Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend my a crawler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Recommend my a crawler

Hello community. I'm thinking about getting into the crawling scene and need some recommendations on a good 1st truck. I'm not too concerned with the price tag, just want something good, maybe customizable, with not too many flaws. Kit or RTR, makes me no difference. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

well need to decide if you want a rock racer style or more of a scale style. I've have both a scx10 and a bomber. The bomber is more fun to me, but the scale aspect of the scx10 was fun to play around with.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Scx10.2 kit is a good platform to start with.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I don't think I want a scale truck. Maybe I have my terminalogy wrong. I'm not looking for a realistic "scale" truck but an exaggerated crawler. Long wheel base, crazy amount of articulation, maybe even front and rear steering. I would consider even going with a 6x6 if they are out there.

Some examples of trucks that im referring to are Exceed's Mad Torque and HPI's Crawler King. I know Exceed are more toy grade trucks so would like something a little more hobby grade.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

To much articulation can be a bad thing FYI.

I think you want a comp style of rig, most of those are purpose built for competition and custom. Try googling Comp Crawler Chassis to see examples. If not I would suggest a rock racer, one of axials with a solid axle design. Like a bomber or wraith.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like this is more for what you want
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, that video is what I'm talking about! I've watched some championship crawler videos on YouTube and those are cool as hell. Almost look like robots on wheels crawling over stuff. Very cool.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

So I've been doing a little research and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a rc4wd bully 2. Need advice on going kit or RTR. I know most RTR don't have the best components but I don't have any other components or knowledge of components to throw in a kit. The videos I saw didn't leave me with much confidence in regards to cogging. I'm not against buying separate components but not really sure where to start.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

If you want a kit any R/C you choose is going to have 6 basic components: Radio system, ESC, servo, motor, battery, and charger.

The radio system consists of a remote (transmitter) and receiver, a little box inside the car. They talk to each other so when you move the controller the car moves as well. My personal favorite is the Flysky FS-GT3b. It is $35 and is a complete bargain for that price. It has 10 model memory, digital trims, and a really big LCD screen that looks really nice.

The ESC (short for Electronic Speed Controller) is what regulates power from your battery to the motor (or motors as this vehicle requires 2), your servo, and your receiver. There are a couple ways to go about this for your vehicle. One way to go about this is to buy 2 ESC's, one for each motor, wire them in parallel to the battery using a Y harness, and use another Y harness to have both of them be controlled by 1 channel in the receiver. This would be the way to do if you think in the future you want to add a "dig", which allows you to control each axle's motor independently. The Bully 2 is a MOA crawler, short for Motor On Axle, so each axle has its own motor. Another way to go about this is to buy 1 ESC and splice power from each of the motor leads in the ESC to 2 terminals, so that way you can run 2 motors. This will simplify wiring but will not let you run a dig because there is only one ESC, and the ESC thinks it is only regulating power to 1 motor even though 2 are wired up.

A servo is a little black box that has a motor, a lot of gears, and a potentiometer. This is what will steer your vehicle, and if you want 4 wheel steering you will need 2 of them. The motor is what turns the output shaft spline left and right, and the gears provide torque increase and reduces speed. The potentiometer limits movement to 90 degrees in each direction, or 180 degrees total. This also detects what degree the spline is turned, so you can have digitally proportional control. This means if you turn the wheel 50% to the left, the wheels will only turn 50% of the way to the left, not full lock, which allows for very precise driving.

The motor (or motors in this vehicle) is the powerhouse. These what moves the vehicle forward and backwards. There are 2 different kinds of motors, brushed and brushless. Because you are getting a crawler I won't waste your time explaining the differences between the 2, I'll just cut to the chase and say go with 2 brushed motors. They are cheap, reliable, and you won't have to worry about cogging. The turn rating of a motor will give you an idea of how much torque the motor will produce; the higher the turn rating, the more torque it will make. However the higher the turn rating the lower the RPM of the motor at a given voltage. Go with 35 turn or 45 turn motors, and you should be good to go.

Batteries and chargers are kinda self explanatory. This is turning into a long post so if you would like an explanation of them I am happy to provide one as well as other members on RCTech, but I'm guessing that you can find information on the internet pretty easily. Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Haha Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear. I'm not new to RCs, I own a stampede 4x4 and a Tekno MT410. So I'm familiar with RC components, just not with the electronics specific to crawlers and more specifically than that, components for a Bully 2. I'm kinda torn between a GMADE R1 and the Bully 2, but leaning towards the Bully. I'm fine with buying a kit but need more specifics on electronics for a crawler. I do want the "dig" feature and maybe even 4ws. I guess I want some advice but maybe not as specific as some of the info in the respective threads. There is alot going on with customization on a crawler...