SP12M 1/12th Scale

Old 06-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

BullFrog why are you so offensive?

The difference between the 2.3 and 3mm was that it the thicker ones didn't brake so often. The difference was very big. With the 3 mm I broke it once in a while. With the 2.3mm I broke 3 arms on one evening!

I'm wondering if a bumper also helps against side impacts?
I'm also still waiting for those images of your bumper.

In my opinion Corally should find a decent fix for it but unfortunately they still thinking about it.......
Old 06-24-2003, 01:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

JANTLE have you ever compared the carbon-graphite arm with the epoxy (cheaper) version. If you do this you should see the difference because the epoxy arms are still wider around the hinge pin area.

If you want I can take some pictures later this week and explain the difference to you.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Peter- That's just the way I am.I'm not going to wait until the factory is going to fix something when I can do it myself.It was a cheap fix and I'm not busting as many front arms.Corally USA does have a picture of the bumper I made out of Kydex.If Jeff is at the nationals this weekend he to can take a picture of the bumper.As I've said before waiting for the factory sometimes can make you spend more money than you want to .I also know they are working on several ideas but mine saves me money for now.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree with Peter, if there is a known defect, please admit it. then try to fix it. It is not so much a money matter, as I know that this hobby will never be cheap, but more a confidence matter in the product. . Jeff Antle has been the most helpful person representing Corally USA ( Thanks Jeff). edit

Last edited by TimPotter; 07-04-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Spooky - I could answer some of your thoughts - it's probably got to go thru channels. Whether the front arms was 3mm or 2.3 they need a fix for the average joe racer. But considering they are in Holland it takes time.My temporary fix could be made out of fiberglass to take more of an impact. When I talked with a Corally person they were thinking about a different material for the front arms. I'm sure they are working on a real fix instead of my fix.In the mean time I'd make a bumper.By the way the new car parts make the car more American like.I've got some other ideas I'm going to work with after the nationals- Three shocks.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Spooky for the comment. I am doing my best to make sure that Corally Holland knows what you guys have to say. I have had conversations on this topic and I can say that the comments ARE being worked on. I would not call this situation a defect. The SP12M front end works alot better than the old G style so that is an improvement. The arms are more fragile since there is no top support to the king pin. The old front end had the camber bar to keep the top of the kingpin more rigid in an impact. With out the top support the kingpin acts a a lever and snaps the carbon fibre arms. I have been working on a way to support the kingpin to make the front end more rigid. This may or may not work. The factory is working on a method as well. It is some what easy to make a one off part by hand to try an idea but then it is a much longer process to make a mass production part. Then you have to test it. If a bumper helps the situation then I would say use one. Any protection to the front end of any car is a plus. Please give us some time to work thru these ideas further. What you guys say does matter!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Spooky and all,

We understand that you have many choices in cars to purchase. The drive behind Corally is to provide the racer with the most advanced car with the most advanced materials and workmanship. The Assassin shows just that!!! This car could have been released a long time ago. Many other manufactures would have released it and then hit you up for every upgrade as they find better ways. The Assassin proved itself in it's first big race, The Cleveland Indoor Champs. The competition is better there than most World events. Yet they kept working on it. Corally products have always been owner friendly and easy to use right out of the box. Parts fit and finish is second to none. When was the last time you had to use a Dremel on every other step of building a Corally car......Never!! We build cars for racers and that is it. You are the deciding factor in what we do. We will always listen and work on any issues that come up. The wishbone issue included. We did not add this forum for us not to keep in touch with our customers. We did it to keep in touch. I have not deleted a single post or banned anyone like other manufacturer forums nor will I. I want the good and the bad. Nobody gets better unless you are tested!!!!!

P.S. If you don't buy the Assissin you will finish behind everyone that has one! LOL
Old 06-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff- If your looking for a top support for the Arms - this idea was used by Bolink in the 90's. Instead of a full upper beam they and two short beams with a spacer the same height of the kingpin. ( one for each a-arm. We still broke front a-arms but not as many.We also had bumpers.I'm also trying something in the diff. If it works I'll let you know. I'm really not doing anything new -just recyling old technology that worked. After all I've been doing this for quite awhile.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

The "new" Corally 1/12th is the "NEW" ROAR Masters Stock Championship Chassis for 2003.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Corally arm modifications

I am not sure on 12M, but I have install a complete arm set from AE12L3 on the front end of G3. And it works great so far.
Sorry for the hybrid....but that lower my running cost with more tuning ability at the front end.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bumper Picture for 12M

Here is the picture of the bumper that Bullfrog made for his 12M. BTW a congrats goes out to him for winning the 1/12th scale masters National Title. He drove his 12M to victory sporting this handmade part. The 12M is now the vice National Stock Champion as well. There were 3 12M's in the A final in stock and 2 in the A final in Modified!!! Great Job Guys and keep up the great work!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails SP12M 1/12th Scale-bf-bumper2.jpg  
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

cool bumper, is it for sale anywhere
Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

No I made it out of an old kydex bumper and a dremel.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

@blacknight those pictures of the sp12m with a novak brushless look awesome ! is the car still controlable? it must be close to flying
Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Wider 12M?

We have noticed that the 12M car is not as wide as allowed by EFRA. We have been able to make wide front arms i really nice carbonfiber. (Both 2,4 and 3mm!)

The only part we lack to compleate the car is a rear axel that have the "non diff" side 4mm longer than original and some small spacers. A new axel would open many new possibillitys to setups with narrow front, wide front etc. Is this option possible to get made??

Best regards, Robert

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service