Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Traxxas acquiring all or part of HPI ?!?! >

Traxxas acquiring all or part of HPI ?!?!

Traxxas acquiring all or part of HPI ?!?!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Can you imagine the traxxas 18 wheeler pulling up at the track for racing... IF they take the HB racing program and use their money and marketing to further it. It will be good for HB.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway View Post
IF they take the HB racing program and use their money and marketing to further it. It will be good for HB.
+1
Old 03-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

What is the HB / HPI story? Two companies became one?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post
What is the HB / HPI story? Two companies became one?
Yeah pretty much. HPI bought HB years ago when they were basicallly just making racing accessories. Eventually HB became HPI's racing brand with 1/8 off road kits.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hot hodies was still its own entity when the lightning buggy and lightning stadium were released, they still had ty before hpi. he made his big spash by making the a at the nitro challenge in 04 or 05 running the hot bodies truck. hot bodies was picked up midway through the rtr nitro mt boom of the mid 2000s.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Hey! Looks like the original HPI vehicles are gonna skyrocket in value once they go extinct or traxxas puts their spin on things. They may very well be vintage!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

This might be a really good thing. One major issue HPI has had over the years is parts availability. Sure, you can get parts for the most popular and newer vehicles. But what about an older model vehicle from 10 years ago? I've never had an issue getting Traxxas parts or upgrading said older vehicle to newer model standards. HPI, no such luck.

A Great example is my Nitro Rush. I bought this truck back in 2001 or 2002 slightly used and even then I had a hard time getting parts for it when it broke. It is a project currently, but even when it's done I likely will never really drive it. Why? I can't even find spur gears for it anymore. Got a Traxxas Nitro Rustler from 1999 with a Pro .15 on it? No problems, go to the LHS and get your needed parts. None in stock? Tower Hobbies or Amazon, done.

They both make great vehicles and I love the Savage trucks, but HPI needed to change the way they were doing things with their parts supply years ago. I think that was always their major problem getting customers to stick with them. I've seen it many times, a Traxxas recommended over an HPI simply due to the way HPI handles parts supply and older vehicles.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxximize View Post
This might be a really good thing. One major issue HPI has had over the years is parts availability. Sure, you can get parts for the most popular and newer vehicles. But what about an older model vehicle from 10 years ago? I've never had an issue getting Traxxas parts or upgrading said older vehicle to newer model standards. HPI, no such luck.

A Great example is my Nitro Rush. I bought this truck back in 2001 or 2002 slightly used and even then I had a hard time getting parts for it when it broke. It is a project currently, but even when it's done I likely will never really drive it. Why? I can't even find spur gears for it anymore. Got a Traxxas Nitro Rustler from 1999 with a Pro .15 on it? No problems, go to the LHS and get your needed parts. None in stock? Tower Hobbies or Amazon, done.

They both make great vehicles and I love the Savage trucks, but HPI needed to change the way they were doing things with their parts supply years ago. I think that was always their major problem getting customers to stick with them. I've seen it many times, a Traxxas recommended over an HPI simply due to the way HPI handles parts supply and older vehicles.

Had a nitro Rustler form 1999 when you were a kid and want a new one? You can still go to your LHS and buy one. The plastics might be grey now rather than black.

Traxxas hasn't made that many new things ether...

Only time will tell weather or not this is a good thing.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 AM
Tech Initiate

If this is true then it will be the end for HPI vehicles most likely.
From Traxxas point of view it would be a smart move to buy one of their main competitors at a bargain price (since said competitor has financial problems) and then shut it down.

Think about it, Traxxas is all about keeping a small number of different simple vehicle platforms and making as many RTRs based on them as they can. Cheap to make and profitable to sell (specially with their inflated prices). HPI rc cars are much more complex, tougher, better quality, more metal parts etc. and yet they have similar or better prices than Traxxas. Seems like a logical move to take out a higher quality competitor to continue selling their plastic toys for hobby-grade prices.

Might have to buy some Savage rollers fast for spare parts
Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe.. just maybe, we will see a Blitz 4x4
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro2002 View Post
If this is true then it will be the end for HPI vehicles most likely.
From Traxxas point of view it would be a smart move to buy one of their main competitors at a bargain price (since said competitor has financial problems) and then shut it down.

Think about it, Traxxas is all about keeping a small number of different simple vehicle platforms and making as many RTRs based on them as they can. Cheap to make and profitable to sell (specially with their inflated prices). HPI rc cars are much more complex, tougher, better quality, more metal parts etc. and yet they have similar or better prices than Traxxas. Seems like a logical move to take out a higher quality competitor to continue selling their plastic toys for hobby-grade prices.

Might have to buy some Savage rollers fast for spare parts
Maybe not. They could retool some of the more popular vehicles and re-brand them Traxxas. It doesn't make sense to shut down the entire line, too expensive.

Traxxas figured out there's a whole lot more money to be made in the RTR market than there is in the race kit market. They appeal to the impulse buyer, and that's where the profit is. Look at all the coverage they get with the NHRA. When was the last time you saw an RC company banner at a non-RC event?

Oh, and all of you looking down your nose at Traxxas, trust me, they're not worried about you.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

has any of this been confirmed ? I'm really looking forward to putting on of those grey plastic chassis on my D413
Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Had a nitro Rustler form 1999 when you were a kid and want a new one? You can still go to your LHS and buy one. The plastics might be grey now rather than black.

Traxxas hasn't made that many new things ether...

Only time will tell weather or not this is a good thing.
Very, very true Kind of one of the things I like about owning Traxxas trucks, buy one and keep it running forever because they'll never discontinue it fully. I think the Nitro Sport is an old Nitro Rustler with a different name.

If this is true, it would be cool for HPI to have the support of Traxxas but for their vehicles to stay the same, a premium subsidiary basically. I would never want a Savage that's built like a Maxx truck.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

HB Pink edition ? ?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by underway View Post
Can you imagine the traxxas 18 wheeler pulling up at the track for racing... IF they take the HB racing program and use their money and marketing to further it. It will be good for HB.
I could see this happening! If Traxxas looks at the life cycle of their customers, they may find that several "outgrow" ready to run vehicles when it's time to race. Adding hop-ups to a truck isn't the same as having a race level truck.

Having a "Traxxas Pro" devision, which is really re-branded Hotbodies/HPI, could be used for this. A direct competitor to Team Durango and similar companies, not quite X-Ray level.

Get good drivers, lots of press, marketing, and they could keep customers who race and build kits. Have a parts network that means folks aren't worried about being able to keep their stuff going. Guarantee that electronics are going work in cars.

Now this could of course squeeze some folks out of the market......

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service