Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Are they toy cars or miniature race cars? >

Are they toy cars or miniature race cars?

Are they toy cars or miniature race cars?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)
Default Are they toy cars or miniature race cars?

Lets have a fun thread.

Are they toy cars?

Or

Are they miniature race cars?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt42fan View Post
Lets have a fun thread.

Are they toy cars?

Or

This is really not a fun subject. In the past this has been beat to death and if fist were able to cross the internet there would have been several knock down drag out fights. There actually were verbally
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ill keep it lite... on one side...i like to think my cars are for affordable, semi serious grass roots race cars, but my other side still thinks about how cool the miniature tires and shocks are

i guess views come down to what type of person you are... are you a modeler? a tech nerd? a tinkerer? someone who races something full sized? or just a person with lots of disposable income...

i say there presented as both, only due to the marketing of our hobby... they all do the same thing, they drive on the ground while you watch from a safe distance
Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I get this question all the time... "How can you spend that much money on a toy car?" For me, it not just a "toy car."

My reply, and I have 2,

1. It keeps me from coming in and shooting up the office! ( you need to know where and who I work with to understand this, and no, Im not a Postman)

2. How can you spend (insert absurd amount of money) on a ( enter something related to their hobby/ interests).

One guy I work with is big into billiards. He has a $1300 Break Stick! $1300 for a F'ing wood stick!!! And he cant grasp spending $500 on a new car!

This is the hobby I love and something I do to have fun, relieve stress and spend time with my kids. 2 of the 3 are teenagers and will not be in the house much longer. So the time we spend together racing and wrenching, really is enjoyable to me. I can sit down with them and use racing and setting the car up to associate their home work problems. It also helps with teaching them lessons about life. How working hard, practice and being prepared can benefit you. And the "everybody is a winner" mentality that goes on in a lot of kids sports does nothing but hurt kids more than it helps. Sorry, but not everyone can be the winner. That's what makes it so much more when you do win

Its also the only type of racing I can afford and still be competitive. Ran dirt modifieds for 2 years. Damn near lost everything trying just to have fun. ended up being more stress and headaches than fun...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
I get this question all the time... "How can you spend that much money on a toy car?" For me, it not just a "toy car."

My reply, and I have 2,

1. It keeps me from coming in and shooting up the office! ( you need to know where and who I work with to understand this, and no, Im not a Postman)

2. How can you spend (insert absurd amount of money) on a ( enter something related to their hobby/ interests).

One guy I work with is big into billiards. He has a $1300 Break Stick! $1300 for a F'ing wood stick!!! And he cant grasp spending $500 on a new car!

This is the hobby I love and something I do to have fun, relieve stress and spend time with my kids. 2 of the 3 are teenagers and will not be in the house much longer. So the time we spend together racing and wrenching, really is enjoyable to me. I can sit down with them and use racing and setting the car up to associate their home work problems. It also helps with teaching them lessons about life. How working hard, practice and being prepared can benefit you. And the "everybody is a winner" mentality that goes on in a lot of kids sports does nothing but hurt kids more than it helps. Sorry, but not everyone can be the winner. That's what makes it so much more when you do win

Its also the only type of racing I can afford and still be competitive. Ran dirt modifieds for 2 years. Damn near lost everything trying just to have fun. ended up being more stress and headaches than fun...
+1... people dont understand because they wont step back and compare someones joy to something they do... if 1500 hundered dollar pool cues makes that dude a better player and have a sense of feel, more power to him!... same as someone buying the latest kit... but forbid that guy from looking at it from the other side... toy to some, race car to others, "hobby" to most... better than playing video games...but you could say adults take video games as a more serious hobby than r/c... it goes sooo many ways..

man, if it wasnt for a christmas present when i was 8, i might of never found my talents and interests in life... thanks mom!... r/c taught me more about engineering and mechanicals than any school would dare...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Miniature race cars. Look at the expense. And who knew about droop before RC, not me? These little things are so sophisticated now I just run stock set-ups and work from there. I couldn't tell you how I want to car feel let alone set-up. They really are a challenge for some of us.

I say race car.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

These ARE toys..... with the ability to be taken into the next level that's considered as miniature racing cars!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are they mini race cars or toys? They are both. Who cares? It's not like we do this as an investment.

I guess that for the money I could have taken up binge drinking or something, but I think I chose wisely.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

With all the technology involved, these are definitely race cars. Consider how deep we go into geometry, physics, chemistry, electricity and aerodynamics. I will never forget a conversation I had with 2 other racers about the effects of camber gain, and we were talking about Tamiya Mini's!

I am a believer in the phrase "racing toy cars for bowling trophies" because it's about the attitude you bring to the track, not about the cars themselves. As much work as we put into this, we only do this for fun. None of us are ever going to get a million dollar contract to drive a scale race car. Part of the fun is the adrenaline rush we get from the competition, but we need to remember when things go wrong to step back and breathe.

So sit back, relax, break out those old textbooks, and have fun!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I must say, there's not much room for argument here. I agree with most of every thing said above.
There's the guy in the bar,"I must of spent over $100. last night. Wow, I feel like crap."
I've crashed cars and burnt motors and it was expensive, but for the most part, I had fun, and didn't feel sick.
As much for, "toy or race car?" It's a hobby. You put into it, what you want, and when you want, and it is, for the most part very gratifying.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Some people collect high dollar autos as "toys". It's all relative, I have a few "toys" which many people would not consider using that term to describe them.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I'll keep it simple. Toy cars cost under $50.....
Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt42fan View Post
Lets have a fun thread.

Are they toy cars?

Or

Both. these aren't mutually exclusive terms.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Both. these aren't mutually exclusive terms.
I'll second that, the answer to the original question is....yes.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:38 AM
Tech Champion

I say both.....

Most RTR cars are toys. First of all they are ment to be as toys for the large comunity and are not develloped as a racecar.

Most toplevel RC cars are realy miniture race cars. They are designed with the help of suspension software/emulators and are tested on the track in several stages to find the best geometry. These cars do always come with more advanced setup options like caster, rollcenter and ackermann what you rearly see on most RTR cars. Also these cars are runned by sponsored drivers on official races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.