Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II >

Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Alright, So I ordered this way back in December, finally got in February, and haven't posted about it until March! I didn't want to post about it before, because I just haven't done much to it. In fact I still haven't, but I might as well start the thread now that I've run it a few times and have videos of it.

Videos of my Gen8 Scout II

Build Details:

RedCat Gen8 Scout II (Blue) RTR (find on ebay)

Parts:

ProTek RC Low profile servo horn (find on ebay)
SSD RC M3 Bent Rod Ends (find on ebay)
Pro-Line Racing #10128-14 Hyrax 1.9 G8 Rock Terrain Truck Tires (find on ebay)
Pro-Line 1.9 Dual Stage Foam (find on ebay)
Aluminum 1.9inches RC Beadlock 12 Spokes Wheels/Rims (find on ebay)

Electronics:

DS Servo DS3218 20kg Servo (find on ebay)
Hobbywing Quicrun WP1080 (find on ebay)
FlySky FS-GR3E 3ch Receiver (find on ebay)
FlySky GT3C Radio (find on ebay)

Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Here's the first thing that I wanted to adjust. The steering geometry is off out of the box, and it kind of bothered me.

Look how far out in front the servo end of the draglink is. I haven't gotten around this part yet, but sooner or later I hope it can be addressed

Here you can see that the draglink and panhard rod are not at the same angle. The panhard rod has a steeper angle than the draglink.

Part of the reason for a shallower draglink angle is due to the stock servo horn that comes with the truck

Since I didn't have anything suitable on hand, I wanted to see if there was something I could do while I waited for the parts I needed. I ended up figuring out how to get the correct angle just by moving the tie-rod below the knuckle mounting point rather than above. This allowed me to get the correct angle while using the stock servo horn.

Don't have pictures, but here's the video:

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap receivers. I thought the RedCat receiver would work with my FlySky GT3C since it's FlySky based, but apparently not. They must've done something to the Redcat version to make it RedCat specific. See the similarities between the RedCat and the Fly Sky Receivers?

Also took a look at my portal gears to see if they were missing grease. Lots of the earlier batches were reporting dry portal gears. Luckily my February release was all greased and ready to go.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

The RedCat body mounting system is a good idea, but the execution with the velcro left a little to be desired.

Here are some issues that I had.

Dropping the body straight on never worked well. The front just wouldn't stick.

This is the type of misalignment you get when you drop it straight on from the top

The secret to getting it mounted on correctly was to mount the front first, and then drop the back on.

Another issue is the side trim on the body prevents the body from mounting all the way down. It hits up against the sliders preventing the body from going down a bit more snugly.

This is something I'll address by trimming the sides, but I'm reluctant to do it until I get my magnets in. I'll be swapping out to magnets. It's the way to go.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Despite those issues that I posted about above, I had a chance to take it out for a run, and it did pretty well.

I hate the way the stock tires look, and the foams were garbage. So I stuck the Pro-Line Hyrax with Pro-Line Dual Stage Foams on ebay beadlocks that I was using for my MST CFX-W.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Another annoying thing. The driveshafts are out of phase, and there's nothing I can do about it on the stock shafts.

The steering geometry and these driveshafts make me wonder if it's just unfamiliar territory, or lack of attention to detail.

I was looking into the RedCat upgraded driveshafts, but HumboldtEF mentioned that they were still out of phase. I'll probably to see what cheap generic driveshafts might work on this truck.

I tried the Axial WB8 Driveshafts, and the length is good. The only issue with those is the different screw size diameter for holding the driveshaft in place. The Axial ones are a bigger diameter.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Take two on the steering mod.

I decided to move the draglink from connecting at the tie-rod to connecting at the top of the knuckle like some others here have done.

The ProTek RC low-profile servo horn finally came in and I was all ready to go until I got this...

I couldn't get the angle I wanted, because the rod-ends didn't allow for it.

So I used SSD RC M3 bent rod-ends. They're roughly the same length in order to keep the draglink the same length as the panhard rod.

Now I'm a happy camper for as far as I can go without a new bumper/servo mount design. Side to side suspension bump steer improved with this change.

Last edited by soze; 03-17-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks soze. Great coverage on the "8". I have a Gen7 and it seams that Redcat has a problem with servo mounting and related linkage. My linkage bottoms out on the chassis. It seems that a slightly longer servo horn would have solved or at least minimized the problem (any hints on where to find one would be appreciated). The stock sport shocks are garbage, unable to support the vehicle level at a standstill. However, keep in mind these problems are minimal in comparison to its climbing capabilities. Overall a good job by Redcat.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Has anyone tried a straight rod for the panhard on these yet?