R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default WHAT is going ON???

I'm no Traxxas guy, but why has Towerhobbies dropped almost all of their Traxxas stocks? What is going on between them that could cause them to quit selling probably their biggest money-making products?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is a lawsuit between Traxxas and Hobbico.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Looks like Hobbico may be in trouble overall. Hope they shake this off.
kenyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
There is a lawsuit between Traxxas and Hobbico.
I didn't know anything about it so I did some googling. It looks like Traxxas has managed to secure patents for a bunch of things that have not only been common on RC cars for years but in the automotive industry for a century. Any decent patent lawyer should be able to shoot most of this down in moments. The couple quad copter ones might have some merit, I don't know enough about them to say.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 354 (100%+)

Wow very interesting , hope the judge orders Hobbico to restore all Durango models imidietly !! Lol
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter george View Post
Wow very interesting , hope the judge orders Hobbico to restore all Durango models imidietly !! Lol
Yea, all the Jörn and Gerd era stuff!

Traxxas is such a LameA**, I could argue the stole their suspension design from the Veteq, or HARM 1:5!!!!!

That style "Center point" Steering has been used in 1:8 On-road for years, albeit only with one servo.

I hope Traxxas gets shut down on this stuff, trying to steamroll the industry!

Was a fan of Traxxas when they made their cars out of white nylon composite.

Its a Hobby, I did not see Tamiya trying to sue every other manufacturer when TC was developing!

SMH
Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Once lawyers get involved, throw logic out the window.
the wrench likes this.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I didn't know anything about it so I did some googling. It looks like Traxxas has managed to secure patents for a bunch of things that have not only been common on RC cars for years but in the automotive industry for a century. Any decent patent lawyer should be able to shoot most of this down in moments. The couple quad copter ones might have some merit, I don't know enough about them to say.
It's not first time they taken a brand to court over patent infringement.

All the major brands have patents. Right or wrong it's part of the corporate world. To me it's just 2 multi million dollar companies fighting. Happens more often then public ever know. And with Traxxas being the brand that people seem to either love or hate. It brings out the worst in us in the hobby.

It's not first time. They won cases before against Vaterra and Hpi. Personally I would be more bothered if it was against a smaller company, like RPM, Kershaw Designs, VG Racing, and so on. Hobbico did around 150 million in sales last year.

While there been no official announcement of the split. I know a few that have received cancellation notices from Tower. Now with everything listed as closeout. Shouldn't be long before an official announcement is made.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have no problem with someone patenting a legitimate innovation, producing that innovation and then defending their patents. When you somehow manage to patent a coilover shock for RC model vehicles, then I have a problem. Their patent has already existed in the automotive world for a century. They didn't invent it. They simply managed to get someone to grant them a patent for using it in only a slightly different application. And they weren't even the first to do that, just the first to actually manage to get a patent on it.

This is like if I filed for a patent for overhead valves on RC model engines and then sued OS and Saito over it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I have no problem with someone patenting a legitimate innovation, producing that innovation and then defending their patents. When you somehow manage to patent a coilover shock for RC model vehicles, then I have a problem. Their patent has already existed in the automotive world for a century. They didn't invent it. They simply managed to get someone to grant them a patent for using it in only a slightly different application. And they weren't even the first to do that, just the first to actually manage to get a patent on it.

This is like if I filed for a patent for overhead valves on RC model engines and then sued OS and Saito over it.
Yes, looks suspiciously like the "...only doing it online..." patent cases that have been tied up in various courts for years. I'd like to view Traxxas as the people who saved many a shop with the Slash, not perhaps run of the mill patent trolls but time will tell.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Traxxas is going down the deep dark path that killed SmartParts in paintball. They started filing patents and suing everyone. Eventually led to the biggest name in paintball being a shell of itself.
RULE #1 HE WHO HAS THE LOWEST FEEDBACK SHIPS FIRST
RULE #2 ALWAYS FOLLOW RULE #1
2016 Child Truck Giveaway! Click here for details!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ters-here.html
Seether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

That's silly. When Volvo invented the 3-point seatbelt, they still let other car companies use the design because they knew it was safer than a 2-point.

A patent for coilover shocks in the RC world is ridiculous. What other suspension do you expect other car companies to use? Traxxas wasn't nearly the first to use them, right?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Are they going to sue Smartech for the Tmaxx clone, Magic Wheel???
Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seether View Post
Traxxas is going down the deep dark path that killed SmartParts in paintball. They started filing patents and suing everyone. Eventually led to the biggest name in paintball being a shell of itself.
It is the same thing with makerbot.
Speed Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #15

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
A patent for coilover shocks in the RC world is ridiculous. What other suspension do you expect other car companies to use? Traxxas wasn't nearly the first to use them, right?
I don't think Traxxas even existed when the first shocks of that type were used in RC...
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feud, fight, stock, tower hobbies, traxxas