R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default FIA ProCar

Am i the only one that thinks this category would have be an amazing series specially if it wasnt hinder by all the rules and regulations in modern day f1. Here is how a car in that series would have looked.

They would have been power by f1 power plants would have weighed about 1700 lbs and would have scream their way to 211 mph.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 07-17-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Speed Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Yeah I remember reading about that some years ago. Its a shame it never happened.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Here is a video showing the car in action.
https://youtu.be/DoQjy81qb2c
And some more photo of this awesome machine.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Tech Elite

blown diffuser whaaaat
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Be a heck of a sleeper on the street
belewis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
Be a heck of a sleeper on the street
Only if the people didnt hear the f1 engine😂😂
Old 07-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
blown diffuser whaaaat
Flat floor all the way back. Not much diffuser action at all. The exhaust might help with flow direction, or extraction of air from the wheel wells but I don't think they understood it well enough back then.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

While back I'd wondered if anyone had tried using an F1 motor in a bodied vehicle. Found out there was testing but never found out what cars looked like.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

In 94/95 Renault put a V10 in a mini van.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Here is a great video with alot of information on the
Renault Espace F1.
https://youtu.be/eaW_35KPDBY
And here is a track run of it.
https://youtu.be/wZ4X4l56Q1w
If you want info on the equipment used in the 164 procar
http://www.carsfromitaly.net/alfarom...164procar.html
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Perfect examples of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I'm not hating but let's be real, it was 1988. The highest HP true production car (that I could find) was a corvette z51 making a whopping 258hp and a zero to 60 time of, hold onto your neck, of 6 seconds.

What did they do besides put a shoe box sedan body and a mini van body on F1 running gear of the time? Even then 650hp? You can buy any number of cars with HP greater than that off the dealership floor today..

Again, I'm not hating on it. But it was 1988..that's almost 30 yrs ago..

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Perfect examples of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I'm not hating but let's be real, it was 1988. The highest HP true production car (that I could find) was a corvette z51 making a whopping 258hp and a zero to 60 time of, hold onto your neck, of 6 seconds.

What did they do besides put a shoe box sedan body and a mini van body on F1 running gear of the time? Even then 650hp? You can buy any number of cars with HP greater than that off the dealership floor today..

Again, I'm not hating on it. But it was 1988..that's almost 30 yrs ago..
It not just about power yea you can buy alot of car with that hp. But can they take a turn like this thing? Or can they brake as quick as this? I would bet anything thats hands down this van can take down most production cars today on a circuit track. The main idea behind it, if i remember right was to show what could be possible in a typical car with f1 technology implemented in them. For example take the dodge hellcat and a honda civic type r and race them in the Nürburgring. The more hp car does not win the more track tune car does.
Hellcat time is 7.51
Type r is 7:43.8
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I get what you're saying, and you're right, it's not all about HP. Not these days anyway. Cool videos and it's cool that anyone even did that back in 88', regardless of why.

I'm just saying that back then, impressive for sure. By today's standards of what a person can buy off the showroom floor, given enough money. Not overly impressive. That's just me

What are modern "super cars" turning for lap times at the ring? I'm guessing but I'll bet it's faster than the shoe box sedan or minivan in the vids..but we'll never know, they didn't run either of them there did they?

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Most supercar are still in the low to mid 7 minute marks. Hypercar like the p1 have Smashed the Nürburgring production car record down to the mid 6 minutes with a 6:43.2 record run. To me atleast the alfa is impressive with is power to weight ratio i believe it could probably do a sub 7 minute run time, Lamborghini prove that power wasnt just what was needed with their Lamborghini Huracán Performante runing 6:52 at the green hell(Nurburgring) asfar as the van goes i belive really low 7 minute runs are possible. Asfar as a real f1 doing a run. No one has attempted doing a full speed run on one, it is said to be too dangerous for f1 but their been talk of a possible run time of 5.20 to 5.40 maybe less. The all out record is a Porsche 956 with 6:11.13.
Rwd record is a Radical SR8LM with 6:48.28.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

The renault espace was just a technological masturbation. Renault going, "look what we can do". It was publicity, showing off their F1 efforts at the time. That car was never intended to race in a series or anything(that Im aware of). I think a bunch of their engineers got together and said "Wouldnt it be cool if....". They made a fantasy a reality, it was good publicity for F1 and renault, and fun was had.

The pro car if I remember right was an idea between the FIA and F1 to get more spectators. At the time during the late 80s/early 90s around the end of the turbo era, live spectators and tv viewership was in decline. And they thought if they started a series with F1 cars embodied in street cars it would garner more interest in the sport. They would have more spectators that would relate and watch as the cars being raced resembled the road cars they drove. Near the same speeds and performance as F1 but with the appearance of road cars everyone could relate to. F1 was/is kind of niche. This would have got more common people involved. I see it as being sort of a European version of nascar.

Unfortunately the idea didnt take off.

Edit to add. F1 cars are generally fragile and cant make too much contact. Especially with open wheels. With full car bodies they could rub fenders and slide around into each other a little more. The crowd would have enjoyed it.

Last edited by nitrous36; 07-20-2017 at 06:36 PM.