Grinding noise

Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Grinding noise

I have a wl toys 10428 that i just bought as a starter rc crawler, its my first. I took it down to the park, did a few hill climbs, drove it off a picnic bench and did donuts on a baseball diamond. Somewhere between the table jump and donuts it started making a lound kinda grinding noise. At first i thought something was just hitting the plastic(like the wheel). After investigating a little i realized it was more than wheels hitting the body. Any help would be appreciated. I know nothing about rc cars except what I've recently saw on youtube so please bare with me if i jave "dumb" questions.

mahalo nui loa
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

check to see where grinding noise is coming from? … might be pinion and spur gear mesh.. motor might have slipped ...many different things can cause this from diff gears to what I said
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
check to see where grinding noise is coming from? might be pinion and spur gear mesh.. motor might have slipped ...many different things can cause this from diff gears to what I said
thank you for the quick reply. I checked the diff gears and they are all good. I'll check the spur gear and pinion and see if that's it. Anyone know of any videos or step by step instructiokns on this particular vehicle for changing spur gear or pinion? Sorry, as i said I'm new to this hobby.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Killa808 View Post
thank you for the quick reply. I checked the diff gears and they are all good. I'll check the spur gear and pinion and see if that's it. Anyone know of any videos or step by step instructiokns on this particular vehicle for changing spur gear or pinion? Sorry, as i said I'm new to this hobby.
wl toys model 10428
Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

31,000 vids doing google search ..youll need to pick the 1 you need.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
31,000 vids doing google search ..youll need to pick the 1 you need.
🤙🏼
Old 04-03-2019, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Well...what do you exspect?? You answered your own question --> "...After investigating a little i realized it was more than wheels hitting the body..."
Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would put the car up on a block so that the wheels spin freely. Then you can run the car slowly listening for the area where the noise seems to be coming from. If you can't pinpoint it, remove the wheels and see if you can still hear the noise. Then remove the body and try again. Hopefully you can narrow down the spot where the noise is coming from.

The wl toys model 10428 is a very popular model. From YouTube, you can type in "wl toys model 10428 changing spur gear or pinion", or just "wl toys model 10428 spur gear." You should get good results that way. If you can't find anything, let us know.