Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion >

Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion

Like Tree526Likes

Pro Supercross / Motocross Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just remember AMA goes by your age on January 1st so your good for one more year and I understood what you were saying about racing vet class at age 50. Im saying if these other guys are doing it into their 60's and 70's then count me in!
Old 11-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Justin Cooper was back on the bike today. Hope he is ready for A1. We're getting close.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Isn't most Vet racing starting at 30? Most of the places I got to if they do Vet classes it's Vet C, B, A and it's just 30 up. Then sometimes, they break it up and offer Plus 40, Plus 50 etc. Everyone is different. Most places have good classes for older riders. Vet riders make up a good portion of the entries, usually.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Picked this up this past weekend for 2K. Ď19 KTM 250 SXF with 70 hours on it. I was told the top end was done and it ran fine for a while until it locked up. I pulled the timing plug and tried to turn the engine over counterclockwise with my breaker bar. All it did was loosen the bolt on the flywheel. I tried going clockwise and it tightened the bolt. But the engine also started rotating to a point and then stopped. I checked the battery voltage and it was about 1.5V. Not sure how long this thing was sitting for. Put a battery from my old Aprilia VDB sumo bike in it, and it cranked over until it got to that same point where it locks up. Iím going to pull the intake, exhaust, and plug to check the valves and combustion chamber with my borescope. If everything looks good, Iíll start pulling the engine covers.

Not sure if Iím going to keep it or not. The reviews state that itís a great bike. But I really want a 2T. Couldnít pass this deal up though.

Nice RM btw

Digit09 and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AJH387 View Post
Isn't most Vet racing starting at 30? Most of the places I got to if they do Vet classes it's Vet C, B, A and it's just 30 up. Then sometimes, they break it up and offer Plus 40, Plus 50 etc. Everyone is different. Most places have good classes for older riders. Vet riders make up a good portion of the entries, usually.
I think most Districts start at 30. I have seen the elderly classes incremented by ages of 10 year gaps. You know elderly, old, forgetful and so on.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post
Picked this up this past weekend for 2K. Ď19 KTM 250 SXF with 70 hours on it. I was told the top end was done and it ran fine for a while until it locked up. I pulled the timing plug and tried to turn the engine over counterclockwise with my breaker bar. All it did was loosen the bolt on the flywheel. I tried going clockwise and it tightened the bolt. But the engine also started rotating to a point and then stopped. I checked the battery voltage and it was about 1.5V. Not sure how long this thing was sitting for. Put a battery from my old Aprilia VDB sumo bike in it, and it cranked over until it got to that same point where it locks up. Iím going to pull the intake, exhaust, and plug to check the valves and combustion chamber with my borescope. If everything looks good, Iíll start pulling the engine covers.

Not sure if Iím going to keep it or not. The reviews state that itís a great bike. But I really want a 2T. Couldnít pass this deal up though.

Nice RM btw

RM is setup for enduro not MX. Sounds like you'll be rebuilding or replacing that head. Trade you the RM for the KTM.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
RM is setup for enduro not MX. Sounds like you'll be rebuilding or replacing that head. Trade you the RM for the KTM.
Yes, I see that. Still nice though. Maybe. Between our 7 year old getting my wife and I sick, and starting a bathroom renovation. I havenít had time to look at it yet. Sorry. Not interested in a trade. Not sure about where you are, but up here older 2Tís are hard to find. When you do find one, the asking price is high. Higher than Iíd pay anyway. Not sure if theyíre getting the asking price or not, but they donít stay listed long. If you have the stock tank for the RM, Iíd put it on and take all of the woods parts off, and then list it for sale.

I plan to at least try the KTM in the spring. Iíve never ridden one. If I donít like it, Iíll sell it and either get a 250SX or a YZ250.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

The RM is setup for racing he sandy enduros in New Jersey so I'm told. I didn't build it I'm just rebuilding the carb for a buddy and right now looks like I'll be buying it too. I don't know why, its not like I need it. I have all the parts o put it back to a MX bike but right now the enduro guys rally seem to have an interest in it for some reason. I think its the weight to power ratio??? Not sure but I'll have the carb done either tomorrow or Monday if things go good. That KTM will rip with just a little lovin. Its a great platform for sure. I'm not a fan of the WP air suspension though.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice RM btw

I'll put money on it being a valve hitting. I bet they put the timing chain on wrong, or the chain jumped a tooth. I bought a XR400 a while back due to the same thing. They said the engine froze, but it was just a valve hitting the piston. Got the bike for $500 and sold it a month later for $2500. I only put $200 into a new piston, and rings. The valve was still perfect. I only changed the piston and rings because I already had it apart, so why not.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

I think most Districts start at 30. I have seen the elderly classes incremented by ages of 10 year gaps. You know elderly, old, forgetful and so on.

It really does matter where you go and who's running it. At the track in Sacramento, it's 50. However, at a some other tracks around here, I hear it is 40.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

The RM is setup for racing he sandy enduros in New Jersey so I'm told. I didn't build it I'm just rebuilding the carb for a buddy and right now looks like I'll be buying it too. I don't know why, its not like I need it. I have all the parts o put it back to a MX bike but right now the enduro guys rally seem to have an interest in it for some reason. I think its the weight to power ratio??? Not sure but I'll have the carb done either tomorrow or Monday if things go good. That KTM will rip with just a little lovin. Its a great platform for sure. I'm not a fan of the WP air suspension though.
The guys could be interested in the RM due it being just easier to ride. I tried using my RMZ450 (now sold) in some fairly tight woods in NH, and the bike was just too much. Too heavy, too easy to stall, too much power for the slick (wet rock and mud) conditions. The wrong tires, gearing, suspension setup for mx, and me being rusty didnít help either though haha. I was missing my Ď96 YZ250 that I bought new, was setup for mx, but was way easier to ride in the woods. Its funny that you mentioned the air forks, because these arenít the stock Ď19 forks. I noticed the caps on the forks werenít black, but silver. While reading a MXA test on a Ď20 SXF 350, I noticed that they mentioned that the bleeders were changed on the new Xact forks. Which are the forks on this bike. The only thing Iíve ridden with air forks are mountain bikes.

I was finally able to start tearing the bike down. When I removed the air filter, I found some cast metal pieces in the airboot back by the sealing surface of air filter. My first thought was intake valve guide, but why would it be back by the air filter? Used my borescope to look down the intake. Yup. Left intake valve guide. Iím surprised it made it past the throttle plate. Unless it wide open when it happened. I wonder if there was a massive backfire or if the pressure of a bent valve forced it back to the air cleaner. I need to remove the engine and start by checking timing to figure out what the cause was. I couldnít look at the top of the piston with my borescope. This thing has the smallest spark plug threads Iíve seen on a bike engine. I didnít measure, but looked to be 8mm or 10mm. The same diameter as the cable/camera on my borescope.

Last edited by xenon55; 12-02-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Hopefully it's just needs a new valve, valve guide, and maybe a piston. I guess you'll find out about the cylinder as soon as you pop off the top.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, but depending on what the combustion chamber looks like, Iíll probably have all of the guides, seats, and valves replaced. Peace of mind for myself.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

KTM's Rene Hofer just died. He got caught in an avalanche while snow skiing.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Yeah, but depending on what the combustion chamber looks like, Iíll probably have all of the guides, seats, and valves replaced. Peace of mind for myself.
Sounds like a lot of work, you sure you don't want to trade that for a wonderful 2006 RM? Absolute unit, never beaten and only driven to church.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.