Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
I'm in trouble...  my dog can open his kennel by himself.... >

I'm in trouble... my dog can open his kennel by himself....

I'm in trouble... my dog can open his kennel by himself....

Reply

Old 09-22-2015, 06:32 AM
  #1  
RCTech Member #2
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I'm in trouble... my dog can open his kennel by himself....

Welp,

My dog can open his kennel on his own from the outside. He's actually greeted me at the door once - so it's only a matter of time before he figures out how to do it consistently from the inside.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:56 AM
  #2  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (252)
 
hotrod87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kalispell Mt
Posts: 11,090
Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)
Default

Oh that's funny. They are smarter than most give credit for. Our Rottweiler couldn't stand my sister putting her in the kennel when she dogsat. She had a nice yard and Zoe would constantly climb up and over the 6ft fence so she could play in it..
hotrod87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM
  #3  
RCTech Member #2
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hotrod87 View Post
Oh that's funny. They are smarter than most give credit for. Our Rottweiler couldn't stand my sister putting her in the kennel when she dogsat. She had a nice yard and Zoe would constantly climb up and over the 6ft fence so she could play in it..
They sure are smart!

That's crazy with a 6ft fence!
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:20 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (79)
 
F. Mendoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,264
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

You weren't suppose to teach that. Now it's going to tell other dogs how to get out of kennels and they will take over the planet...ahhh!


Oh wait, that's a bit dramatic. Good job Troy.
F. Mendoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Plymouth, WI
Posts: 27
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I have a lab and the same brand kennel. The kennel has two latches. He figured out how to unlatch the bottom latch and he would squeeze himself out of the bottom corner. I put a carabiner on that latch. That worked for about a week. Came home one day and his face was swollen like he was stung by a bee. Upon further inspection, his face, ears and paws were pretty beat up from trying to get out. Had to take him to the vet. They are too smart for their own good sometimes!
craiggemt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:10 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
R1Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,184
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Reminds me of my Boxer. He worked out how to open two gates and get out the front of the house when he was a puppy.
R1Joel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 AM
  #7  
RCTech Member #2
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F. Mendoza View Post
You weren't suppose to teach that. Now it's going to tell other dogs how to get out of kennels and they will take over the planet...ahhh!


Oh wait, that's a bit dramatic. Good job Troy.
lol...yes, a little dramatic.

Originally Posted by craiggemt View Post
I have a lab and the same brand kennel. The kennel has two latches. He figured out how to unlatch the bottom latch and he would squeeze himself out of the bottom corner. I put a carabiner on that latch. That worked for about a week. Came home one day and his face was swollen like he was stung by a bee. Upon further inspection, his face, ears and paws were pretty beat up from trying to get out. Had to take him to the vet. They are too smart for their own good sometimes!
I have a German Shorthaired Pointer that has the larger kennel with two latches. My Bichon tries to open his door to let him out too.

Ouch on your dog though... sometimes they sure are determined!

Originally Posted by R1Joel View Post
Reminds me of my Boxer. He worked out how to open two gates and get out the front of the house when he was a puppy.
lol
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:03 AM
  #8  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,080
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

It's a Poodle, that's your wife's dog Troy, not yours.

YOUR dog is the one who chases the hose for a drink. Your WIFE'S dog is the one who opens doors for treats.

Dang wives, always "one upping" us.

Stick with the water drinker, cooler dog
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
longuylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 369
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

On the other hand, my chihuahua can't figure out how to get out of his cage if the door is closed but not latched. My mini pinscher once got herself stuck in the bathroom by going in and then pushing the door closed.

What other things do smart dogs do?
longuylander is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:12 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

We have a Cavapoo that's not too big, so she'd sit by the spot where her dog treats were waiting for one of us to get her on,
Well My Wife got a Labradoodle now that is able to jump up and get those treats.
needless to say the Cavapoo no longer needs to wait for us, she gets the Pup to do
her dirty work for her now!


They sure are smart when they want to be!
KA2AEV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM
  #11  
RCTech Member #2
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
It's a Poodle, that's your wife's dog Troy, not yours.

YOUR dog is the one who chases the hose for a drink. Your WIFE'S dog is the one who opens doors for treats.

Dang wives, always "one upping" us.

Stick with the water drinker, cooler dog
He's a Bichon... not a poodle. lol
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM
  #12  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,080
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
He's a Bichon... not a poodle. lol
Clearly, how could I have ever made that mistake
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
GundamWZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posts: 4,718
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Man you need a bigger cage...

I similar style cage like that, but larger, for my wife's Chihuahua...and its irritating to hear those paws walk on that plastic surface.
GundamWZero is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service