Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion >

Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion

Like Tree387Likes

Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion

Reply

Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 AM
  #991  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
skinned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: north indiana
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

well at least the #3 guy streak was broke...top 3 were asked if they liked the track and they all said yes no complaints...weird they were lapping guys so quick...even up to the top 10 I believe...prob because a lot of top guys are hurt....
skinned is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 AM
  #992  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (33)
 
cartix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

This is sick! suzuki-GXSR-1000cc---dirtstreetbike
https://shop.eng.stuntfreaksteam.org...dirtstreetbike
cartix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM
  #993  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
AJH387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 539
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Bummed about the JMart crash. The guy can't catch a break lately. But at least he wasn't seriously hurt. I think he was going in for surgery today.
AJH387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM
  #994  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

We skipped High Point in favor of riding at Field of Dreams in Jersey. What a mistake, my youngest son ends up wrecking at slow speed and broke his ankle. Thank goodness Alpine Stars have the ankle support riders need or little dude would have needed a halo for sure. Anyone near Delaware selling a crf150rb please let me know. This KLX140L is way too heavy for him to hustle on a track, although he primarily rides woods which is why I chose the 140. Been guilt ridden since the wreck and if you believe in karma, I had my cummins go south on me this past Sunday. Hows the song go??? When it rains it pours.....
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM
  #995  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
skinned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: north indiana
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

gonna be a hot one in southwick..and with webb and bogle coming back should make it a little more exciting..i got bogle winning a moto.webb maybe 5th or 6th
skinned is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:12 PM
  #996  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Watch for a local (Delaware) kid Cody Shock #319, he just started riding in the 450 class this year but he is picking it up fast. He won E-town last weekend on his 250 smoker and his 450. He finished 23 at High Point, watch this video, he goes down in the first corner....



Last edited by Digit09; 06-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 AM
  #997  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Anyone have some first hand knowledge about the 2019 KX450? Im looking for a new bike and that just went to the top of the list.
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:48 PM
  #998  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Interesting exchange between ET3 and MM25 in moto 1, mm25 sort of got a dose of karma and was lucky enough to come back for moto 2 where ET3 went down twice giving up any chance of a comeback. Still a good points day for ET3 but he cost himself a respectable streak. He'll need to put together another run like this season just to let others know he has the ability to slow himself down enough to stay away from the unpredictable edge of control.
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 AM
  #999  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
AJH387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 539
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
Anyone have some first hand knowledge about the 2019 KX450? Im looking for a new bike and that just went to the top of the list.
Sorry about your luck, recently.

As far as the new KX, it should be good. Basically looked at what they feel like KTM has an advantage at, and tried to replicate that (estart, hydro clutch, easy access airbox etc). It was already the lightest Japanese 450 (and will remain that) but it added like 2lbs because of the addition of estart and spring forks. But they shed weight in other areas. The suspension is supposed modeled after aftermarket 'A-kit' stuff. According to Keefer Testing, it still isn;t as good as the stock Yamaha stuff though. But I would have to imagine it is better than the TAC fork it replaces, which I was not a fan of. I think it would be a good bike. I still think the KTM will be a better bike, but nothing wrong with the new Kawi. I'm sure they can be had for less $ than a KTM, if that is a factor.
AJH387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:25 PM
  #1000  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AJH387 View Post
Sorry about your luck, recently.

As far as the new KX, it should be good. Basically looked at what they feel like KTM has an advantage at, and tried to replicate that (estart, hydro clutch, easy access airbox etc). It was already the lightest Japanese 450 (and will remain that) but it added like 2lbs because of the addition of estart and spring forks. But they shed weight in other areas. The suspension is supposed modeled after aftermarket 'A-kit' stuff. According to Keefer Testing, it still isn;t as good as the stock Yamaha stuff though. But I would have to imagine it is better than the TAC fork it replaces, which I was not a fan of. I think it would be a good bike. I still think the KTM will be a better bike, but nothing wrong with the new Kawi. I'm sure they can be had for less $ than a KTM, if that is a factor.
I was comparing the Yamaha and the Kawi for my next bike. Not in a hurry
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:03 PM
  #1001  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
skinned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: north indiana
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

if bogle can keep them holeshots with some added stamina...he'll be up in the mix
skinned is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM
  #1002  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
AJH387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 539
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
I was comparing the Yamaha and the Kawi for my next bike. Not in a hurry
Cool. Honestly those would be my top 2 choices also (add in the KTM/Husky too, obviously). I would lean towards the Yamaha just based on the reliability aspect. Also, you already know it is still going to have the best suspension on the market. I think the update in 18 was a big step in the right direction and the 19 was a nice tweak to smooth out some of the rough edges of the 18. A little better power delivery (mainly gearing), fixed the stupid seat foam from 18 etc. So that bike should be a can't lose. I'd maybe wait to see what some of the tests say about the KX and see which one fits your needs. But honestly either one should be really, really good. The new KX is exciting to me, but I'd have a hard time passing up the Yamaha just because of my familiarity with them and the reliability which is always top-notch.
AJH387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM
  #1003  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Digit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,253
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AJH387 View Post
Cool. Honestly those would be my top 2 choices also (add in the KTM/Husky too, obviously). I would lean towards the Yamaha just based on the reliability aspect. Also, you already know it is still going to have the best suspension on the market. I think the update in 18 was a big step in the right direction and the 19 was a nice tweak to smooth out some of the rough edges of the 18. A little better power delivery (mainly gearing), fixed the stupid seat foam from 18 etc. So that bike should be a can't lose. I'd maybe wait to see what some of the tests say about the KX and see which one fits your needs. But honestly either one should be really, really good. The new KX is exciting to me, but I'd have a hard time passing up the Yamaha just because of my familiarity with them and the reliability which is always top-notch.
My 13 year old wants to upgrade from a KX100 to either a 125 smoker or a 250F. His 250 choices are either the Yamaha or Kawi as well.I really liked the YZ125 we looked at last weekend. He is really doing all his research and finds a lot of issues with the KTM/Husky brands such as the recalls. So if I go green and buy the tuner then I would want to see him get a Kawi too just for the tuning aspect. I think the tuning is more robust on the Kawi but again I could be wrong. There is one decent review of the KX450 and they were critical of how much tweaking the suspension needed from one test rider to the next. But every review of the Yamaha raves about the suspension and gearing. Wouldn't it be great if money wasn't an object.
AJH387 likes this.
Digit09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:46 AM
  #1004  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
AJH387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 539
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
My 13 year old wants to upgrade from a KX100 to either a 125 smoker or a 250F. His 250 choices are either the Yamaha or Kawi as well.I really liked the YZ125 we looked at last weekend. He is really doing all his research and finds a lot of issues with the KTM/Husky brands such as the recalls. So if I go green and buy the tuner then I would want to see him get a Kawi too just for the tuning aspect. I think the tuning is more robust on the Kawi but again I could be wrong. There is one decent review of the KX450 and they were critical of how much tweaking the suspension needed from one test rider to the next. But every review of the Yamaha raves about the suspension and gearing. Wouldn't it be great if money wasn't an object.
Going up from a 100 I think he would be fine on a 250F. If he likes 2strokes, then obviously the 125s are good too. The Yamaha is nothing fancy but gets the job done. I had a few of the recent gen bike (05+) and they are pretty solid. The KTMs are fine. There really is nothing bad about them. The newest ones switched to a Mikuni carb (so did Husky) and they are hard to jet. Otherwise, good bikes. If you get a Kawi, there is not going to be a tuner on the '19 250F. It'll just be the swapping of the 3 coupler plugs. I don't think it accepts the ECU tuning tool, like the 450 has (maybe next year, as the 250F should be redesign for 2020). The '19 Yamaha 250F will be able to be tuned by the phone app. No tool needed. And the KTM/Husky 250Fs are great. I believe the main recall / issue you probably have seen from them was the slave cyl seal on the hydro clutch. That is more on the Huskys than the KTMs though (different brand is used). I've been keeping an eye on mine. So far so good. About $200 to fix, if it goes.
AJH387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 AM
  #1005  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
AJH387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 539
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Oh I forgot to add. We sold my GF's YZ85 and this year she started riding the 250F. It's been a pretty easy transition for her, aside from kickstarting it lol. So that is why I said, your son should be able to go from the 100 to the 250F if he chooses to. But 125 is also a good option.
AJH387 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service