FAA reqires registration of most RC aircraft >

FAA reqires registration of most RC aircraft

FAA reqires registration of most RC aircraft

Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default FAA reqires registration of most RC aircraft

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...9856&cid=TW378

I would like to personally thank all of the people with no common sense for getting the government involved in our hobby.

We made something idiot proof, they made a better idiot...
Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Good.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

so do planes fall into the same category as drones?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
so do planes fall into the same category as drones?
Yes. That's what I'm reading. Check the link above. Seems to me that modelers been flying for a lot of years with minimal problems. Now comes the drones. Did these things attract a different type of human been or what? I can hardly wait to see what kind of confusion this is going to cause the F.F.A .
Old 12-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
Yes. That's what I'm reading. Check the link above. Seems to me that modelers been flying for a lot of years with minimal problems. Now comes the drones. Did these things attract a different type of human been or what? I can hardly wait to see what kind of confusion this is going to cause the F.F.A .
Actually, I don't think it was the drones themselves that created the problem, it was the FPV cameras they can carry that really set things off, because that made it possible for an operator to fly one well beyond their line of sight(& that's when they can get into trouble with full scale aircraft). Once that happened, it was only a matter of time before the "idiots" took notice & started causing trouble. And until EVERYONE who owns them can exercise the proper restraint, I don't see that the government has any other choice. It is a shame, but the danger is far too great.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Actually, I don't think it was the drones themselves that created the problem, it was the FPV cameras they can carry that really set things off, because that made it possible for an operator to fly one well beyond their line of sight(& that's when they can get into trouble with full scale aircraft). Once that happened, it was only a matter of time before the "idiots" took notice & started causing trouble. And until EVERYONE who owns them can exercise the proper restraint, I don't see that the government has any other choice. It is a shame, but the danger is far too great.
Yes, over here in Holland they are also working on such a rule.
As a moderator on a Dutch RC forum I can tell you people do not want to hear about the rules to fly FPV. They use illegal frequencies, high power video transmitters, fly on places where it is not allowed and if you tell them that it is wrong then they do get angry and only say that it is safe to do it.
I have seen more countries making such a law so yes, I agree that those stubbern people have done it.....
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

gotta wonder if amazon has anything to do with it one way or another.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
gotta wonder if amazon has anything to do with it one way or another.
No - because that'd fall under commercial use. This is about personal and hobby use. Tons of idiots thought they'd be the next Amelia Airheart and fly their Quad into airports and other crazy places and cause havoc. They got what was coming to them.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I wonder if the FAA/government officials have taken into account how quickly these things change hands. What if you want to sell your drone/plane? Do you need to unregistered and make sure the new owner is registered?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
^^^^ This. With RC planes you lost sight of the thing before you could really get in the way of manned aircraft. With FPV, it's theoretically possible to fly these things in Class A airspace.

If you read the .pdf posted here, the FAA wrote about a number of incursions with manned aircraft including events with firefighting and Class B airspace. http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...-225367-1.html

Moreover, until 10 years or so ago, the planes were large enough that almost everyone flew them at AMA clubs. Then the electric "park fliers" started to come out and people stared using them away from clubs: at their houses, at local parks, etc. These areas are generally less regulated and more likely to have unsuspecting bystanders.

Still, those required some amount of skill from the pilot to prevent turning the aircraft back into a pile of sticks. Today's modern "drones" are frequently quadcopters that require absolutely no skill. Anybody can now effortlessly fly an unmanned aircraft, which has increased the appeal to the masses. Couple that with capabilities to fly beyond line-of-sight and you're just asking for issues.

So yes, to answer 1spunspur, yes these have attracted a different type of human being.

Note the above are the opinion of someone that was involved in RC aircraft a decade ago and has since then been involved in full-scale flight. I like both activities, but both need to be regulated in order to be safe.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
I wonder if the FAA/government officials have taken into account how quickly these things change hands. What if you want to sell your drone/plane? Do you need to unregistered and make sure the new owner is registered?
The registration# is per operator, not craft. You can have 1 or 100 with the same number on them. Selling them would just require you to remove your id# off the craft.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

But don't worry, they'll still come to you because you were the last guy to actually follow through and register so you'll be on the hook until you can prove otherwise. So document the sale extremely well.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
But don't worry, they'll still come to you because you were the last guy to actually follow through and register so you'll be on the hook until you can prove otherwise. So document the sale extremely well.
The registration number can be attached to the craft with a simple label, like the type from a label machine. When it comes time to sell it, you tear off the label and that's it.

It's up to the new owner to affix the registration number. The seller shouldn't have any worries.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

That only applys to 'model aircraft' use. Commercial uses have 1 number per aircraft.

I would hope a $27,000 fine would make people think otherwise. FAA does not screw around.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post
The registration number can be attached to the craft with a simple label, like the type from a label machine. When it comes time to sell it, you tear off the label and that's it.

It's up to the new owner to affix the registration number. The seller shouldn't have any worries.
They also say log into the system and update your information when you sell it. You cannot sign in just yet so I can't see what other info they require as far as identifying your drone.

But I am pretty sure they will be holding on to past information and they will still be coming to you to find out who you sold to when somebody else does something "stupid" with it. So when some very clean cut guys in black/deep navy blue suits or a tactical ops teams come knocking at your door, it's probably best to answer it with a gnarly case of bed head, in some stained underwear and a bag of doritos. They just might go easy on you instead of interrogating you off-shore.