Search

Budget crawler options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Budget crawler options

Hi everybody. The track I race at is closing so I’m looking to get into a different form of rc. I’ve decided to try crawling. I want something more on the scale side and was looking at the barrage and Everest 7. Are there any other options I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Carisma Coyote. Or one of the versions of it. Been very impressed with my small stuff from them. And been following their scaler truck since it was announced. Ther recently added a kit version. And in the last year there stuff has finally become more available in the States. Amain hobbies and Hobbytowm carry them now.

https://www.carismascaleadventure.com/coyote-rtr/

I haven’t yet crossed into the scaler/trail truck/crawler thing yet.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another good entry level crawler is the Redcat Gen 7 either the Sport ot Pro. The main thing to remember with the Gen 7's is that the ends points are not set from the factory. IF not set you will either burn up a servo or break a C-hub. I have the Gen 7 Pro and am very happy with it. I've tweaked it a bit, but you will probably need to do that with any of them. If you want some more info on the Gen 7 checkout Budget RC Youtube channel
Old 08-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I guess whats you budget, I had a few gen 7, and would lean more towards the axial 10.2 in different formats.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

i have the gen7 pro and so far the only things i have changed is the esc and motor dropped in a castle sidewinder i had sitting around and a 35t motor cuz i felt the stock motor was to fast for my liking. other than that ive done a few cosmetic upgrades like full led kit and light bar and a winch. it goes the same places my scx10 went when i had it. the next upgrade i plan on doing is getting pitbull rb II tires.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I honestly think I’d rather have a pure crawler instead of a trail truck. I was looking at the Everest 10 possibly. I’m sure I’ll spend more time crawling on my woodpile in my backyard. I can’t see myself actually driving trails.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hart21
I honestly think I’d rather have a pure crawler instead of a trail truck. I was looking at the Everest 10 possibly. I’m sure I’ll spend more time crawling on my woodpile in my backyard. I can’t see myself actually driving trails.
If that's the case also checkout the Rockslide, it MOA with 4 wheel steering. I have a Rockslide Super Crawler with is the 1/8 scale version and I like it. I also have the 1/24 versionn called Redcaat Sumo Crawler (not to be confused with the Redcat Sumo, not the same) The 1/24 I use inside on my indoor track I made of my Orlandoo's which are scale 1/36 scale.

The only issue I've had with my Rockslide Super Crawler was it blew a rear servo, which was replaced under warranty. Seems the servos are a week point in most of the Redcat line. So just figure on replacing them.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im mainly into racing, however I had an axial ax10 rtr about 10 years ago and it was cheap and fun. I just got an RC4WD Marlin rtr and it is very cool and scale. The electronics are adequate minus the battery, but if you have a smallish 2s lipo lying around you will be fine. Would i buy either one again? Yes, but for different reasons. I paid $250 for the ax and $450 for the Marlin, both new. I would not hesitate sending the ax through a creek or whatever. The Marlin on the other hand, while perfectly capable, is still too pretty and wont be used quite like that by me. YMMV