Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Vaterra Ascender F100 or Redcat Gen8 Scout 2? >

Vaterra Ascender F100 or Redcat Gen8 Scout 2?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TIME MACHINE
  • 1 Post By ASA
  • 1 Post By TIME MACHINE
  • 1 Post By freaksofnature

Vaterra Ascender F100 or Redcat Gen8 Scout 2?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 AM
ASA
Tech Adept

Default Vaterra Ascender F100 or Redcat Gen8 Scout 2?

I know there are hopups for each of these trucks and they both have their pros and cons.... but i am looking for bang for buck out of the box for the odd back yard crawl....they both look like pretty good rigs in stock form but which would you regular trail guys(im new to the crawling scene) think would be the go-to truck as far as performance, reliability and parts support be in the long run?.....cheers
Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

In my humble opinion, the Gen 8 will be a much better performer out of the box. The Gen 8 is brand new, and should be supported for a long time to come. The original Ascender is getting old, so I'd be hesitant to jump on board this late in the game.

The Ascender uses a shorty pack, and that would be a deal breaker for me. You can upgrade the truck to accept a full size pack, so it's easily done if you wanted. The Ascender has quirks that would steer me away from it. The Gen 8 has portal axles, looks beautiful, and already has third party aftermarket support on the way.
ASA likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Although the Ascender can be a very capable truck, it's older and kind of seems like it's being bumped down the totem pole by Horizon after their acquisition of Axial. The Redcat has a beautiful body and a lot of nice features packed in for a great price. There are a few quirks with the engineering on the truck, but people are already finding ways around them.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 PM
ASA
Tech Adept

Just ordered a Gen8......im way down here in NZ so might be the only one here at the mo
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

ASA, congrats on the gen 8. I bought a gen 7 about two months ago.The gen 8 seems to be thought out way more better. I bought a new motor right away. the gearing didn't let it go much faster. I had to modify an after market spur to get a little more speed. It also had a tipping problem. The batts. were mounted way to high. I had to modify the batteries mounting brackets.
So far the stock ESC is working with the 12 turn 550 brushed motor and I well have to test drive it tomorrow. Anyway, it looks like they figured out the battery problem but may have caused additional problems with that new axle design. Such as speed. You may end up buying some after market parts.
Why didn't they use two of the same size gears in the ends of the axle assemblies.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
ASA, congrats on the gen 8. I bought a gen 7 about two months ago.The gen 8 seems to be thought out way more better. I bought a new motor right away. the gearing didn't let it go much faster. I had to modify an after market spur to get a little more speed. It also had a tipping problem. The batts. were mounted way to high. I had to modify the batteries mounting brackets.
So far the stock ESC is working with the 12 turn 550 brushed motor and I well have to test drive it tomorrow. Anyway, it looks like they figured out the battery problem but may have caused additional problems with that new axle design. Such as speed. You may end up buying some after market parts.
Why didn't they use two of the same size gears in the ends of the axle assemblies.

You must not have bought the Gen 7 for the purpose of crawling. Out of the box, itís actually too fast for its intended purpose. Most of the guys I run with slow them down. I put a 45T motor in mine.
freaksofnature likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post

You must not have bought the Gen 7 for the purpose of crawling. Out of the box, itís actually too fast for its intended purpose. Most of the guys I run with slow them down. I put a 45T motor in mine.
yup i did the same. I put a 35t motor combined with a sidewinder sct and ive never had any problems with it tipping
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Whats the steering like on the Gen8? Is it just like the Gen7? I know they mounted the servo much differently (still hoping a four wheel steering conversion is possible)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sazzlefrats View Post
Whats the steering like on the Gen8? Is it just like the Gen7? I know they mounted the servo much differently (still hoping a four wheel steering conversion is possible)
It's not without it's issues. The servo location is not ideal, and the steering geometry is off out of the box so you experience bump steer. I posted a free mod on YouTube that will address the bump steer when the suspension travels straight up and down, but it will still have issues articulating from side to side suspension movements. So I'm currently working on minimizing that, but the only real way to get rid of the issues is to make a new bumper mount and shock mount that puts the servo in a different location.

That being said, the Gen8 still performs pretty well out of the box. The steering angle has been hampered by the stock RTR radio, and users have found that swapping out your radio system gets it to the advertised 47deg steering angle.