Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me. >

I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Byebye
  • 1 Post By xl-racing
  • 1 Post By Furadi
  • 1 Post By TIME MACHINE

I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Questions?? I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.

I am hoping to build an FPV crawler on the semi-cheap. Currently I have Eachine goggles and a small cheap camera that I stick on the hood of my truck. The picture quality is awful and I really want to get something nice and clear. My range is also terrible.

i want to cap this off around $500 or less. What should I buy? Are the goggles more important than the camera, or the other way around? How can I boost the range (I'm not worried about legality, this is all hypothetical....lol).

Thanks for helping out a dummy, I have no clue on these sort of things. I just don't want to overpay for goggles or a camera and not know what I'm doing.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

I don't have this setup so I'm just joining the conversation to see where it goes. How far are you trying to go? I have a set of Fatsharks and my spectrum setup can go pretty far though I've never ran the two together.

Kris
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Byebye View Post
I don't have this setup so I'm just joining the conversation to see where it goes. How far are you trying to go? I have a set of Fatsharks and my spectrum setup can go pretty far though I've never ran the two together.

Kris
I am not trying to do anything crazy, just maybe a 200 yards would be awesome. Right now, after about 50 yards my setup is unusable.

My goal is to get some local FPV Rock crawling going around here locally. It would be far more challenging and something I could even do in my backyard to spice things up.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Following.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would recommend using a rotor riot edition runcam swift 2 that the one I use on my 250 size quad great cam for fpv
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post

I am hoping to build an FPV crawler on the semi-cheap. Currently I have Eachine goggles and a small cheap camera that I stick on the hood of my truck. The picture quality is awful and I really want to get something nice and clear. My range is also terrible.

i want to cap this off around $500 or less. What should I buy? Are the goggles more important than the camera, or the other way around? How can I boost the range (I'm not worried about legality, this is all hypothetical....lol).

Thanks for helping out a dummy, I have no clue on these sort of things. I just don't want to overpay for goggles or a camera and not know what I'm doing.
With your budget around $500 you can get top notch FPV unit both on the driver and truck itself. But the number one thumb rule getting top FPV experience is getting the best quality FPV goggle you can get hand on such as FATSHARK, SKYZONE and other with individual LCD screen per-eye than box goggle so that you'll have sense of distance, incoming object and other little thing that comes towards you infront like climbing rocks, recognizing roots, ramps and etc on the ground. Invest the best FPV goggle you can get..that the first priority and its the only thing you spent just one time in pursuit for FPV happiness. Proper FPV goggle have removable video receiver module, camera headtracking gyro, DVR, proper diopter adjustment, venting fan, lightweight compact build and comfy to wear for hours FPV. Other stuff like camera, video transmitter and etc is secondary and you can go super cheap on these because what every performance it has on these hardware depends much what FPV goggle can perform. If you looked at my previous video, my friends who used 'boxed' FPV goggle always confused with distance and range from my truck and not able to follow behind my truck properly. I've tired out his box an i'm myself also disoriented. Pay much on the goggle, and you can pay less on camera and video transmitter.

Snapshots:

Video:

TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Old thread but I thought I'd add some input. Best bang for the buck goggles are probably the Aomway Commander v1. For a camera you want a modern CMOS camera like the runcam sparrow 2 pro, eagle 2 pro or foxeer predator v3.

Modern CMOS will be far superior to any older style CCD cams like the swift. You get better wide dynamic range, better light handling and better shadow penetration.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
Old thread but I thought I'd add some input. Best bang for the buck goggles are probably the Aomway Commander v1. For a camera you want a modern CMOS camera like the runcam sparrow 2 pro, eagle 2 pro or foxeer predator v3.

Modern CMOS will be far superior to any older style CCD cams like the swift. You get better wide dynamic range, better light handling and better shadow penetration.
Thats great info, thanks. I'm still building something, so that info will be very helpful.
Furadi likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post

Thats great info, thanks. I'm still building something, so that info will be very helpful.
np!

I don't really know how people do FPV in surface vehicles but a great, cheap VTX is the HGLRC nano. Runs on 5v and the 50mw setting actually puts out about 100mw which in the air will get you a few miles of clear video.

https://thrust-uav.com/product/hglrc-gtx-nano-vtx-pack/