Axial has a lot of aftermarket support
Element kit is on the list. The included overdrive is worth it to me
Like racing look at LHS to see what brands they support (parts wise) for when you break something
Some LHS have demos that you can tryout at the store
Old 07-18-2019, 02:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is there a 1/8th scale crawler? I missed my tamiya txt with tube chassis and 4ws 4wd!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service