Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
For you married folk >

For you married folk

For you married folk

Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default For you married folk

How is your RC hobby going after getting married or been married? Is your spouse a fan, indifferent, or against?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i went 8 years without touching an rc car, luckily my daughter took an interest and the wife let me dive right back in.
my wife will pit, marshal or rd if need be, shes awesome like that.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

It all depends on the wife/husband dynamic. For some this can be an expensive hobby and that will cause tension with your spouse, for others it is all the time spent on the hobby working on and racing the rc car and others yet it is the time and money spent that will cause issues. I am lucky enough that my wife is pretty chill (plus she has her own hobbies)and let's me come and go as I please so going to the track every once in a while ain't no big deal, but I also realize that this is not the case in many relationships. My wife is all for me having a hobby. Bottom line is that it all depends on the wife, if she ain't cool with the hobby then you ain't gonna be cool with it, who do you love more, your wife or your hobby?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

My wife knew about my disease before going into the marriage. Never have had any issues over the R/C. Now both of my daughters race so it is three against one. Racing is like being a family member. Happy trails!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

mine is all for it. she went out and picked up a used tmaxx from the lhs i was looking at and supprised me with it. she has 2 of her own 1 is a original lunch box and the other is a original ff-01. her dad has a original blizzard still in the box and her brother has a super rs4 and had a old falcon, kyosho big brute and tamiya nissan hi lux which i now have all 3 chassis for
Old 08-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

You tell 'em Mike. That's what I'm talking about. Life is good, isn't it?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

my wife aND I where going to marriage counseling. And she found out how much I spent. That was a hard part in life. But we got threw it. It took some time but I persisted. Lol she still doesn't like it but let's me go and do some races. I don't spend a huge amount any more.so In the the end I love all rcing and the wife is ok with it
Old 08-31-2016, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I gave up mx and knee dragging when my became prego with number 2. RC racing cost more than I ever spent racing mx. All of sons are into mx and RC racing so she has more than accepted it. Hell last week she got into archery with me and now wants to shoot the winter league at our local archery shop. If you have a strong marriage and just let your other half know how you feel about them, no hobby should ever be an issue. If it is an issue the problem doesn't start with the hobby, your doing something wrong in your relationship like putting your hobby first.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oivaf1 View Post
It all depends on the wife/husband dynamic. For some this can be an expensive hobby and that will cause tension with your spouse, for others it is all the time spent on the hobby working on and racing the rc car and others yet it is the time and money spent that will cause issues. I am lucky enough that my wife is pretty chill (plus she has her own hobbies)and let's me come and go as I please so going to the track every once in a while ain't no big deal, but I also realize that this is not the case in many relationships. My wife is all for me having a hobby. Bottom line is that it all depends on the wife, if she ain't cool with the hobby then you ain't gonna be cool with it, who do you love more, your wife or your hobby?
I have to agree with "it all depends on the wife". I have been into rc sense the "grasshopper and frog" days, maybe before that, still have one of the first 1/8 nitro buggy's ever made. Got into racing later on and never looked back, until I got married the first time in 1993. It all came to a QUICK stop. She wanted no parts of it, to much money and time spent. As soon as I departed from her year 2000 I got back to racing full tilt. Got married again to a "KEEPER", bought her a Slash and she was hooked. After that bought her a well taken care of, Losi 8t 2.0 and she became "POSSESSED" LOL. Could not fill the tank fast enough for her, she drove the wheels of that truggy. Just built her a new 3.0t late spring but haven't had the chance to race this year with our work and the weather, but like to get at least 1 race in this year.
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WIFE
Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Not2worried

Is my wife a fan, meh. But it's something I do with my kids and she knows it's important to do stuff as a family.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

before we got married my wife and i lived together. she complain
every once in a awhile. well one day i opened her car trunk she had
$400 worth of stuff she was hidding. we are married now and both have are own
checking/savings accounts so as long as bills are paid first no big deal.

guys check your wife's car truck every once in awhile, you will be surprised!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
checking/savings accounts so as long as bills are paid first no big deal.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My wife loves RC, and actually raced with me for a number of years before kids. She still loves that i spend money and time on RC, as well as competitive shooting, which is FAR more expensive than RC.

Pick a wife that will love to live your life WITH you, not control it. That being said, you need to be responsible and live with the family's means as well. Find that balance and you will have an awesome life.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 09-29-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My wife couldn't care less about anything rc related!
She will humour me when I ramble about this or that rc thing.
She's happy that I'm happy but that's about it!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
checking/savings accounts
so as long as bills are paid first no big deal.

Number 1 thing we did was a joint account. If either one of us were marrying the other one for money then we both lost. Why create all the extra work of splitting up bills and trying to figure out what amount is "fair" depending on how much you make compared to your spouse. If your spouse isn't trust worthy with money, don't get married. Leave while you can. I dont mean you specifically, I mean who ever finds themselves in that situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service