Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me. >

I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Byebye
  • 1 Post By xl-racing
  • 1 Post By Furadi
  • 1 Post By TIME MACHINE

I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.

Reply

Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM
  #1  
R/C Tech Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (65)
 
TIME MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 2,341
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Questions?? I want to build an FPV crawler. Dumb it down for me.




I am hoping to build an FPV crawler on the semi-cheap. Currently I have Eachine goggles and a small cheap camera that I stick on the hood of my truck. The picture quality is awful and I really want to get something nice and clear. My range is also terrible.

i want to cap this off around $500 or less. What should I buy? Are the goggles more important than the camera, or the other way around? How can I boost the range (I'm not worried about legality, this is all hypothetical....lol).

Thanks for helping out a dummy, I have no clue on these sort of things. I just don't want to overpay for goggles or a camera and not know what I'm doing.


TIME MACHINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:24 AM
  #2  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
Default

I don't have this setup so I'm just joining the conversation to see where it goes. How far are you trying to go? I have a set of Fatsharks and my spectrum setup can go pretty far though I've never ran the two together.

Kris
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Byebye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM
  #3  
R/C Tech Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (65)
 
TIME MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 2,341
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Byebye View Post
I don't have this setup so I'm just joining the conversation to see where it goes. How far are you trying to go? I have a set of Fatsharks and my spectrum setup can go pretty far though I've never ran the two together.

Kris
I am not trying to do anything crazy, just maybe a 200 yards would be awesome. Right now, after about 50 yards my setup is unusable.

My goal is to get some local FPV Rock crawling going around here locally. It would be far more challenging and something I could even do in my backyard to spice things up.
TIME MACHINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
slick2500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 1,000
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Following.
slick2500 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Speed Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mars sipping a pina colada
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I would recommend using a rotor riot edition runcam swift 2 that the one I use on my 250 size quad great cam for fpv
Speed Chaser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
xl-racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,097
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post

I am hoping to build an FPV crawler on the semi-cheap. Currently I have Eachine goggles and a small cheap camera that I stick on the hood of my truck. The picture quality is awful and I really want to get something nice and clear. My range is also terrible.

i want to cap this off around $500 or less. What should I buy? Are the goggles more important than the camera, or the other way around? How can I boost the range (I'm not worried about legality, this is all hypothetical....lol).

Thanks for helping out a dummy, I have no clue on these sort of things. I just don't want to overpay for goggles or a camera and not know what I'm doing.
With your budget around $500 you can get top notch FPV unit both on the driver and truck itself. But the number one thumb rule getting top FPV experience is getting the best quality FPV goggle you can get hand on such as FATSHARK, SKYZONE and other with individual LCD screen per-eye than box goggle so that you'll have sense of distance, incoming object and other little thing that comes towards you infront like climbing rocks, recognizing roots, ramps and etc on the ground. Invest the best FPV goggle you can get..that the first priority and its the only thing you spent just one time in pursuit for FPV happiness. Proper FPV goggle have removable video receiver module, camera headtracking gyro, DVR, proper diopter adjustment, venting fan, lightweight compact build and comfy to wear for hours FPV. Other stuff like camera, video transmitter and etc is secondary and you can go super cheap on these because what every performance it has on these hardware depends much what FPV goggle can perform. If you looked at my previous video, my friends who used 'boxed' FPV goggle always confused with distance and range from my truck and not able to follow behind my truck properly. I've tired out his box an i'm myself also disoriented. Pay much on the goggle, and you can pay less on camera and video transmitter.

Snapshots:

















Video:

TIME MACHINE likes this.
xl-racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM
  #7  
Tech Regular
 
Furadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 489
Default

Old thread but I thought I'd add some input. Best bang for the buck goggles are probably the Aomway Commander v1. For a camera you want a modern CMOS camera like the runcam sparrow 2 pro, eagle 2 pro or foxeer predator v3.

Modern CMOS will be far superior to any older style CCD cams like the swift. You get better wide dynamic range, better light handling and better shadow penetration.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Furadi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 PM
  #8  
R/C Tech Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (65)
 
TIME MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 2,341
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
Old thread but I thought I'd add some input. Best bang for the buck goggles are probably the Aomway Commander v1. For a camera you want a modern CMOS camera like the runcam sparrow 2 pro, eagle 2 pro or foxeer predator v3.

Modern CMOS will be far superior to any older style CCD cams like the swift. You get better wide dynamic range, better light handling and better shadow penetration.
Thats great info, thanks. I'm still building something, so that info will be very helpful.
Furadi likes this.
TIME MACHINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:20 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
 
Furadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 489
Default

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post


Thats great info, thanks. I'm still building something, so that info will be very helpful.
np!

I don't really know how people do FPV in surface vehicles but a great, cheap VTX is the HGLRC nano. Runs on 5v and the 50mw setting actually puts out about 100mw which in the air will get you a few miles of clear video.

https://thrust-uav.com/product/hglrc-gtx-nano-vtx-pack/
Furadi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service