Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
I'm bugging out. What are the rest of you Floridians doing? >

I'm bugging out. What are the rest of you Floridians doing?

Like Tree24Likes

I'm bugging out. What are the rest of you Floridians doing?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Some good news. My new place in Naples that I was just starting to move into survived. Still no word on Mom's place right on the gulf in Marco Island.
Good to hear. Hope mom's place is ok. I see island and just cringe.

Pete, don't feed the trolls.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 363 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Good to hear. Hope mom's place is ok. I see island and just cringe.

Pete, don't feed the trolls.
Ok , I'll order us some pizza or do you want a salad ?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by peter george View Post
Ok , I'll order us some pizza or do you want a salad ?
DO I LOOK LIKE A RABBIT TO YOU????
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Just got power back last night around 10pm.. I wasn't expecting anything for 3 more days at the earliest. Thankfully we didn't get damage beyond some screen panels on the back porch. I guess the bad *ss daily storms we get weeded out most of the week trees in my yard. Had a couple in the drive way behind us that fell and blocked some people in. One was roughly 2 feet in diameter and pretty straight for an Oak. Odd it fell but oh well. A quarter mile west of me had 3 sections of wire snapped off and on the road.

Getting to town requires some slight detours. I use that term modestly.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I realize there is a certain attraction to living in certain areas of the country. but at what point do you weigh the risk vs. reward? New Orleans a few years ago, not common for them to get flooded but let's be real. You live below sea level and are depending on government funded structures to keep the water out. Whatcha think was gonna happen at some point Bright sunny California..Historically, if you live there long enough you WILL experience several earth quakes. One of which, again at some point in your lifetime, will be catastrophic and destroy everything you own. Th flooding in Texas, can't as common I guess, not gonna say you could see it coming. But in reality, you're in the Gulf of Mexico. The only thing, and it's not THAT big, keeping those giant water tornado's we call hurricanes from hitting you is FLORIDA!

People of Florida, specifically areas of Florida that are more heavily affected by hurricanes than the rest. Why do you people live there!!?? More so, why do you keep rebuilding your homes there!? History EASILY tells you that if you live in these areas for your entire natural born life you will likely experience 2, if not 3, CATASTROPHIC hurricanes that will destroy and wash away everything you own.

Here's the part where I get hate mail..While I'm sympathetic to those who've lost their lives in these recent events..The following is meant to be both somewhat funny and serious at the same time...

At what point do you wake up and realize that you should move your happy ass to Arizona!? How many houses do you need to lose to storms that are so big they give them a names!? Move!..to Arizona, or Utah, or New Mexico, or Idaho for all I care..Just MOVE!

"I'm too poor to move." Well you should have saved up $69 and put it aside for times like this so you could pack what you have left in a bag and get on a Greyhound to..Arizona, Uta...you get the point. If you were broke living in Florida and now have nothing left..Find bus fair and be broke living in Arizo...

Disaster relief funds, donations, charity drives..etc, NO! maybe people should wake up and realize...they just shouldn't live there! If you do decide to live there, don't ask me for money when mother nature decides to play 3 little pigs and blow your house down.

Flame on people, flame on
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The scenery, the people, the culture. All reason why people would live in florida. My reason is my family lives here. Other then that i would have moved. Btw 6 days without electricity to power the ac not fun at all. I will admit thoe i didnt take the hurricane as seriously as the rest of my family. While they where worry i was just relaxing driving my buggy around on the drive way, during breaks in the storm. So anyone worried maria may make a last minute turn and come for us.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 09-19-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
At what point do you wake up and realize that you should move your happy ass to Arizona!? How many houses do you need to lose to storms that are so big they give them a names!? Move!..to Arizona, or Utah, or New Mexico, or Idaho for all I care..Just MOVE!
For the most part: Can't raise cattle. Water is a premium out there. can't do much farming. flash floods (its on youtube so its gotta be true). Half a state is probably still radioactive. takes hours to get anywhere (flying included).
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Everyone up north in Florida stay safe you guys got a big one coming your way. Get the Ziplock bags and start putting your RC stuff into them.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Some music for people who deal with stormy weather:

Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 363 (100%+)

Yea bro stay safe , good luck
Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

On the basis that pretty much every building in japan is earthquake-proof, surely it can't be beyond the wit of mankind to engineer a hurricane-proof house?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
On the basis that pretty much every building in japan is earthquake-proof, surely it can't be beyond the wit of mankind to engineer a hurricane-proof house?
People don't like living in bunkers.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
Different type of situation, in an earthquake, for the most part, you only have to worry about movement in a hurricane you have to worry about wind, water, and other crap. It better to compare Japan typhoon problem which has them in the same boat as us. This is the attitude of most Floridians when a hurricane comes well the ones I know including myself, even the kids when they hear hurricane the first thought in their head is will my school close
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 10-11-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser View Post
Different type of situation, in an earthquake, for the most part, you only have to worry about movement in a hurricane you have to worry about wind, water, and other crap. It better to compare Japan typhoon problem which has them in the same boat as us. This is the attitude of most Floridians when a hurricane comes well the ones I know including myself, even the kids when they hear hurricane the first thought in their head is will my school close
Funny you mention typhoon. Story time.
2 sundays ago when I was still in Tokyo, my travelling buddy and I actually encountered a typhoon.
They simply suspended train services/stopped them earlier than usual, most of the the shops/offices closed earlier.(8pm) and told everyone to go home. We were making our way back to the hotel after a dinner of fugu, circa 9pm, the wind was hampering progress shall we say. The typhoon hit Tokyo approx. 1 am.
My buddy saw flying traffic cones. He decided to go back inside before he got hit by one.
Next morning, business as usual. No collapsed buildings, no downed power,etc. Granted, Tokyo didn't get the worst of it, but still, if the Japanese can do it I don't see why the Floridians can't. Also, I've just remembered Tokyo uses overhead power cables. Underground ones break during earthquakes.
Top meme btw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service